Do you copyright your songs before showing it to producers?

• 4 Replies

QuestionAsker

• Busker
« on: February 16, 2023, 12:25:34 AM »
I’ve been working on an EP the past year and have 5 songs I feel are solid and ready to be recorded, and then released under my own artist name (will be my first release).

I’ve only composed it with voice and guitar, production is my weak point, so my plan is to record them as solid demos with just guitar and vocals and show them to a few producers near me.

I’d probably show it to about 4-5 producers, I don’t really know them, just people near me, or ones that have been recommended through acquaintances, etc.

Just wondering how many on here register their songs before showing them to producers or shopping them around to artists / etc.

(I've read it's also much better to copyright songs individually, vs as a group, as it's much more beneficial in case it does every become a legal issue.

I also think I have to copyright them again, once I'll do the official release? Or is that not the case, if the lyrics/melody haven't really changed?)

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2023, 12:40:09 AM »
In the U.S. copyright is automatic as soon as a work is in a "fixed" form (written down or recorded). It's a good idea to mark it as copyrighted. If you type out the lyrics and save a digital file, for instance, you can put the copyright notice at the bottom. Voilá! It's copyrighted. You can *register* your copyrights for additional protection if you like.

If you're in the U.S., you are correct that you have more flexibility in protecting your copyright if you register each work individually. But you also have protections if you register your copyrights in groups. Things are always changing, it seems, so it would be a good idea to do some research and/or consult an IP (intellectual property) attorney before you make your decision.

Incidentally, I know at least one professional who does a LOT of sync licensing and who NEVER registers any of his copyrights.

I hope this is helpful.

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2023, 12:54:44 PM »
I guess it's always good and useful to have your back covered but at the same time you should bear in mind the chances of one of the producers 'stealing' your song is small and the chances of them doing so and making millions from it are even smaller. That said, it has to happen to someone (right?) so having evidence that the song is yours and copyrighted is strategically a good move!

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2023, 12:56:30 PM »
I guess I should also add that what exactly you're looking for/asking from the producer will be important. Do you just want them to producer a track on a work for hire or is it more a co-writing endeavour with royalties and authorship split (what if they add a killer bass line hook or an insanely ear worm synth riff?).

QuestionAsker

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2023, 03:01:40 AM »
I guess I should also add that what exactly you're looking for/asking from the producer will be important. Do you just want them to producer a track on a work for hire or is it more a co-writing endeavour with royalties and authorship split (what if they add a killer bass line hook or an insanely ear worm synth riff?).

That's one thing I've been wondering about too - how that works when the producer adds their input, as from what I understand, it happens quite often. I don't see producers often on songwriting credits, so I wonder where their split comes in.