konalavadome

A Christmas Carol

• 7 Replies

Wicked deeds

« on: December 02, 2022, 01:22:22 PM »
Perhaps, I've gone mad.  Who knows.  This isn't really finished. It may never be and so it must reside here in the graveyard of forgotten songs.  It's already too long but I feel that I would need to write a song of epic proportions in order to communicate this story in it's entirety

https://soundcloud.com/wicked-deeds/a-christmas-carol

A Christmas Carol

“Deck the halls with bows of holly.”
“What is Christmas to you but a time for paying bills without money”

A man I once loved came to me in a dream.
“In life I was your friend.  No more time to make amends.
Friendships can die.  Where does that leave you and I ?“

If only love was cherished between mortals.
Then we would witness heaven here on earth.
A Christmas Carol sang across the earth.

A girl I once knew, now a ghost from the past.
Our vows to have and hold, were perhaps a little bold.
Promises die, where does that leave you and I?”

“Deck the halls with bows of Holly.”

The days move forward.  Nothing is sacred but love.

“Deck the halls with bows of Holly, fa la la la la la la la la.”
“What is Christmas but a time for paying bills without money?”

We age and wither, nothing is sacred but love.

Wicked Deeds

https://soundcloud.com/wicked-deeds/a-christmas-carol
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 09:46:18 AM by Wicked deeds »

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2022, 01:01:32 PM »
Aw...I checked-in to grab a listen to this one...I was intrigued!

I had the (probably bonkers) notion of trying to do a last-minute one of my own...but I think I'll err on the side of caution!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Kafla

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2022, 05:20:31 PM »
I think this is terrific mate …all Christmas spice and Dickensian….  :-*

Loving the vocals….vary rare to hear you put anything but basic effects on them…it makes them stand out more  8)

That being said I know you can throw the kitchen sink at the production….and it deserves it 🤩

Wicked deeds

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2022, 06:50:42 PM »
@Kafla and indeed anyone who is following this thread:

This one was written so quickly.  I had a plan that nestled somewhere in my head.  I realised that I had to record  in my DAW to enable me to make further progression.  It is only now that I have a strong sense of how to develop the arrangement.  This will involve changing the current arrangement.  However, much will depend on the busy schedule that I have at work leading up 'til Christmas.  If all else fails, I break up on the 22nd for a break of almost 2 weeks  :)

My thoughts:

"Deck the halls with bows of holly@  (the best way to introduce the theme of Christmas.  A tactic that will be used throughout to introduce different elements of a Dickensian like tale.  It is first employed to signal the first ghostly visit.

@What is Christmas to you but a time for paying bills without any money."  a direct quote from Dickens' story 'A Christmas Carol'

Thoughts can be like ghosts and so just as Ebeneezer Scrooge is visited by an old friend, I recall an old friendship, one that sadly no longer exists.:

A man I once loved came to me in a dream.
“In life I was your friend.  No more time to make amends.
Friendships can die.  Where does that leave you and I ?“

'Deck the halls with bows of holly'  used a second time to introduce the ghost of Christmas past.   it could be thoughts of a sweetheart from many years ago, (just as it is in the Dickens novel.)  It could also be thoughts of a n ex wife or husband.  I chose to reflect upon the end of a marriage:

A girl I once knew, now a ghost from the past.
Our vows to have and hold, were perhaps a little bold.
Promises die, where does that leave you and I?”

'Deck the halls with bows of holly.'  This will signal the entrance of the ghost of Christmas present and it will therefore reflect my thoughts on how it might be possible to find heaven, here on earth:

A Christmas Carol heard across the earth.

'Deck the halls with bows of holly.'  used again to signal the ghost of Christmas future:

Days move forward, nothing is sacred but love.
We age and wither, nothing is sacred but love.

A Christmas carol heard across the earth.
A Christmas carol heard across the earth.  (upon reflection,  heard is so much better than "sang")

'Deck the halls with bows of holly, fa la la la la la la la la'
'Deck the halls with bows of holly, fa la la la la la la la la'

The completion of the above is a signal to rejoice in the here and now.  My production, should reflect this, possibly introducing many musical elements to communicate a feeling of being grateful, happiness and of Course of Christmas.

I think the above thoughts should reflect the final production if I find the time to address it.

Many thanks @PaulAds and @kafla

Paul

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2022, 11:57:53 AM »
Wowser!

This is fabulous. I had a couple of listens yesterday…it’s a really special thing.

It struck me as being the sort of thing that “people like us” shouldn’t be capable of doing…but you are.

If (Prince) Andrew Lloyd(s-Bank)-Weber and Timothy Fried Rice had done this, the clown-show media machine would be once again telling us what geniuses they are.

I’m pleased they didn’t because

A it wouldn’t have been as good
2 I wouldn’t be able to say “I know the guy who made this”

And

D I can listen without feeling like I’m being manipulated

It’s a work of art, this is.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Wicked deeds

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2022, 07:38:57 PM »
Sometimes, I think that I write for no one other than myself.  It's almost a testimony, that says "I am/was here."  When I read such kind praise, I really am grateful to find that someone has recognised/understands or perhaps appreciates the thoughts that have welled inside, jostling for the opportunity to be heard.  Thank you so much @PaulAds .

popitup

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2022, 04:54:03 AM »
Hey ! I went to listen, have you removed this link ? Anyways, just so you know, I am listening, and appreciate what you do very much.

Wicked deeds

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2022, 02:42:22 PM »
@popitup thank you so much for tuning in to this as you do to so much of my work.  I replaced the file with the finished version: so a version exists in the above link.  It's always lovely https://soundcloud.com/wicked-deeds/a-christma-carol such a fine songwriter like yourself enjoys the work that I do.  I now have a two week holiday which began at midday today.  I'm therefore hoping to write one or two new pieces.  I have so little time at the moment due to work commitments  but I am so looking forward to the period of rest and celebration. 

Many thanks

Paul