konalavadome

Same riff though Verses and Choruses

• 7 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« on: August 08, 2022, 04:19:33 PM »
Afternoon all

I've notice lately that there are more and more songs don't move the key of the instruments from Verse to chrous, only the Vox moves, Is this lazy or brilliant?, maybe it's an old thing... did Smoke on the Water have a chorus, or just the end of a verse?

Just curious that's all, love to hear your opinion.

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2022, 07:47:33 PM »
I come down on the 'brilliant' side of this discussion - especially if the riff is the central 'hook' motif of the song. There are some very creative ways to re-use the same riff and still keep it interesting by either moving it up/down an octave, changing the instrument that plays it; using FX or reverb to give it a different vibe or even changing the underlying chords it is playing over. I also think that reversing the riff is also a great trick in some cases, as is using a synth line to foreshadow or reinforce a vocal hook melody. You can also witch up the percussion and/o add some interesting counter-melody to freshen thing up if needs be - though that's not always necessary.

There's an argument to be made that its doing 'more with less', and certainly the like of Max Martin have done quite well for themselves in having these insanely catchy and repetitive ear worms.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2022, 09:43:52 AM »
@Sing4me88 - I agree, I'm also camped in the the 'brilliant' side of the field, I tend to think that one is bound by the rules of music theory as to what can fit, but as you know I don't really play by the rules, so this is food from heaven for me.

I'm working on a piece with this structure, got the riff, now working on the Verses, and as it can be free form, I'm wondering about a Bridge and or Choruses, my instinct tells me both, as the riff is constant, and it'll add contrast. I'll also add, as you say, contrast in other ways, might even be a tape stop, perc, mangling of instruments, reverses etc.

I'm loving it.

All about U - by 2Pac is an example of the idea...

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2022, 06:45:47 PM »
Interesting thread CPM...
I was having similar thoughts when Prince's "When Doves Cry" came on the radio recently.  I'd never noticed before but it doesn't really have a chorus!  Or if it does, the chorus is the same chords and melody as the verses.  It is the same vocal melody ALL THE BLINKIN' WAY THROUGH, so it is kind of the opposite of what you describe here.  Yet for some reason, it isn't boring.  Probably because of the production and build with the backing vocals etc.  Like you suggest here, I think it goes to show that a song can be interesting if one thing stays constant (whether that is a riff or the vocal melody) and other things evolve around it.
Perhaps the Beatles "Tomorrow Never Knows" is another earlier example... one vocal melody, even just one CHORD in this case, but still totally awesome due to the really interesting production.  So yeah, I guess it is an old thing... 1966 at least - I'm sure there must be earlier cases.
It's all too beautiful.

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2022, 08:41:12 PM »
Hi CPM, another one came on the radio yesterday - Bowie's "Rebel Rebel" (1974).  The riff is almost relentless throughout... I think it takes 8 bars off in the whole song or something... definitely what you describe in the thread title here.  I'm a massive Bowie fan but I actually think the riff is a bit toooo full on in this song.
It's all too beautiful.

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2022, 09:25:23 PM »
I can think of a few that have the same chord sequence all the way through.  The magic (if it is that!) is what you do with them.

Take Radioactive by Imagine Dragons.  On an acoustic guitar it is Capo on 2 and Am, C, G, D all the way trough.   Doesn't sound like it though.
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2022, 10:48:54 AM »
Love Profusion by Madonna, Hangover, Higher or actually almost anything else by Taio Cruz. Great songs that just work. Excellent for when someone asks you to play something after midnight...

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2022, 11:04:02 AM »
Lovely to hear your opinions.

I'm inspired to do the idea justice...justice...justice...justice