Ode to the Lonely

• 13 Replies

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« on: July 31, 2022, 08:40:41 PM »
Yo folks. I appear to be having a period of lyrical redundancy,I think I've wrung myself out during the time of my Da's illness and passing.

Anyway,the music is still coming,so this is the latest piece of meaningless frippery masquerading as an instrumental.   ;D

https://soundcloud.com/skub1955/ode-to-the-lonely/s-iGDfkugjWBy?utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2022, 08:34:09 AM »
Meaningless frippery my arse! wish I could do meaningless frippery that carried such weight, fabulous instrumental, kept expecting Clint Eastwood to burst through the door and shoot me!
A beautiful melancholy pice my friend.
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

devilhoned

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2022, 11:15:31 AM »
Some Americana meets pink floyd-y guitar heights..was that the ebow prominent around 2.45 or is it all the way through? Looks like a pricey bit of kit,i need to go to the music production section now,as to how to get this overall sound. It started with me hearing a `song` a vocal melody in the REM/Cowboy Junkies style but then it turned pure instrumental. Great.

dinnerwithgreedo

• Platinum Album
    • Facebook fanpage
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2022, 07:31:23 PM »
Loved it! Spent the whole song trying to come up with a melody for it (it's just something i do) and realised, it doesn't need one.
Remember.... it's just my opinion. It doesn't make me right. Although i probably am ;)

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2022, 08:19:34 AM »
Absolutely dripping in wide screen cinematic atmosphere Davy.  I don’t know how ebows  work but I think I want one now. Supreme playing.
It's all too beautiful.

ProfessorFalken

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2022, 09:32:15 AM »
I'm getting floyd vibes too. I'm not a big fan over twiddle guitar, but this is nicely understated and carries depth and emotion. There's some interesting tones and effects on the guitars that really soar. Good stuff.

Kafla

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2022, 12:27:29 PM »
Always love your playing Davy - you wring quite some emotion from that guitar ❤️❤️

Great brooding arrangement - intro is gloriously emotive and it builds and builds.

I would love to be able to play like you man 🥰

Andy   

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2022, 08:11:35 PM »
Awesome instrumental. Great guitars and loads of atmosphere. I might benefit from a vocal, but then again it stands up perfectly as it is. I can imagine this being used in a film..not sure what type of film tho. As has been mentioned, Pink Floyd does sort of spring to mind. Can't get over how good the guitar playing is here. great track. :)

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2022, 09:54:12 AM »
Hi Davy - I've been liking your instrumentals lately. This is broody and sad, but as you say there is a hopefulness somewhere there. I have no idea what an elbow does but it's very cool.

Wicked deeds

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2022, 10:25:47 AM »
@Skub,

Your lyrics will arrive.  I often deliberately take breaks from writing.  New experiences bring a stream of thoughts tha  become lyrics.  The good news is that your musical skills are very much in tact.  It shouldn't take too much to to add a collecton of lyrical thoughts to the  cool backing music.  I eagerly await that time.

Wicked

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2022, 07:10:38 PM »
Lyrics are overrated  ;D
Well. maybe not and instrumentals seldom really gets me like a great chorus can but still, this is nice!
To me the mix is overly bright at places e.g. the intro part but that might just be me.
Other than that, no nits from me!
PS: Lyrics will come, don't worry :-)

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2022, 07:33:08 PM »

@devilhoned The ebow comes and goes from the beginning,but yeah you can hear it plainly from around 2.58. It does the long sustained notes,kinda like a violin.

Thanks very much to all who listened and commented,much appreciated.   8)

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2022, 07:56:46 PM »
Hola @Skub
I like it because it is calm, it has landscape and air in the face. Very nice listening.

I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2022, 08:49:02 AM »
What a delicious combination of fabulous guitar sounds Davy @Skub This is almost cinematic, especially the introduction. I think that it's interesting to do an instrumental now and again and think that this one works perfectly as it is :)