Scarlet Please

• 11 Replies

Wicked deeds

« on: July 28, 2022, 06:44:35 AM »
My research into auras, informed me that the colour red is associated with being grounded and with positive energy.   I'm not so sure about auras but this is a story about two characters: Mr Jones and Suzy.  Both have had a tough time of late. They are essentially 'upbeat', 'grounded', and 'happy'.  In life that doesn't always prepare us for the unexpected trials that can literally break our hearts.  'Scarlet Please' is their request to the universe to surround them with the colour red to maintain the aura that they have worked so very hard to maintain for many years.

https://soundcloud.com/wicked-deeds/crimson-redscarlet-please

Mr Jones observed the street, the sky above his head.

It could have been a better day, alas his heart, was dead.

Scarlet please, for an upbeat kind of guy.

Instinctively, he’s grounded though he’d sometimes wish to fly.

Suzy cries beside her man for love she dare not speak.
she longs to see her adult son. He’s missed from week to week.

Scarlet please for an upbeat kind of 'gal'.
Instinctively she’s happy, though he’s broken her morale.

Scarlet when the chips are down. 

Winter grey will ruin the day.

Observe this winter frown.

Crimson red, healing , so determined.

Banish every hurt that plagues me so.

Crimson red, the aura of perfection.

Icy winds have gripped and won’t let go

Crimson red, healing, so determined.

Banish every hurt that plagues me so.

Crimson red, the aura of perfection.

Icy winds have gripped and won’t let go.

Written by Paul Vasey July 2022

https://soundcloud.com/wicked-deeds/crimson-redscarlet-please
« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 12:45:30 PM by Wicked deeds »

Wicked deeds

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2022, 11:53:42 AM »
I guess it's ok to bump this song which was posted 4 days ago. It's in danger of slipping off the board without a single comment.

Paul

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2022, 12:03:44 PM »
Hola @wicked deeds

I really liked the spirit of the general atmosphere here, dynamic, walking along with your voice. Very beautiful song, it filled me with crimson-red energy. I don't know if it's commercial or not, you know, it's all concepts but I do know that it's beautiful and that it conveys something that makes the listener feel good. Very nice arrangement. Maybe you could integrate more the voice with the base playing with the reverb? But they are tastes of each one, nothing more so I will live the day with the color red in the heart.

Have a nice Sunday
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

devilhoned

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2022, 01:21:30 PM »
I liked it,could have done more with the `chorus` `Scarlet` line after the 2 minute mark,and like the way it was buidlng up to that,nice melody on the first `verse` leading to `Scarlet...!!`,could have rounded that out a bit,but it seems okay without strong sing-song melody. Bit REM in the vocal before they turned big,vocals very 80s US indie/ college radio.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2022, 08:36:43 AM »
You have an inimitable style Mr wicked, this is at once beautiful and frustrating when you missed the opportunity of a cracking chorus, but maybe you knew that and didn't want to be obvious, we'll never know,
super work!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 10:54:36 AM by shadowfax »
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

dinnerwithgreedo

• Platinum Album
    • Facebook fanpage
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2022, 07:37:56 PM »
I liked this but it was as if something was missing. Can't put my finger on what. Maybe a contrasting, big oomphy chorus.
But hey, maybe you didn't want one.
Really good production.
Remember.... it's just my opinion. It doesn't make me right. Although i probably am ;)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2022, 09:14:45 PM »
Like the way that you've been experimenting with different soundscapes Paul. Love the drone psychedelic touches. That backwards guitar is always a winner.  Very well put together and produced but I kinda wanted more. Top stuff

StevieJ

• Open Mic
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2022, 03:11:38 PM »
Hi mate, liking the vocal on this it's almost like a whisper but suits the arrangement so well. I don't think it needs a big chorus I think it's just a song that gets better with more listens rather than an instant banger. nice job man

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2022, 10:01:04 AM »
Hey Paul, I was hooked right from the intro on this... those backwards sounds (and I like the way they creep back in as details later in the song, in the outro).  It's funny, I was going to comment how the chorus really stuck out to me - I loved the leap up with the 'SCAR-let please!' line... I thought that was enough to make it one of your best choruses... I guess we all hear things differently.  Structurally I enjoyed it too - the way it has quite a strong pivot into the outro which has a different feel.  I'm glad it doesn't return to a chorus at the end (so it is an outro not a middle 8) - keeps it interested.
It's all too beautiful.

Wicked deeds

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2022, 09:46:06 PM »
It's really interesting to read the different takes on "Scarlet Please.". I believe there's potentially a big chorus here but I chose to let the song evolve in a very natural manner. I'm really happy with the outcome.

@PaulyX, @pompeyjazz, @dinnerwithgreedo, @shadowfax, @devilhoned, @moraamarolaloba, thank you for commenting. It is always appreciated.

The following may be of further interest:

https://www.monthbymonth.co.uk/post/interview-paul-vasey

Wicked

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2022, 12:49:25 PM »
Yo Paul.

I love this shift in direction for you. The phasing backdrop gives an excellent launching pad for the subject. Great little percussion touches which add greatly to the recipe. Lots of little things the listener only notices after repeated listens.

Also good to hear you sing a little differently from your whispering intimate style. I think you ought to do more explore your voice. We get glimpses on 'scarlet'.

Lovingly crafted and it shows.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2022, 11:57:54 AM »
Super interesting sounds and atmosphere which really kept my interest.
There's a great power to the backing in places and the way you sing "scarlet".
I thought it ended a bit suddenly so perhaps one more "scarlet" would work?
Lyrics are subtle - despite the clues I might not have understood without the description, so I might have been thinking scarlet = blood...!
Very intriguing and original work again.