SSL Plugins

• 2 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« on: August 25, 2022, 01:01:59 PM »
Watch out for SSL plugs, they have been coming up every so often with massive discounts, on their own website, I have bought a few and they are classy, and sound prisitine, compared to some, 3rd party emulations (Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.) for example the Flexverb is (imho) a breath of fresh air for chamber and room verbs, so many of them, are either really CPU intesive or rather "out of focus" - such as bx_rooms for example, or Waves Abbey Road Chambers just eats CPU.

SSL is well known for it's super clean desks , from this Plugins have been created emulating bit of the desk..EQ's, Channel Strips and a brilliant bus Compressor, which glues the mix together.

One I tried and didn't buy recently was the X Gate - this was simply the best gate I've ever had the pleasure to use (and I have a few), the control on the SSL gate was simply brilliant, I used it on a kick and a snare, and talk about snappy!!! It pipped the Sonnox drum gate. I'll wait till Black FRiday to see if that comes up there.

One last thing is that the usual plugin sites don't discount as much as SSL, so avoid places like Plugin Boutique for SSL plugs.. Thomann are quite competitive, due to the exchange rate.

No I'm nothing to do with SSL, and of course this is only my view.

Anyway thought it might help someone here...

Rich

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2022, 01:03:58 PM »
@cowparsleyman

Cheers Rich

The Waves SSL strip is definitely one of my “go to” plugins

Would you consider the SSL version an upgrade? - I may be upgrading my setup soon so would be interested in your experience if you have tried both?
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2022, 04:34:02 PM »
@cowparsleyman

Cheers Rich

The Waves SSL strip is definitely one of my “go to” plugins

Would you consider the SSL version an upgrade? - I may be upgrading my setup soon so would be interested in your experience if you have tried both?

@Boydie - I have the waves 4000G and E along with the 9000 EV2, I also have the bx console 4000 consoles and the 9000J, the focusrite and the Neve emu, plus the IK multimedia channel strips.
SSL are definitely better than all of these,  they have a deal on at the moment, check it out, to my ears SSL is super clean, no extremes of trying to emulate the SSL sound, it just sounds so transparent and sweeping a band looking for the sweet spot is just so easy, if you have fabfilter ProQ3 / limiter and compressor and SSL Stuff you’re pretty much sorted, i still swear by the waves CLA 2, nothing Ive tried comes close for LVox.

There aren’t many presets but You know how to drive this thing, so you’ll be fine.

Kicks sound punchy, snares snappy, the comp and expand work well, you can try before you buy… let me know what you decide.