konalavadome

Putting Yourself Forward in the Music World

• 1 Replies

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« on: July 16, 2022, 02:22:47 PM »
So, I think I'm progressing towards the point where I want to start making songwriting "comercially viable". Look, I'm not talking about making shed-loads of money... baby steps! But, going off the two bands I'm writing for/have written for, I'm beginning to feel like I can - with a fantastical amount of effort (and luck) - go further.

I've been looking at the stuff I done so far and I'm getting the feeling things are starting to move forwards.

The two bands I write for currently put their music our (somewhat) commercially. One song in particular seems to  be taking off in terms of streams and, if my maths is correct, just from Spotify alone has technically netted me over £20 (estimated from the 80K+ streams at the lowest rate of $.003 per stream and my 10% share of the royalties). Not a lot, I know, but it's better than a kick in the teeth (between the two, the songs I've co-written have 150K streams on Spotify). So that's not including other streaming sites or actual sales.

I'm trying to find different ways of getting myself noticed now. I'm doing a lot of work on Facebook - trying to ingratiate myself with different music-based groups to make connections, etc,) but wondered what else I can do.
Any ideas?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 12:37:29 PM by Sterix »

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2022, 08:06:17 AM »
@Sterix

I think much depends on what exactly it is you want to be known for

If it is the lyric/song writing only (ie you don’t want to be an “artist”) I would suggest a few approaches

The first, is to really push hard for a publishing deal, where you can find someone who has the contacts to push your material to the right people

Even as a “non-artist”, I think it would be best to have a finished “product” to sell - eg it is great having 100 different sets of lyrics - but, IMHO, it would be better to have 10 really good, finished, recorded songs as demos

This way you can send these around to bands, artists, and publishers to see if you can get more songs placed

If you don’t have access to a band, session musicians, studios etc. I think this would be a good investment if you really want to give it a go

For what it is worth, I think you have been doing EXACTLY the right thing collaborating with bands, and it is important to stop and recognise what you have already achieved as those Spotify stats represent some excellent recognition for your craft
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic