konalavadome

The Sadness Of Belonging

• 13 Replies

Wicked deeds

« on: July 14, 2022, 10:44:09 PM »
I went through a phase of writing the happiest songs before deciding to observe some of my darker thoughts.   Whilst it helped my creativity, it had such a detrimental affect on my peace of mind and happiness.
Songwriting in my opinion, has such power. It can affect the mood and events in the life  of a writer.

https://m.soundcloud.com/wicked-deeds/the-sadness-of-belonging

The Sadness of belonging

Welcome to my universe
where superheroes lay down their arms.
Sometimes, they curse and swear,
wearing a suit that was once debonair.

Welcome to this circus show. 
Should I stay, should I go?
I chose an adventure that took me away from the pain.

You destroyed the moonlight.
With every betrayal, my will to fight was gone.
The sadness of belonging.

Welcome to the pleasure dome.
Where absent fathers search for a place to call home.
I do declare, wearing a suit that was once debonair.

Hindsight is saying,  I couldn’t do anything new.
What should I do.  Such a mess!

Written by Paul Vasey March 2022

https://m.soundcloud.com/wicked-deeds/the-sadness-of-belonging
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 07:29:07 PM by Wicked deeds »

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2022, 06:41:47 PM »
@Wicked deeds

Hola! I understand what you say in the post and I think the same. Writing has many faces, two of them are the ones that are most clearly seen, it makes us prisoners while it frees us... sometimes it doesn't happen that way, we remain trapped by the atmosphere that certain words have generated in certain lines. ..

The lyrics of this song are very good and the delivery of the melody goes very well. Perhaps I would add a background with less treble, darker to highlight the drama of the story, making the sound spectrum deeper.

Good song.

Stay well

Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2022, 02:48:02 PM »
Doom laden lyrics my friend...saved by an excellent instrumental arrangement and good tune,
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2022, 06:46:54 PM »
Hey @Wicked deeds … I write a lot of dark songs… funny though they don’t drag me down, quite the opposite… it’s like a dark feeling, thought or experience will be purged by turning it into a song… and of course, often the song will be darker than the snippet that sparked it!!

This is dark and beautifully written. The backing/instrumentation serves that darkness perfectly. As always with your songs, it’s expertly played and produced. And vocally, delivered with such emotion.

I loved it!!

K

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2022, 12:25:54 PM »
Great song, WD. Love some of the imagery your lyrics portray. Some nice turns of phrases. And love the tune too. Can't fault it.

Wicked deeds

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2022, 05:05:13 PM »
@Sterix youre reply has  warmed my heart when I needed it most. Thank you sincerely. Repect to you!
WD

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2022, 05:17:49 PM »
Yo Paul.

Gloriously oblique lyrics add to the recipe of this this mournfully melodic piece.

Love that little drop out around 1.43. Lovely dynamics.

A delicate master at work.

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2022, 08:02:41 PM »
Hi Paul,

I've no idea why, because it sounds nothing like it, but the song Hazard by Richard Marx comes to mind. Maybe it's the vibe of the song; that darkness you mentioned.
Loving the soundscape and the wonderfully exposed vocal.

Dark without being oppressive. Very nice balance to strike.

Digger

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2022, 05:26:42 PM »
The thing about darkness is that often you find others who understand or appreciate the same darkness.
There's a real depth - and alas tragedy - here that we can engage with if we wish - while the musicality attracts us in.
The suit is a stunning image and the pleasuredome is a lovely touch.
Tragic but beautiful; a real piece of art.

Maya Clars

• Solo Gig
  • Follow me on Instagram (@mayaclars)
    • mayaclars.com
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2022, 11:04:10 AM »
Short pieces of major key (0:11, 0:27 and etc) in the general minor character sound interesting in this song.
Beautiful and full-sounding melody, pleasant vocals. Really enjoyed the listen.

Maya

Wicked deeds

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2022, 09:16:16 PM »
Before Moving on to a new song, I wanted to thank everyone for the heart-warming comments which, are greatly appreciated. 

Wicked Deeds

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2022, 10:51:48 PM »
Hi Paul, I listened to this once 10 days or so ago but didn't have time to comment, so coming back to it tonight, I found I was able to remember the chorus before re-listening, from that one listen 10 days back.  So that's a good sign I think ... I find the chorus really hooky.  Love the chord progressions in that part and the way it resolves to the 'sadness of belonging' line, plus the reach up to falsetto in your voice at the start of the chorus.  Also loved the fluid bassline, and the beautifully played acoustic licks.  The title is intriguing too... 'belonging' normal implies happiness doesn't it, so that drew me in too.  Top work.
It's all too beautiful.

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2022, 12:42:33 AM »
I love this. A really airy feel to the production. Great vocal too. An element of psychedelia about this which will always win me over. No crits at all from me. A terrific track that I want to play loud. Excellent :)

devilhoned

• Busker
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2022, 12:14:40 PM »
Like Digger72 I thought of Richard Marx`s `Hazard` (I remembered the haunting music before the verses,Digger gave me the title,thanks,lovely song--I knew it was 80s,and I can`t have heard it that often for the music to `stick`) This song is sparser,more eerie,with great lyrics and intriguing title. I`d`ve liked to have heard more bass,and maybe licks of another instrument,synth,or organ...kind of how I recall another 80s name `The The`,Uncertain Smile,Matt Johnson`s style,I may be wrong,but it`s in that English indie genre (Kevin Ayers?)...slightly sinister.