A Walk in the Park

• 10 Replies

Hello Midlands

• Busker
  • Cautiously optimistic...
« on: June 22, 2022, 12:28:23 AM »
Sincere Apologies!

This is a song that's featured on a collection I just made, but I posted a link to all of them the first time without paying proper attention to the guidelines. Sorry!

So, this song is the first one from that collection - which is a series of six songs that all take place outdoors. I was trying to *quickly* write a number of songs around a focus to kind of jump-start my writing again, having been away from it for quite a while. They are in a *kind* of sequence and I think make more sense in that order, but it's not a concept album or anything like that. Hopefully a more relaxed set of moods that you can move through.

This first one is trying to evoke a kind of romance, desperation and danger. The idea was to tell a story about a meeting between two people, probably lovers, who have DONE something bad - but we're not sure what. They decide to meet one last time...

I'd be really interested to hear how people feel about the pacing of the song, and if the arrangement brings you into it quick enough. One of my anxieties about a few of these songs is managing creating mood, alongside getting people 'into' the melody.

Some links:
https://open.spotify.com/track/2g2yH3dlQEwNOHZFKGunXg?si=08ad1ecdb68e4940

https://music.apple.com/us/album/a-walk-in-the-park/1625415571?i=1625415572

https://hellomidlands.bandcamp.com/track/a-walk-in-the-park

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2022, 11:40:35 PM »
Hi @Hello Midlands

Nice little song. Simple but nicely done and sung.  Like the storyline too.

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 06:57:21 PM »
Hola @Hello Midlands

I like the vibe that surrounds the song in the intro, it sets the listener up and takes them to the park.
I really liked your way of singing the story, it gives it a very special intimacy and cadence. and the lyrics are very good.

Stay well

Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

man made material

• Solo Gig
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2022, 03:47:48 PM »
@Hello Midlands a great atmospheric piece, I can feel the warmth of the sun! The background piano tinkling seems to really evoke the heat… really like your delivery, interesting lyrically too, nice one!👍
Sound formed in a vacuum may seem a waste of time...

Hello Midlands

• Busker

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2022, 12:29:58 PM »
This is a lovely,delicate song.

The power is in the lyrics,there's almost a rap feel to the communication.

You have your own very definite style.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2022, 05:58:08 PM »
Hello @Hello Midlands and welcome to the forum - Well, this is a bit different and really enjoying it. Enjoying your softly sung / spoken vocals and laid back jazzy backing track. Well thought out lyrics all adds up to a fascinating forum debut. Looking forward to hearing some more of your stuff in future posts.

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2022, 09:10:41 PM »
Nice to meet you @Hello Midlands .
I thought that was really rather excellent.  The lyrics tell just enough of a story but I love the way you keep it a little vague and surprising with a twist, like the way only the last line of the choruses alludes to something sinister having happened.  And the way you switch 'find out' for 'forgive' in the last chorus, as if reality is finally kicking in.
Delivery was really interesting - made me think of Jarvis Cocker... he manages to inject the same kind of desperation into his voice that you had at times in this.
And the tinkling piano was a creative and very nice backdrop.  Also liked the birdsong and the police siren... all part of the atmosphere.  Plus the ending was a very neat way to round things off.
So overall a really great track - original with loads going for it.  Hope you stick around, post some reviews and share more tracks coz this one is a winner.
It's all too beautiful.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2022, 08:27:45 AM »
A lovely story with an atmospheric backround..cleverly done my friend.
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Whiteorange

• Busker
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2022, 09:13:00 PM »
This is one cosy song. It's like some kind of rural jazz piece. The sounds of the birds was a lovely touch. You use your accent perfectly, the aching tenderness of the piece especially struck me. Lovely drum sounds too, the sparseness of them give your words and performance a chance to take centre stage. The whole thing is a wonderful exercise in restraint, delicate and breathless. Superb stuff.

Hello Midlands

• Busker
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2022, 09:42:58 PM »
Wow. Thanks so much for the kind words!
I’ve been offline the last week or so, but these were so lovely to discover when I returned!