Chasing shadows

• 14 Replies

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« on: May 28, 2022, 01:46:05 PM »
Hi
After being nudged by @PaulyX I thought I re-enter the forum for a while and post a tune what I co-write with a lovely Canadian lady called Danielle last year.

She provides her lovely vocals and subject for the song and we just wrote it in an afternoon. We had to change the name to avoid ending a friendship, although I understand subject does like the song with realising its about her!

Anyway enough of all of that, I hope you like it and look forward to hearing your feedback
:-)
neil

https://soundcloud.com/neilconnor-2/chasing-shadows-master-19-may-2021

Just off to find the lyrics.

:-)
neil

songwriter of no repute..

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2022, 01:59:55 PM »
Welcome back @Neil C  Great to see you about these parts again!

I really like this – as one would expect, it’s beautifully played and produced and I really like Danielle’s vocal – she has a great smoky, jazzy tone to her voice that works really well with the song.

You haven’t posted the lyrics yet but I did like what I heard.. and the he “who’s chasing….” lyric is clever and works really well, makes for a memorable lyrical hook!

You make a great team! Hope to hear more of your collaborations!

K

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2022, 06:59:26 PM »
@Neil C What a great track! A relaxed groove that works so well. The vocals really shine here and the guitar solo is lovely. No crits from me at all. I really enjoyed this :)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2022, 10:50:38 PM »
This is great @Neil C and great to see you back here. Love those jazzy chords and the smoky laid back vibe. Beautiful guitar solo and fabulous vocals. A cracker mate  :)

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2022, 08:56:14 AM »
@Neil C - epic to have one of yours back on the boards.  This is perfect for this lazy Sunday morning while I drink a cup of coffee... very mellow, jazzy, cool easy-listening vibe to it, and Danielle has a brilliant voice for this kind of track.  Expertly played guitar too and very pro-sounding recording.  I really liked it and could imagine it being played in coffee shops up and down the country.  Super work.
It's all too beautiful.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2022, 05:04:36 PM »
What super vocalist you have there for a song well up to the standard required to get a singer this good to sing it. very classy!
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2022, 08:12:13 PM »
Hey Neil, what a smooth sounding track, just the thing you could imagine as late night jazz club cabaret. Fabulous singing and deft and subtle playing. So many things to hate you for really, thinks jealous old me! 😀 Back with style anyway!
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2022, 01:00:34 PM »
Welcome back Neil.

Not really my genre but a pleasant tune. Reminded me a little of Simply Red (just a little).

Alex Kohlgrüber

• Busker
    • Spotify
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2022, 05:18:13 PM »
@Neil C  great vocal delivery and guitar. Class!

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2022, 01:36:58 PM »
Hola @Neil C
I loved the song, it has a really well achieved atmosphere and the voice is telling the story very well!!! Very good!
Maybe I would add more reverb to the guitar that sounds on the left? to match it a bit with the voice
Good lyrics!!

Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2022, 08:44:22 PM »
Lovely, mellow song. Great production, as always.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2022, 03:07:50 PM »
Well fellow forumites thanks for listening :-)

@MonnoDB - thanks for the feedback - she has a great voice which really suits this style, although she does more country style normally. On the lyrics I had to check whether Chasing Shadows had been done. But fortunately it was Chasing Pavements..
And we have written two more but yet to get them recorded.

@ChrisPrice - thanks relaxed grove hits the spot, cheers

@pompeyjazz - thanks for your feedback, I thought I’d post what I think is a strong track, great feedback here

@PaulyX - Sunday morning coffee shops, sounds lucrative sub genre, how do we monertise this???

@shadowfax - spot on re the singer thanks Kev

@MichaelA - you get the prize for funniest response “ so many things to hate you for really” :-) made me very happy

@Sterix - thanks fir commenting and understand your point.
Not a particular fan of Mick but the sold a fair few records in the 80’s..

@Alex Kohlgrüber - thanks for your feedback

@moraamarolaloba - thanks for your great feedback, I’ll have to listen again to the guitar!

@CaliaMoko - thanks and trust you’re keeping well
songwriter of no repute..

Maya Clars

• Solo Gig
  • Follow me on Instagram (@mayaclars)
    • mayaclars.com
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2022, 11:10:27 PM »
Interesting and catchy melody, nice romantic vocals.
I really like the sound of the bass guitar and I listened to the song with pleasure.

Maya

Philipp

• Busker
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2022, 07:16:47 PM »
Great prodiction. Great voice. Can't think of anything to complain about. I just imagine myself in a smokey Jazz bar zipping on a whiskey and enjoying your music!

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2022, 09:46:52 PM »
Yo Neil.
I caught this one on the cloud a week or so ago. I heard hints of Sade in Danielle great vocals. Smooth as butter guitar work.

Super work on the crystal clear,punchy sound too.