Paradise (New Single)

• 4 Replies

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« on: May 27, 2022, 08:28:20 PM »
Welcome to the feel-good song of the summer! You know me for my dark-leaning lyrics of heartbreak and loneliness and other such negativity, but prepare for one of my "happier" topics. Yes, Sterix has written a happy song!  :o

From the moment I heard the first few bars I knew what it was a song about enjoying yourself. And it started that way. But very, very quickly it became a song about meeting "the one". It's probably the least changed song from original to finished lyrics on the album so I'm happy about that.

This is the third song from the as-yet-untitled album (they may have a title - I presume they have by now - but they haven't told me and I haven't asked!) and number 7 on my "Lyrics by Sterix" playlist on Spotify. :P

https://open.spotify.com/track/53H2pEksUR2gRC013qmpEK?si=fb5d112f07254082
https://grasslandsinners.bandcamp.com/track/paradise-single

PARADISE

So, I made it to the weekend
And was ready to cut loose
I was dancing wild and free, when
I spied you across the room
You'd been waiting in the shadows
Took my heart out with both barrels
Wasn't gonna miss

Time slowed down as you walked over
Eyes fixed on me all the way
In my arms, from out of nowhere
You were there as pure as fate
As the jukebox played, I held you
And you smiled. I was compelled to
Move in for a little kiss

You looked surprised
But you pulled me close and held me tight
That was the night
My world changed and I found paradise

(Welcome to paradise)

Ten years and two children later
You still take my breath away
Every night I thank the Maker
For this angel He sent my way
I guess the moral of this story
Is take the chance and best to hurry
All it took: a little kiss

You looked surprised
That was the night
It felt so right
Dancing in your arms that Friday night
That was the night
You gave me the keys to paradise

(Welcome to paradise)

INSTRUMENTAL

Once upon a time: a kiss!
You looked surprised
That was the night
It felt so right
Dancing in your arms that Friday night
That was the night
You gave me the keys to paradise

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2022, 09:13:44 PM »
Ah @Sterix you have gone all red and italic and weird fonts. A happy song from you, blimey that's a rarity. Thought the lyrics were very good. The boys can rock for sure. It's a very AOR rock sound that is very popular on the continent. The French rock station are packed with stuff like this. Very pro and well done. Congratulations to you for getting your paroles out there 👏

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2022, 08:48:48 AM »
Hi Sterix, this is great.  (Why don't you post it in the 'Finished Songs' section so it gets noticed more?).  The singer has got a fantastic voice for this kind of track - characterful, reminded me of American bands like The Black Crowes.  Loved the choppy guitars in it too.  As you say it is a high energy, feel good few minutes.  Lyrically, you're not exactly breaking now ground, but there's nowt wrong with that for this kind of no-nonsense, accessible rock track I'd say.  I hope it gets some attention.
It's all too beautiful.

Sterix

• Platinum Album
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2022, 12:27:05 AM »
Quote from: PaulyX
(Why don't you post it in the 'Finished Songs' section so it gets noticed more?).
I only wrote the lyrics so I'm not really comfortable posting it in finished songs.
The singer has got a fantastic voice for this kind of track - characterful, reminded me of American bands like The Black Crowes
Funny you should say that. That i one of their influences!
Quote from: PaulyX
Lyrically, you're not exactly breaking now ground, but there's nowt wrong with that for this kind of no-nonsense, accessible rock track I'd say.
It started off a little more complex but the singer felt the antagonist came off a little "creepy" with the girl so I ended up paring it down to the bones (we have a LOT of these back-and-forths and I usually end up rewriting them majorly. This one didn't need so much and, besides, the tune was screaming out for simple lyrics.
Thanks for the review.
Quote from: pompeyjazz
Thought the lyrics were very good. The boys can rock for sure. It's a very AOR rock sound that is very popular on the continent. The French rock station are packed with stuff like this. Very pro and well done. Congratulations to you for getting your paroles out ther
Thank you. This was one of the easiest to write for them. A lot of their other songs lacked a consistent structure (at least until the producer got hold of them!) that (a) made them difficult to write initially and (b) had me grasping the edges of my creativity to rewrite them afterwards.
But the work has been (still is in some cases!) worth it. I'm still not sure my work is done on this album! :D

Sterix

• Platinum Album
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2022, 01:12:29 PM »
I'm going to take PaulyX's advice (and Pompey's) and put this in the finished songs area. I'll close this thread.