A Seaside Prayer

• 6 Replies

Whiteorange

• Busker
« on: June 27, 2022, 09:31:24 PM »
Hello people. It's been a while since I was last here. My previous songs were acoustic numbers recorded in one take. This is a bit different. My life has been a bit strange lately and for a while I fell into a precarious and dark place. Instead of doing something in one take I had a few days spare from uni work and decided to make a more elaborate song, this time without a guitar but focusing instead on synths and the like. I'm not sure how people will respond to it, but it felt good to make.

https://soundcloud.com/thelisteningpost/a-seaside-prayer?utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

Just like judgment day
riding down the motorway
running from the empty feeling
and the setting sun
I'm on my way now to the seaside B&B
they got some funny rooms there
that go for free

The sea air breathes life
into my old wicked suit
I rented it from a man
who shared my name
twenty years of slow dancing
with Angie on the arcade
and we sleep on the sand
with a bucket and spade

declare your love tonight
even if your hands are tied
dance out under the stars
where visitors park their cars
our love won't go astray
as long as we both pray
this seaside B&B
will set our old bones free

Thank you!

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2022, 12:39:32 AM »
I like the vocals and lyrics. They tell a story. I like the synth arrangement too. For me it needs a bass line - real or digital. Great song though. I enjoyed this. :)

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2022, 11:43:20 AM »
Yo Whiteorange.

So much to like here. The organ gives a funeral/spiritual aspect to the track,the vocals are the guest preacher at the service. The lyrics are intriguingly oblique,with vivid imagery. I found this to be unusual and powerful.

At the start of the song,the beats seemingly triggered by the vocals,then resting really got my attention. I think it's because the idea on paper wouldn't work for me,it would be a distraction,but yet when I hear it,it carrys weight and works perfectly. Cool trick.  8)

Much enjoyed the listens.

Philipp

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2022, 11:56:18 AM »
I like the beat and (at the beginning) tentative vocals. Interesting lyrics as well. I don't feel that a bass is necessarily missing. Maybe to the end it would have been cool, if there was some offbeat bass. But the track goes well without one too.

Wicked deeds

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2022, 12:16:27 PM »
@Whiteorange,

Good mood setting and excellent use of instruments. I love the story telling. I also love it when I listen to a track and can instantly hear new  productuon ideas.

Quality song
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 12:43:37 PM by Wicked deeds »

StevieJ

• Open Mic
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2022, 01:29:03 PM »
That's a nice story there and I am a fan of quite sparse arrangements when telling a story so I think the vocal, the lyrics and music go really well together.  Nice track!

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2022, 11:08:50 PM »
Really interesting lyrics.  There's something a little melancholy about a seaside town, right?  You nail that feeling perfectly.  I love the way you drop little clues about the backstory in here, without feeling the need to explain them too much (who is Angie?  and why is the suit rented?  etc).  Musically what I liked the most was the 'wobble' / slow vibrato on the organ that opens it.  It makes it sound ancient and fragile, like it is being played on an old cassette that has stretched a bit.  (Do you know the ambient band Boards of Canada?  They do that too... making recent electronic stuff sound like it was recorded in 1974 or something by adding a bit of wobble...).  Anyway, to sum up, interesting and unconventional track that just does its own thing, and does it well.  Nice work.
It's all too beautiful.