konalavadome

Lily In The Rain

• 20 Replies

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« on: May 26, 2022, 03:16:08 PM »
Hi All, Here's a new one for me that I wrote this week. I've gone a bit retro in a 3/4 timing on this one. I wrote it about one of my dogs, she's getting on a bit these days and slowing down a bit, but not enough to want 4 walks a day. It's very therapeutic getting out and about walking and I was just thinking of all the stuff we have experienced over the years. Anyway, a bit nostalgic but that's how the song turned out. Hope that you enjoy the listen, John

V1

Oh I'll never forget that day
When you came home to stay
Been with me now for all these years
We've loved together and we've shed some tears
And always, you're there for me
Looking into my eyes

Ch

I'll be walking Lily in the rain
Hoping that the sun's going to shine again
In my mind, I'll always be
With Lily in the rain

V2

We've travelled oh so long
You helped me carry on
And any time I need a friend
I look at you and you're always there
And even in the darkest times
You make me feel alive

Ch

With Lily in the rain

M8

I'll never forget that night
With you sitting there by my side
We waited 'till the morning light
Then drifted away

Ch

With Lily in the rain
My Lily in the rain

jacksimmons

• Solo Gig
    • Jack Simmons Music Facebook Page
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2022, 04:05:29 PM »
Hey John. I'm always so impressed with your production. This sounds so pro.

It's a really lovely sentiment. It's strange that I've actually been considering a song about our family dog who is also getting on a bit. They really are awesome aren't they?

I thought this was lovely. "I'll be walking Lily in the rain
Hoping that the sun's going to shine again."

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jack-simmons-1/albums
Bandcamp: https://jacksimmonsmusic.bandcamp.com/

"When I play a dope melody, anything less than the best is a felony." - Robert Matthew Van Winkle

Maya Clars

• Solo Gig
  • Follow me on Instagram (@mayaclars)
    • mayaclars.com
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2022, 08:20:38 PM »
The mood of the song is perfectly described by the words "I'll be walking Lily in the rain" While listening to this music, I'm imagining exactly this picture.
Played it several times. I like the slight accent on the unstressed beat. Beautiful blues.

Maya

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2022, 08:54:02 PM »
Thanks so much @Jack Simmons and @Maya Clars That's Lily in the picture doing what she usually does in the rain  :) Dogs are wonderful
I think it's that unconditional love that melts your heart. Thank you for the compliments and the listens  :)

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2022, 11:53:06 AM »
Hola @pompeyjazz

I have listened to the whole song enjoying it. I really like the tempo you have chosen for this style of song, very successful. I liked everything here, the guitars sound great, the color in general is so authentic from a sweeter and more relaxed era... Very good, very good

Stay wellll

Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2022, 01:54:08 PM »
@pompeyjazz

Hi John, some lovely chords and chord structures in there. Drums sounded fab, what did you do differently for them? Nice overall production and the backing vox sounded great. Lovely melody, good work mate!

Jamie

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2022, 09:06:49 PM »
Cheers @Jamie. I used the "Modern Vintage" kit on Ez drummer for this one. I usually use the Prog Rock kit as it has a lot of balls but this one needed a different kit for the vintage vibe

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2022, 06:55:50 PM »
John, this is lovely! It’s such a sweet song  - melody is beautiful! And imagery is great. If you hadn’t told us Lily was a dog, I would never have guessed (well, maybe ‘walking Lily… might have given it away but…🙂)

Anyhoo, beautifully done…. Again … @pompeyjazz

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2022, 09:22:52 AM »
Hey Pomps, this really made me smile.  The first verse sets you up to think it is a love song about a human partner... then the word 'walking' gives it away in the chorus that it is about a dog... which is a lovely twist, and kind of serves to show how genuine the relationship between people and animals can be (Why shouldn't there be love songs about animals?  I can't think of many but there should be!)  3/4 timing felt great for it... I can imagine you and Lily waltzing along Portsmouth sea front to it.  And the 'rain' gives it that perfect happy/melancholy balance that I think is so important to great songs... a bit of salt in the sugar and vice versa.  Another lovely Sunday morning track.  I'm loving the forum this morning... it's like a warm bath for the soul...
It's all too beautiful.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2022, 10:24:07 AM »
@pompeyjazz - I concur with @Jack Simmons - really great production. The song's very catchy too.

Nice to have the time to listen again..

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2022, 08:56:38 AM »
Super song, I can hear Jos Stone singing this mate...
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2022, 11:40:59 AM »
You know I'm going to mention Café Bleu again don't you?! 

Some lovely chord changes here. Just a very well chosen atmosphere and clear production.

We've never met but I feel I know you well from all your songs - which goes to show how honest and relatable they are (not to say prolific).

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2022, 08:04:55 PM »
Very robustly sweet and melancholic, a bit like your ‘Sat on the Ledge One’ in that you create a very evocative mood with very soulful vocals and lots of dips in and out of minor chords. A really lovely song about an animal. I wouldn’t have put my sheep one up if I’d have seen this first. So I came second already in Animal Song of the Month!  ;)

I liked the separation of the instruments with a bit of subtle panning - everything stood out so well. Very nice John, cheers!
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2022, 12:57:34 PM »
I thought I'd posted my thoughts the other day (but I was drunk so probably forgot to post it!).

This taks me back to the 50s (or at least it would if I was that old! :D ). Nice one.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2022, 08:47:49 PM »
Well, this is certainly my style of music...love those triplets. Living in my childhood for three and a half minutes....{swaying to the music}...yeah...I'm old and this style is so familiar to me.