Project 6.04.22

• 17 Replies

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« on: May 20, 2022, 09:20:43 PM »
I'm usually fairly sure of what I want to say with a song,most fall into some category or other by the time I'm done with fiddling.

This one? I dunno.

Maybe you all can tell me what it is and what it's for. Gimme a title too,which would be cool. A half chewed Twix to the winner.   8)

I haven't forgotten the lyrics this time either,there are only a couple of lines,it's mostly instrumental.

Thanks to anyone who has a listen,the track's still on private so here's the link.

https://soundcloud.com/skub1955/project-60422/s-QiP3b5iAEtR?utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 09:08:23 PM by Skub »

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2022, 09:54:59 PM »
Hi @Skub Davy, Love the way that this one is shaping up. For some reason when you hear a song under construction and you have the music but no lyrics a title just jumps out at you and then, yay ! you are on the road to crafting the lyrics to fit the music. I often struggle with this part of the process. For some  strange reason the title "Submarine" jumped out at me in the first 30 seconds of the listen. Don't ask me why,  but just my interpretation. Going to be interesting to see how this on develops  :)

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2022, 10:46:10 AM »
Hola @Skub

I like the sound, the rhythm has reminded me of a tribal dance. Good guitars and atmospheres.
I liked it a lot, it's the first song I listen to today and it left me with a very good impression.
It is excellent work. Title? dance with me Fog

Me ha gustado mucho!!

Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2022, 12:05:26 PM »
It's awesome now so it'll be of the charts when you get it finished.
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2022, 03:53:17 PM »
A question then folks and ta very much for listening. Good to see Kev still around too.   8)

What if this was it finished? Would it work as it is?

I'm kinda in two minds.  ;D

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2022, 01:13:24 PM »
Hey Skub, cool to hear this in its current form.  Genre... hmm, tough one... at first I was getting 'post-rock', but then Dave Gilmour showed up and took things in a more-conventional-but-bloomin-lovely direction... so I'm not sure, but is 'blues-prog' a thing?  Or maybe you just invented blues-prog.
Then onto 'is it finished already'?  I thought it could be, in that it is interesting throughout as a kind of moving landscape of impressive ideas and strikingly good playing.  I wouldn't say it is 'hooky' at the moment though.  So it depends what you're going for of course... if you wanted a kind of engaging interlude /mood piece on an album, already mission accomplished.  If you wanted something that's going to be an ear worm and be instantly-memorable, then I'd say it's not finished, but could easily become that with e.g. some more lyrics.
Title... I like what the others have suggested... for me those guitars always suggest the wide open spaces somehow.  So weirdly the word 'Nevada' comes into my head.  Or you could keep us all happy and call it 'Submarine in the Nevada Fog'.  We'll share the Twix.
Lastly wanted to mention the good combo of synth bass and guitar in this.  That felt a little unusual and I dug it.
It's all too beautiful.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2022, 11:58:38 AM »
Hi Skub - for some reason I got a sci-fi vibe from this one - so not submarine so much as Space Machine (in the Nevada Fog). I think you might be right, I am not sure that lots of lyrics would really add much and they might take away... 

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2022, 05:26:07 PM »
@Skub

Hi Davy, love this as it is.Great guitar tones. In parts it made me think of Zappa around the Joe's garage era. Super cool playing... 8)

Nice one!

jamie

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2022, 07:05:20 PM »
Yeah, I like this. Nice chugging intro and a great trem style lead guitar. Someone mentioned Zappa. Not sure about that but I do like the guitars. If this is work in progress then it's gonna be awesome. I really like it as it is. :)

Maya Clars

• Solo Gig
  • Follow me on Instagram (@mayaclars)
    • mayaclars.com
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2022, 09:58:59 PM »
Very beautiful and melodic intro. Gradual crescendo, then the enchanting sound of the lead guitar and the song and rhythm begin. Really cool.
In result, It went as a stylish rock blues. Original song structure. Interesting to listen to.

Maya

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2022, 02:05:27 PM »
@Skub I guess from your into that generally write the music first and then the lyric? I'm always interested in others' writing processes (or maybe I'm just nosey!)..

Well for me, it's about loss. Obviously I'm getting that from the lyric, but actually it felt a little dark to me even before you started singing.. And I was mulling that about in my head as the music wasn't necessarily that dark when the vocal came in... something very plaintive about that guitar before the la la las...

Actually an instrumental piece with minimal singing is an interesting thing......

I enjoyed this one a lot... It goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway - fab guitars and everything really..

Nice one Davy!

K

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2022, 09:09:04 PM »
I made a few little changes,added a few spoken words,pursuing the 'dark' theme suggested by Karen @MonnoDB

Submarines and Space Machines in the Nevada Fog,it is.  SSMNF.

Thanks all.   8)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2022, 10:21:53 PM »
Yup ! That is fecking excellent Davy. A dystopia world where submarines and space machines end up in the Nevada desert. Mind you nothing would surprise me. Fantastic dynamics and ambience.

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2022, 07:25:07 AM »
Hi @Skub, obviously I’m late to this, so it has been progressed a lot by now I expect.

The guitars are very confident I thought, especially the pre chorus section. I got a very dark mood out of it - could imagine it as a film score, some wizened old detective driving through a major metropolis at night on his way to a gruesome murder scene! Without the lyrics, it prob has legs as a background track for sure.

I liked the vocal melody and the way you sang it, though a bit less keen on the spoken word ‘shadows’ which tended to kill everything a bit quick for me. I wonder if you could find a stronger melody for that bit? If you wanted to, of course! 😉

But once again, in awe of your multi layered guitar orchestra! 👍
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2022, 11:35:19 AM »
@Skub
Just sitting in the sun listening to your melodic playing washing all over me. And a great experience it was too.
Man + Strat + FX’s :-)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..