konalavadome

Take Loads of Drugs! by Professor Falken

• 12 Replies

ProfessorFalken

• Busker
« on: May 19, 2022, 11:53:56 AM »
Okay, so I'm new to the forum and have been enjoying listening to everyones tracks. Im very impressed by the quality - quite intimidated about uploading my stuff actually. I write music in a wide variety of styles ranging from alt-rock to unashamed pop music to experimental electronic music and been at it for 30-odd years and still never really managed to master any instrument as well as i should - thank god for audio editing.

The first track I'm choosing to share I dont actually think is my best work but its the one my friends have always reacted the most to its called "Take Loads of Drugs". I was hesitant at whether to use it as obviously its a bit of a contentious song title - it is however once you hear it obviously ironic and satirical - plus theres that "Drink Me" track that was recently uploaded so Im assuming its all cool.

This is a very,very old recording mixed on very basic equipment. The girl its about used to come around my place to practice with her band and she left her bass behind one time and I decided to write a song on it. Id never touch a bass before and the bass riff is pretty much the first thing that i played on it. I added some motownesque piano and drums and some guitar. The girl in question never knew of my interest in her as i was too chicken to make a pass - she drew a mural on my studio wall - thats the line about the picture she drew. I wanted to record a vocal that sounded a bit mad so got completely rat-arsed drunk and recorded it in one take.

Take Loads of Drugs

I will always live alone,
In the place I call my own,
Its the way life treats me,
I'll cry myself to sleep,
You know the thing that makes me weep,
Is the way you treat me.

Take Loads of Drugs!
And get out of your tree,
You'll feel much better for it,
Believe me!
Take Loads of Drugs!
Take Loads of Drugs!
When you go home you'll feel so much better,
Dont believe a thing they tell you.

Theres the picture that you drew,
It reminds me of you,
Its so beautiful,
I will always love you,
I wish I could tell you,
Its so Hard to say.

Take Loads of Drugs!
And get you're on your own,
Believe me!
Take Loads of Drugs!
Take Loads of Drugs!

Its only the drugs that I've been takin'
That stops my heart from daily breaking,
Its only the drugs I've been takin'
Thats stops my heart from daily breaking.

Take Loads of Drugs!
And get out of your tree,
Believe me!
Take Loads of Drugs!
Take Loads of Drugs!

Take Loads of Drugs!
And get you're on your own,
Believe me!
Take Loads of Drugs!
Take Loads of Drugs!

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2022, 12:05:44 PM »
Hola @ProfessorFalken
 welcome to the club!!!
Ty song has a very particular color, special, I liked listening to the track, the lyrics are funny and sad but maintaining the acid point of humor to lighten the message. very funny!!

Stay well
Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2022, 12:33:41 PM »
Well, Professor, that's quite a way to make an entrance to the forum!

There's a controlled (?) crazedness to this which is fun and feels very real.

It's actually a fine song - different sections working well with the instrumentation supporting the mood: verses tell a story, hooky chorus, middle8 with (hells?) bells, and the ending is exactly what you wouldn't expect.

Yes the recording is a bit raw but for this song that's part of its identity - and if you stick around here you'll pick up so many bits and pieces to add to your chops.

I was entertained and look forward to more!

Unclenny

• Solo Gig
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2022, 01:21:25 PM »
I agree with @adamfarr that the lo-fi character of this tune adds to its appeal. Some of us try too hard for perfection, losing authenticity in the process.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?band

StevieJ

• Open Mic
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2022, 02:17:25 PM »
I had to listen to this after seeing the title. I'm glad I did I wasn't sure what to expect but what I heard was great! Have to agree that the fairly poor quality of the vocal recording adds to it and it's edgyness and I couldn't really imagine the song recorded any other way now. Nice work man looking forward to the next one!

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2022, 03:55:46 PM »
Welcome to the forum @ProfessorFalken A great debut and I agree, it's daunting posting your first track but there are loads of helpful peeps on here and it's a songwriting forum so most people are listening to the song rather that the production etc etc. Yes, it's lo-fi but it's really effective and a catchy little number. If production is something that you'd like to work on then there are also a lot of very talented folks on here who are more than willing to help you out. Great stuff man  :)

ProfessorFalken

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2022, 08:56:33 AM »
Thanks for the positive feedback guys. I'm really happy to have discovered this forum. Been reading various threads and it seems a really good community. Looking forward to listening to your music and sharing more of my own.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2022, 03:40:50 PM »
Hey Professor.

Batshit krazy track.   ;D

Reminds me of John Otway and wild Willy Barrett! 'Beware of the flowers because they're gonna eat you,yeah',was one such marvel.

Welcome along man,I hope you enjoy your stay.   8)

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2022, 06:57:59 PM »
Hey Professor, massive welcome.  It's about time we had a senior academic around here. :-)
The track is really rather wonderful I think.
I dig the ramshackle recording quality and delivery... loads of character... it's a bit like Jarvis Cocker stepped up at some budget karaoke bar and delivered a belter.  Like others have said, it adds loads to the charm of it... a properly recorded version might actually lessen that (although it'd be interesting to hear one... just to see).
Yeah, that slightly unhinged vocal delivery is genius.  And the lyrics too - don't worry the irony comes across fine.  It's funny.
Also liked the mariachi type intro and that incessant Motown-esque drum beat.
Bravo.  Please stick around, have a good swim in the reviews, and post some more.
PS I also loved the "DJ Trenor and his Caludron of HATE" band name in the video.  Even the spelling mistake adds to it!  Loving your irreverence already.
It's all too beautiful.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2022, 07:34:10 PM »
Well, that was different!!!!

Plus 1 to all the previous comments.Someone mentioned John Otway earlier and I think that is who i thought of on hearing this. Entertaining, if a little left field!

Cheers

Jamie

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2022, 08:05:00 PM »
Hey, I love this!! The Lo-fi thing has already been mentioned, but it really works on this track. The title is audacious and is bound to offend someone. I hope it does!! ;D Without saying too much, my younger self would approve of this massively!! A great song - I really enjoyed it. :)

Maya Clars

• Solo Gig
  • Follow me on Instagram (@mayaclars)
    • mayaclars.com
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2022, 09:54:08 PM »
"Take Loads of Drugs!" ha-ha-ha :) Good, ironic and very emotional song.
I especially like the vocals towards the end of the song. You didn't hold yourself back and it sounds great! :)

Maya

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2022, 02:09:05 PM »
Hello! And welcome to forum @ProfessorFalken ...

Well yes, what a fab introduction... I can hear festival goers shouting the chorus at the top of their lungs hanging off the crowd barriers... I can imagine this being a huge hit - an anthemic song of youth.. who then bring it with them through life and shout it out late in the evening at every reunion ever...

I loved it!

K