konalavadome

Football Pitches After Dark

• 25 Replies

jacksimmons

• Solo Gig
    • Jack Simmons Music Facebook Page
« on: May 18, 2022, 03:07:10 PM »
It's great to see the forum picking up a little again. I'm always lurking and listening, but perhaps not reviewing as much as I should. I'm going to get sunk into commenting this evening.

This is an unrequited love song set in a post-apocalyptic near-future.  I wrote the first two verses a few years ago and shelved it. It's sort of a travelling/story song. For some reason, it suddenly started to seem relevant...

Lyrics:

Cold hands, yellow spark
Football pitches after dark
Blood of God in the sky
God is dead - it's you and I

Water on the tired leaves
I could tell you weren't asleep
Tell me what you want to say
You'd never say it anyway

We watched the jets go by in arrows bright and grey
Yellow canal so wide and empty now

Pizza at the old café
Where the lights have gone away
Where your mother used to say,
"Dad is dead, should be anyway."

Run your fingers through the grass
Feel the way that nature lasts
Kissing's meant for those like us
Kiss me now, return to dust 

We watched the years go by in streaks of death and green
The statue's torn down
We're so good and empty now

There was once such a thing as love
I watched you swimming in the white water
I watched you kneeling by the water in the crater
Filling your canteen
Don't mind me
Baby, don't mind me

Dirty clouds in the sky
They drift around like you and I
There are shadows on the road
Shadows are all we know

We were meant to carry on
Carry on, until we weren't
Sooty faces on TV
Is there such thing as you and me?

We watched the meat run out
Cows washed on the river banks
Smile at me
There's time for smiling, see?

Ride the missile like a rocket
People want to act like there's no tomorrow
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jack-simmons-1/albums
Bandcamp: https://jacksimmonsmusic.bandcamp.com/

"When I play a dope melody, anything less than the best is a felony." - Robert Matthew Van Winkle

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2022, 09:06:01 PM »
@jacksimmons I really love your voice - the melody is beautiful in this and the lovely gentle arrangement accentuates that. Some gorgeous twists and turns.

The lyrics are fab - so inventive and full of rich and interesting imagery - I've listened a couple of times now while reading and they're growing more in the listening.

I always really like your music, this one is special.. the melody it think is the star but I fine company. Fantastic stuff..

K

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2022, 12:07:14 PM »
Hola @jacksimmons
It has been a delicious listening!!! Thank you for sharing

Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

StevieJ

• Open Mic
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2022, 02:14:06 PM »
Hi Jack, I really enjoyed your song, so refreshing and unique, cool voice too I'm glad you came back to it after so long, keep it up my man!

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2022, 03:59:02 PM »
What a great title @jacksimmons and I think that your lyrics are superb. You have an incredible gift for melody and this melody is exceptional. For me the acoustic backing track works perfectly but I can also imagine a more produced version with strings etc etc.... Loved it - A top quality piece of work  :)

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2022, 05:17:34 PM »
This is a feast of imagery. The apocalyptic parts are so well portrayed and the juxtaposition with the love story adds another layer of hopelessness.

However, I felt it was passing me by a little, and after a couple of listens I wondered whether this one could benefit from a little slower tempo to let us (me!) take in the images and feel the emotion in a different way?

Possibly not what you had in mind at all, and I know these sorts of contrasts can work well, but when the story's that good I thought there might be more potential to unlock... Please forgive me as I may be being obvious and cheesy!

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2022, 07:38:29 PM »
@jacksimmons

Hi, loved the delicate feel to this. The vocals and arrangement  sit so well together. Hauntingly beautiful.

Excellent!

Jamie

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2022, 07:56:54 PM »
What an incredible vocal. The standard of music I'm hearing on here at the moment is stunning. This is a beautiful song. I can't criticise this in any way. :)

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2022, 10:46:44 PM »
Glorious lyrics Jack! They really draw you in. That melody though?? So unique! How did you come up with that?? Really interesting stuff. (in a good way.😄👍🏻)

Nice to hear you back on here mate. Well done!😄🎶👊🏻🎶

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2022, 06:26:22 PM »
Yo Jack.

I have a thing for beautiful melodies and desolate lyrics. Perhaps it's because I'm an old cynic!

A startlingly sweet song. Very inventive and ever interesting lyrics. The sparse arrangement adds greatly to the impact,that delicate voice and those cutting lyrics.

Magic at work.   8)

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2022, 07:38:33 PM »
Hey Jack, this is a truly precious track.  I listened several days ago and a few times since, but it was not something I wanted to rush out a comment on... it felt too good for that.
First up - totally loved the title, even before hearing the song.  It immediately provokes curiosity.  As a kid I used to love going to deserted places in the evenings, that were normally busy in the daytime... I remember walking through Bracknell town centre to the library in the evening with my dad and loving looking in all the dark windows of the closed shops, like it was a parallel empty world.  Somehow your song title provoked that memory.  And you can tell from the title it is going to be a song about youth somehow (that's when we normally spend most time on football pitches, right? When we're young.)
So onto the song itself - I really like the sparse arrangement with just the voice and guitar (and hardly anything else).  It has a timelessness, and a loneliness, like some of the best folk music.  I've been listening to Vashti Bunyan a bit recently and it reminded me of her stuff... doesn't really sound like her directly, but like her stuff, this has a quality about it that could have come from any time.  The acoustic guitars are great, very fluid and natural - did you play them yourself?  Awesome.
Then, the lyrics... pretty much knocked me for six.  I always like the way your tracks paint little pictures - disparate parts and images - almost throwaway details that are just enough for the listener to be able to piece together a much bigger story.  Like, in here, the reference to the Mother saying "Dad should be dead"... there's a whole other backstory in that one line from that one 'supporting actor' in the story.  Plus you have some knock out lines that are touching and devastating in the space of a few words - "Kiss me now, return to dust"... wow.
I don't think I'd have got the post-apocalyptic setting too strongly if you hadn't mentioned it (although of course I can see it in references to the crater etc... but I'm curious you can still get pizza after the apocalypse... ;-) ).  Anyway though, personally I don't think it needs that apocalyptic dimension to be super engaging... for me it was a great song about youth and longing.
Melodies - gorgeous.
Vocals - pristine.
Smashing ending when you bring in some other instruments (strings?) as a parting gift.
Apologies if I've "gushed" a bit here but I really, really liked this so couldn't help myself.  Thought this was one of the best tracks I've ever heard on the forum.
It's all too beautiful.

Maya Clars

• Solo Gig
  • Follow me on Instagram (@mayaclars)
    • mayaclars.com
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2022, 09:26:41 PM »
Very pleasant vocals, which are organically combined with guitar arpeggios. Beautiful and calm melody.
I think in a large hall with good acoustics it would sound great!

Maya

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2022, 06:27:59 PM »
@Jack Simmons This is a brilliant song, I really love the melody, the stops and the tone of your voice.  Is that how it will appear on your album or is there a full band version as well?
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2022, 07:10:17 PM »
@jacksimmons - I agree with so much @PaulyX said, a real gem, like the stripped back arrangement, nice prominent LVox.

I felt there was a going to be an interrupted cadence at the end a’la wildeyed boy from freecloud…but not this time…

Real class Jack

jacksimmons

• Solo Gig
    • Jack Simmons Music Facebook Page
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2022, 11:18:43 AM »
Big thanks @MonnoDB @moraamarolaloba @StevieJ @pompeyjazz @adamfarr @Jamie @ChrisPrice @LostBoy @Skub @PaulyX @Maya Clars @PeteS and @cowparsleyman Thank you all for listening and thanks for the great feedback.

To answer some qs
@LostBoy I did actually have a bit of a weird process for the melody of this tune. I had writer's block a couple years ago and I was writing just the most generic crap, so with this I made sure the chord changes were weird. Every section begins with a chord change that I would never have made if I was on autopilot.

@PaulyX Sort of blown away by your comments here mate, thank you so much. I'm glad you like the tune so much. You make a good point about the pizza line. It slipped in before I had a clear grasp on the story of this. I think I'll be going back to change it haha.

@PeteS Nope, no other version. This will be how it appears, when it eventually appears :)

Cheers everyone!

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jack-simmons-1/albums
Bandcamp: https://jacksimmonsmusic.bandcamp.com/

"When I play a dope melody, anything less than the best is a felony." - Robert Matthew Van Winkle