1001 Country Household Hints (from Hanover Reading List)

• 12 Replies

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« on: May 15, 2022, 10:35:19 AM »
Alright, this one is a bit silly and show-tuney hence a private-not-public Soundcloud link, but I had to write it to progress with my song-for-every-book-title-on-the-shelf project.

"1001 Country Household Hints" is below.  I can't pretend I've laboured over this for days so please regard it as a bit of light entertainment fluff that I will inevitably want to disown later.  I guess I was always going to be outgunned by the book title in this case...

Pauly

Lyrics:

Since I took you up on the offer to decamp to your country pile well I can only thank you for the hospitality, you’ve been so terribly nice, through your gritted teeth with all your kind advice

And you said
Wear red when you feed the bull, smoke down by the haystacks
Take a skate right across the lake coz you’re sure the ice won’t crack
And when I clean the thresher don a scarf and baggy clothes and
Leave the engine running in case it gets too cold
I guess that’s just the way things roll
In the country

I love the way you’ve changed since I unpacked my valise, I can’t get the time of day - you’re such a little tease.  These little games we play, I could never bore of the way you show your love through the medium of chores
And you said

Go look for that lost sheep by the crumbling cliff edge
A swig of this weed killer will put hairs upon your chest
Take a shortcut through the swamp and if you need a little light
Don’t worry that this candle looks a bit like dynamite

Fix the roof in a lightning storm coz it helps to spot the leaks
Take honey from the bees that swarm they won’t sting if you say please
Go forage in the meadow by the army firing practise and those sickly greenish mushrooms are the ones that taste fantastic
Yes you’ve been so romantic
In the country

https://soundcloud.com/commodore-64/1001-country-household-hints-from-hanover-reading-list/s-KRdOhNzRjNn?utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

It's all too beautiful.

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2022, 11:08:37 AM »
Hola @PaulyX

This bittersweet song is the first one I listen to today!! That country you're talking about seems a bit dangerous, I think it's a reflection of what really happens in many places hahaha
I've had a great time, I like the arrangement and the instrumentation and your voice fits perfectly to what you're singing-telling. I think it is a project that will be successful.

Stay well

Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2022, 08:49:27 PM »
Wow ! I'm going to have read that book @PaulyX I didn't really expect you to write a song on that title. The lyrics are fascinating, extracts from the book of tips I'm guessing with a bit of artistic licence. Musically  this is a wonderful fusion of burlesque combined with some good old cock-er-knee music hall and it reminded me in some ways of something that Alex Harvey might have come up with had he hailed from down South. I really liked the changes in pace and the stop / starts as well. Inspiring, creative and highly original and enjoyable  :)

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2022, 11:59:43 PM »
What a strange song! In a good way I hasten to add. I reminds of some of the quirkier moments from certain 60's bands, but with a pinch of Madness thrown in for good measure. It's a really clever arrangement. Took me by surprise. I like it :)

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2022, 05:30:54 PM »
Yo Pauly.

Love that surfin' suggesting intro,before throwing us a curved ball and veering off into 'Madness the Musical' territory. When the song gets under way it's as catchy as the plague. Marvellous. The varying tempo does it for me big time. Puts me right in the notion of using that trick again. I'm a big fan of your lyrical prowess,this is superb!

Pure PaulyX magic.   8)

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2022, 09:00:06 AM »
@PaulyX

Hi Paul, brilliant lyric made me laugh out loud. The lunacy of the tempo changes added beautifully to the whole out of control vibe. Sounded like the Bonzo dog doo dah band had an assignation with Damon Albarn…
Excellent!

Jamie

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2022, 09:19:07 PM »
Wow that was a bit of a trip @PaulyX

I agree it's madly catchy once it gets going after meandering around the place a little in a rather inviting way..

Great lyrics - and how the hell you managed to write to that title, I don't know!

Bleedin' brilliant!

K

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2022, 07:44:47 PM »
Possibly the smartest lyric I've seen here. Possibly the smartest lyric I've seen anywhere.

Musically it's fabulous too...and it sort of meanders around like it's having a right laugh and blowing a raspberry at the conventional methods of songwriting.

This is genius.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2022, 12:47:31 PM »
Thanks for the listens and positive reviews guys - way more than it deserves... you're a forgiving and generous bunch.  I'm pleased it sounded more 'Madness' than 'Richard Stillgoe'. :-)
It's all too beautiful.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2022, 12:10:49 PM »
A triumph! I thought it couldn't get any better and then the sampled dog appeared.

Someone once asked me if I liked comedy, which I thought was an odd question, and I think I replied something along the lines of "not always but I do like fun". This is fun. And I liked it.

Can't wait for Bake Me I'm Yours...

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2022, 02:38:50 PM »
Your one of those clever guys intya!! this is brilliant..love the lyrics and change of pace.
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2022, 01:27:40 PM »
@PaulyX
Epic, inventive and ambitious. And you pull it off with PaulyX ease.
Cleaver lyrics and change in tempo.
So much going on I had to listen again
:-)
neil 
songwriter of no repute..

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2022, 07:38:34 AM »
Very inventive slice of buffoonery! I loved it, being partial to the Quirky Side. The lyrics are smashing, enhanced by the nutty backing track and that periodic step up in tempo which made me think we were inevitably heading for a murder.

After the final ‘in the country’ I was really taken in by the music crescendo, so wanted at least a few more bars of the finale. I reckon you should make this public @PaulyX and cherish it. It’s great to do something this unique, so removed from the mainstream, and you pulled it off with style.
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860