Forum Alumni

• 30 Replies

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2022, 06:10:12 PM »
Yeah DWG I'm trying to do the same with my old stuff though with less than expert knowledge and shite listening environment that could be an ongoing task. Good luck!

Hey Pauly thanks for giving that updated version of IOU a listen....glad it sounds OK.
One of the reasons for my losing interest in doing stuff was the death of my fave headphones which I was so used to the sound of.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2022, 08:04:46 PM »
Hey @dinnerwithgreedo , thanks for the reply.  Awesome that you are happy (and I'm sure she is too).  Will be great to hear that track on here when you've polished it... will deffo keep an eye out for that here, I used to really dig your stuff.  Thanks for letting us know what's up.
It's all too beautiful.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2022, 09:45:49 PM »
Aaaaaaaaah- so nice to hear from these dudes, @dinnerwithgreedo and “the Count” @Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra , I always liked your arrangements, fascinating and blinkin complex. For some reason I imagine you to look like Vincent Price without his orchestra.

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2022, 04:18:56 PM »
@PaulyX

Thanks for "reaching out" as they say in some parts of the world!

The last five years have been by far my most productive in terms of making music - three completed albums, and many songs that didn't quite make the cut on top of that. Of course, this has coincided with semi-retirement and being able to devote time to my passion. For me, a big part of the driver is some kind of musical legacy for my kids (whether they want one or not!) so making a physical product alongside releasing everything onto the platforms is a big part of it. There are many aspects to making a body of work that comprises an album and one of the best for me is the collaboration with my graphic designer. It's amazing to be able to describe two or three themes in my head and somehow, the genius who is Neil turns these thoughts into slightly surreal images which appear on the finished CD digipack, and in the case of my Golden Years album, on a gatefold double vinyl blowout!

All of this does take up a lot of time, and leaves me less time to devote to listening to music. If I am honest, I want to spend that listening time to artists I have come to know and followed for many years. To get the most out of this forum, one has to spend a lot of time listening. When I did so in the past, I'd often come across absolute gems and it was a pleasure to give truthful, appreciative feedback. Sometimes, it was a case of listening to people who were starting out on the recording road and I found I could give some honest and I hope, helpful feedback. And then much less often, I would listen to something and not wish to feedback anything. Honestly, the standard was extremely high generally, but it all comes down to how you wish to spend your time. I have never felt comfortable with posting my own tracks without investing a lot of listening time, and giving feedback on many other tracks first.

I have undoubtedly improved because of this forum. I remember posting my first track here fully 10 years ago (by god that was nerve racking), and being told (nicely) that there were real timing issues with my playing. Whoever said that was SO right and it made me up my game. Then there was another comment about me playing lip service to the drums (again, spot on!). Then, when @Boydie mixed and produced Golden Years, he was so generous with his time in explaining so much. I learnt SO much!

Best wishes to all.

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2022, 11:35:16 PM »
@Bill Saunders - thanks for updating us on what you've been up to.  3 albums eh... crikey.  I remember really liking "Golden Years"... "Man in the Restaurant" still sticks in my mind in particular, will have to check out the sequels.  And I remember the artwork too... I think you had something in the image representing all the tracks on the album, right?
Anyway it's great to hear you are doing well and cranking out the songs. All the best.
It's all too beautiful.

5 guys named Lars

• Solo Gig
    • 5 Guys Named Lars- Soundcloud
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2022, 03:41:16 PM »
Thanks a lot for the thought @PaulyX  ..lovely to be remembered. I`ve had an existential crisis involving an angry bank manager and a pickaxe so have currently got 2 jobs working day and night.  Written nothing this year but every now & again hit upon a lyric .."You can find me hanging from the money tree" etc etc  so there`s going to be some fun and cheery songs when I get round to it.  ;D ;D Love to all the usual suspects and hope to be back amongst you as soon as I can.
All the best,
Lars.

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2022, 10:30:49 PM »
Ah, thanks for the update @5 guys named Lars .  Bank managers eh?  I'm not sure who was holding the pickaxe, but either way, it can't have been nice.  Hang in there with those 2 jobs.  Yeah, when you've got time, you've got to finish that "money tree" song... it sounds great. "Holly Golightly" remains (in my book) one of the best songs ever to grace this forum. Hope you'll be able to return with more stunners when life is quieter.  Until then, all the very best and don't let the downers grind your b@stards. (Is that right?)
It's all too beautiful.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2022, 11:04:00 PM »
@5 guys named Lars - Ahhh so you invited the bank manager round to lay some slabs for your new patio/ barbeque and he was looking at neighbours bush when you brought the pick down on his cobblers…an easy slip, he then requested you to fill in a form on line to remove the pick, of course your were upset, there was a long wait until the pick-axe-in-knackers customer service executive got round to asking you How you day was and thanks for reaching out to our team.

Anyway good to hear from you Man, you are sorely missed or is it pissed?

5 guys named Lars

• Solo Gig
    • 5 Guys Named Lars- Soundcloud
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2022, 07:56:19 AM »
Thanks @cowparsleyman  ;D. Yes @PaulyX it was the bank manager with the pickaxe. He started calmly mentioning "fiscal destabilisation" & "monetary solvency" & apparently wasn`t impressed when I replied "relax baby, remember we`re all stardust, love ". He launched into a disgusting diatribe including swear words that not even my 8 year old son knows (which is saying something). Anyway I`ve bequeathed my 2nd grandson & a sizeable chunk of my left buttock to him. I`ve started making payments & hes started taking vallium.
By the way Mr. CP thanks for the newsletter..its a great idea to keep up with things on the go. Keep us informed & look forward to hearing new things from Planet Parsley soon.
All the best,
Lars  :)

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2022, 12:18:00 PM »
"really good songwriters" and my name? Haha Pauly you've made my year ;D

I do keep come in and have a look around sometimes, nice to see so many familiar names still trucking! We're deffo a family, even if some of us disappear for a while we are never 'gone' (reading the names of people on this thread is so hart-warming)

I think the forum is just a big time-consumer, which was very helpful for me when I was suffering more with social and proximity anxiety; a good substitute for just laying in bed or playing video-games. Honestly, you lot really helped pull me out of some bad times and made that family for me when I needed it most.

Now I'm doing so much better - I'm meeting friends for drinks or going for walks after work. Or actually cooking a proper meal - and doing a bit of exercise. I'm hardly ever at home during the weekends with my new-found hobby of walking around the countryside. Some long-term health issues that kept me at home have also largely subsided.

So yeah, I'm doing great! Just making the most of my new-found energy to make up for the years of hermitry, even going to a beer&cider festival this coming weekend. The album I posted on here a while ago was also a turning point for myself - was like blurting out what I wanted to say to therapists but couldn't bring myself to. Forgave myself for some past mistakes, and started to appreciate my own qualities.

So yeah, don't worry about me - for the first time in years I feel like I can sustainably feel good in myself and I'm just making the most of that energy.

Am still making music from time-to-time. There was a second album put out on Spotify "enemcy - who done it" ;), and I'm slowly transitioning to more positive lyric-writing.

I will be back active on here eventually when I really want to spend time on a good project, even maybe try and meet up in-person! For the moment though I'm finding great joy in just writing and recording in the moment for myself. Screw all the feedback and whatnot - it's just part of my therapeutic plan. Still consider any music I make as 'iterative learning' rather than final products.

Much love,
Scotty.

ps. My latest.
https://soundcloud.com/enemcy/better-than-ever

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2022, 06:48:41 PM »
Hey @ScottLevi , it's great to get your update... thanks for sharing it.  Even better to hear you are feeling good about things.  Music as therapy... yep that makes a lot of sense.
I used to love your unique style on here... "Marching Band" sticks in my memory in particular.  Great that you are still getting creative from time to time and will post some more back here when the time is right for you.  All good vibes to you in the meantime and thanks again for checking in to this thread dude.
It's all too beautiful.

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2022, 03:49:34 PM »
Hi @PaulyX,

Thanks for the mention. I'm still around, still writing and recording and I do plan to re-engage with the forum and review/post new material once the autumn gloom sets in. I've just turned 60 which is taking some getting used to, I can tell you! Take care fellow forumites and I hope to be back very soon.

M

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2022, 05:40:47 PM »
Hey @montydog , thanks for checking in and excellent to hear you are still recording (and we'll get to hear some of that too at some point).
Congrats on the milestone birthday too!  See you back on the boards sooner or later.
It's all too beautiful.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2022, 11:13:06 AM »
@montydog - Woof Woof you Old Mony Dog happy birthday. Looking forward to hearing your new stuff.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2022, 02:17:41 AM »
@montydog -- turning 50 was the one that put me into a depression. I had a very hard time believing I had any life left at all. Actually, now I'd be happy to be turning 60. It's all relative. By the way, when I did turn 60 I threw myself a big birthday party at the senior citizens' center. Lots of people came. Took away some of the sting.