Forum Alumni

• 30 Replies

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« on: May 15, 2022, 09:49:51 AM »
Hi
Some of us have been discussing in other threads how the Forum is currently a bit quieter than it used to be... people come and go etc.
It got me a bit misty eyed and curious about how some of the really good songwriters who used to post here and don't anymore are doing.
So this is just a message into the ether to a few 'forum heroes' who made a real difference when they were around and posted some seriously good tracks.

- Maybe you've changed email addresses and won't get this.
- Maybe you'll get it but are too busy or want to keep quiet... fair enough - anyway just know you and your tracks left a memorable footprint here...
- Maybe you'll have time to check in and just let us know how you are
- Or maybe you'll even be able to post a track you've worked on since you've been away, that'd be awesome

There are probably dozens of people it'd be great to hear from but for starters, here's a few stars that come to mind to me...
@Yodasdad @tina m @Martinswede @Neil C @Sebandme @ScottLevi @redrhodie @Binladeda @Silver Machine @Jenna   ... are you there, and how are ya?
(If anyone else wants to tag in others please go ahead.)

PaulyX

« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 12:03:23 PM by PaulyX »
It's all too beautiful.

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2022, 12:41:13 PM »
Hi PaulyX and everyone!

Got the tag(obviously), nice to hear from you!
So here´s the long story (to skip it see dotted line) :
I´ve had the longest hiatus from The Forum. Mostly due to, in lack of better words mental fatigue, and finding it hard to read and mainly reply in English on the forum. Second language, and seldom used in my day to day.

Also I haven´t been writing music. Instead focused on my singing(finally) playing covers, coincidentally at the same time all venues shut down for two years, so no gigs.

But. The a few months ago I started writing again. Trying out new things I learned on this Youtube, some good educational stuff there :) .

I´ve started to go through the recent post, but haven´t had time to reply yet, a bit to catch up on.
Great to see many members keep writing/recording regularly. And so many members that are new to me!

Me posting a song is probably not in the near future, but that´s not all this forum is about. More like 10-25%.  :)

I´d be happy to try/help write music to lyrics if anyone has a pile of the lying around.

Love,
Martin

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2022, 12:58:33 PM »
Yay Martin!  Seriously good to hear from you!  Thanks for sharing what you've been up to.  Your English is fantastic of course, but yeah no surprise if it takes a bit more effort as a second language.  Great to hear you've been fine tuning your craft too, in this weird couple of years we've all had... and best of all that you started writing again recently. I used to love the tracks you posted... that cool 'Wilco' vibe you had going on. Thanks for replying mate!  Hope to see you around a bit whenever you have time.
It's all too beautiful.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2022, 01:12:07 PM »
Great initiative @PaulyX I think too its down to all of us to make the effort to get the forum alive and kicking again. Great to see @Martinswede around again too  :)

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2022, 08:11:30 AM »
Hi @PaulyX  all and thanks for the mention:

I’m doing well and still lots of musicing. I do feel a bit guilty but I found after about 8 years of pretty full on engagement my tank had run a bit empty and I was going though the motions. Not sure why tbh because I really do love the writers and believe in the collective power and sharing. And co-wrote some songs I’m really proud of - you know who you are..

So what am I up to:
Finished 2nd EP with the wonderful @nooms
Had some singing lessons
Doing open mics regularly
Finishing my debut LP
Went on an online songwriting course
Bought and sold some guitars of course!
And co-wrote - in the same room - a song on Sunday called Veneer.
And too many plans to mention but I’m exciting about going into a pro studio over the summer :-)
I’ll post a tune late.
Keep well
neil :-)

songwriter of no repute..

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2022, 07:21:43 PM »
@Neil C thanks so much for replying mate! Great to hear you've been just as busy with the music.  And bought some new axes...  :D
Yes I really enjoyed our co-writing / collabs when we did some, and yours with the others on here were always quality too.
Cool that you will post a tune again soon... 'Veneer' is an intriguing title.  And do share when the album is ready...
See you around when you've got time... great to know how you are.
It's all too beautiful.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2022, 07:32:45 PM »
Saludos! I guess I am almost a forum alumnus these days! I've never been away really but although it's always cool to listen, it's never as much fun when you're not writing.

And I haven't been. All my ideas are terrible. (Last Summer I thought I had a song called "the Keeper" which was about goalkeepers and then disintegrated into a mixture of cringeworthy offside references mixed with pandemic induced zoom observations.)

I am still determined to record my "22" song which I think has potential. That might get me juices flowing again, who knows. I'll also start reviewing again too.

Hope you're all thriving!

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2022, 07:19:43 AM »
Yeah @adamfarr thanks for the update!  I almost tagged you in the post, but did recall seeing a couple of posts from you in the last couple of months, so knew you weren't too far out of the Forum orbit.  "The Keeper" definitely sounds like it could be a good song title... and it'll be top to hear your take on "22".  Good like with the writers block... you used to post some absolute gems so I'm sure you'll overcome.
It's all too beautiful.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2022, 07:17:08 PM »
@PaulyX - Just wanted to give you a bit of insight about red rhodie, as you can guess she was from Rhode Island and many years ago i asked her if she would be up for a collab, alas she couldn’t at the time but she did put me in touch with another vocalist who went on to feature in quite a few of my songs, texas twister, lets play a game, januay by pilot remix etc etc, it was very generous of red rhodie to give me the tip, l’ll never forget her.

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2022, 01:29:33 PM »
Thanks @cowparsleyman , yes RedRhodie was a really talented and unique voice when she was here.  I never made the 'Rhode Island' connection.
It was marvellous to hear from Adam and Neil and Martin in response to this thread... also that the forum seems to be picking up steam a bit again...
I thought of a few more genius songwriters and erstwhile great reviewers so thought I'd shout out to a couple more...
Shadowfax just returned already which is awesome... so..
@Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra @montydog @Bill Saunders @kevysc @5 guys named Lars @dinnerwithgreedo   ... If you've got time & inclination to tell us... whassup?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 08:25:46 PM by PaulyX »
It's all too beautiful.

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2022, 09:32:30 AM »
Hi Pauly and all
I do poke my nose in to see what(s going on now and then even if I don't have any contribution to make. Good to see some of you are still hard at it.
For various reasons which i won't bore you with I don't do anything new on the music front although I have redone a couple of thi,gs and got them on Spotify under Viscount Cramer (no-one listens of course!) and am currently working up a soul version of 'It's Really Me'.
The regaae version with PaulAds on bass and vicki singing is also on Spotify under the name of Vicki M.
I'd love to get back to it and join you all. Thoroughly enjoyed all the time I spent on the forum engaging with you all and listening to your stuff.
For now though consider me dormant.
Keep up the good work folks!
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2022, 06:14:43 PM »
Great to hear from @Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra - thanks for checking in.
I've found you on Deezer now... that "I'm Over You" track is just lovely.  I'm instantly chilled out listening to it.  And I remember "It's Really Me" well too... song of the month winner, wasn't it?  Excellent to hear from you anyway and glad you're out there on the forum fringes, occasionally keeping an eye on us.  Long live the Viscount!
It's all too beautiful.

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2022, 07:02:44 PM »
Great thread @PaulyX, good to hear wht the guys are up to.
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

dinnerwithgreedo

• Platinum Album
    • Facebook fanpage
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2022, 04:40:50 PM »
@PaulyX

I'm ALIVE!!!

Thank you so much for your mention. And hello to all.

Sorry i've not been around for AGES... life has got in the way.

I've not written a song for a long time now. I put that down to the fact that i'm happy. Got myself a wonderful girlfriend. Apparently i can only write when miserable  ;D

I've been concentrating on recording my old songs 'properly'. I've no idea what i'm doing so it's taking a lot of time. I'm trying to produce an album of my songs with no production training... so i never know if it sounds good or not. I'll post one shortly so you can get an idea of where i'm at.

Thanks again for the mention. Helps the ego  ;)
Remember.... it's just my opinion. It doesn't make me right. Although i probably am ;)