konalavadome

A big thank you

• 15 Replies

man made material

• Solo Gig
« on: May 14, 2022, 10:51:21 AM »
Wasn’t really sure where to post this, but here seemed appropriate I guess. I really just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone on this forum that has listened and given feedback over the last year and a half or so, since I began my songwriting and recording journey, there has been so much encouragement and useful information generously given that’s really helped me have a little self belief and improve my rather awkward foray into this arena, it’s been extremely personally rewarding and some times soul destroying!😮😁 but here has always been a place that people are so generous with their time and insights. I finally put an album together, most of the songs were posted on here over the last year or so, and hopefully I’ve managed to improve some of them based on the comments given here. Unfortunately I have struggled to find time to engage properly on the forum in recent months, plus doing a lot of reworking old tracks and not working on any new stuff has meant I’ve also had little to contribute, hopefully things will calm down a bit and I’ll get to spend some more time on here, in the meantime thanks so much for all the help and I wish everyone well, your encouragement helped make this happen, cheers Carl 🙏
https://open.spotify.com/album/20AYysQPZX6i0JTAsXLMSH?si=LziimLxjQxyrplXnpqOtyg
Sound formed in a vacuum may seem a waste of time...

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2022, 11:26:50 AM »
Congrats @man made material ! Great achievement!! I’ve saved your album and followed you on Spotify!! I’m a fan, as you know!!

Look forward to listening and hearing more from you!

K

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2022, 12:45:43 PM »
Well done MMM...quite an achievement.

I'll definitely be having a listen to this...I'm a fan too!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

man made material

• Solo Gig
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2022, 05:12:33 PM »
Thanks so much guys!🙏
 I’m going to try to get through some of the new offerings on the forum this weekend, the first few I’ve listened to are great - looking forward to listening to some more!

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2022, 03:39:57 PM »
Great stuff MMM - I'm downloading it onto my phone off Deezer as I type.  Looking forward to give this a whirl - really like your stuff.
You know maybe we should have an 'albums' section on the forum, as some of the other members have made superb albums in the past too.  Maybe I'm old school but I still love an album over just streaming individual tracks... it really lets you get immersed in the artist's vibe.
Will be checking yours out along the seafront later.  Congrats again.
It's all too beautiful.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2022, 07:08:18 PM »
Congratulations! I love what I've heard so far! I'm favoriting your album on Spotify. Great accomplishment!

man made material

• Solo Gig
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2022, 09:32:23 PM »
That’s really kind of you both! Thanks @CaliaMoko and @PaulyX - I agree with you about an idea for an album thread, I remember there have been a few previously but the main finished songs review area doesn’t seem the right place to put it, it’s an awful lot to ask people to sit through a whole album and post reviews etc, but it does seem like there should be a place to put stuff where there’s no feedback necessarily required or expected, but there’s the chance to share your output. It was an interesting process selecting tracks so that they worked together as a whole with a bit of flow between them, I tried to make the album build, calm, build again and finally release the listener like a little journey. I love an album, but I’m a bit old school and love vinyl too!😁

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2022, 10:04:49 PM »
@man made material I've listened to it all now on my rainy seafront jog at dusk this evening.  Really well done mate.  It's got a consistent vibe to it so it all hangs together well as an album, but I also enjoyed the change of pace between the tracks that you allude to above.  I think the standout tracks for me were 'Ghosted' and 'Trying to Kill a Dead Man'.  I like the way it is pretty subtle too... some of the tracks give you plenty of space to breathe in the emotion, and don't rely too much on special effects and fireworks... probably means it will get even better with repeated listens.  I'm sure you know your influences but I reckon fans of Martin Gore and John Foxx and the Maths would really like this - those lovely rich analogue synth bass sounds... although it also has its own unique vibe (your baritone voice is a big part of that I think).  Well done again - top marks.
It's all too beautiful.

man made material

• Solo Gig
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2022, 09:37:47 PM »
@PaulyX  thanks so much! Hope it improved your rainy jog in some way!😁 I’m a big fan of MLGore’s writing, although I don’t intentionally mimic it, I’m sure listening to his stuff over all these years will have influenced me… I really appreciate the time investment you made to get through the whole thing and your feedback🙏

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2022, 07:44:00 AM »
Huge Congratz @man made material - and I am soooo pleased the forum has contributed to you getting this project done

You know maybe we should have an 'albums' section on the forum, as some of the other members have made superb albums in the past too.  Maybe I'm old school but I still love an album over just streaming individual tracks... it really lets you get immersed in the artist's vibe.

@PaulyX - I think this is a GREAT idea!

It has always felt like the “finished songs” section was really the - “her is my first version of my finished song but please give feedback on how to make it better section”

I DEFINITELY think there is room for a “final/released song or album section” where the comments/feedback are not about changing lines or lowering the level of the hihat - but more like song/album reviews you would find in magazines

This may also encourage more members as it could attract just “listeners” who want to hear the good music for members of the forum

I will start looking in to it and get the ball rolling.......
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

jacksimmons

• Solo Gig
    • Jack Simmons Music Facebook Page
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2022, 10:44:36 AM »
Congrats @man made material I know how good it feels to get an album of material out there. Will be listening this evening.

And yeah, an album thread/subsection sounds like an awesome idea. It can be a place to showcase music and writing/reviewing chops at the same time.
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jack-simmons-1/albums
Bandcamp: https://jacksimmonsmusic.bandcamp.com/

"When I play a dope melody, anything less than the best is a felony." - Robert Matthew Van Winkle

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2022, 10:59:56 AM »
@man made material

Hi, MMM, sorry I meant to mention this when I replied to your review of my recent song ::). Congratulations, I'll give it a listen though I think I've listened to most of your posts! Well deserved and well done, some great tunes!

Cheers

Jamie

jacksimmons

• Solo Gig
    • Jack Simmons Music Facebook Page
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2022, 11:45:05 PM »
Love the 80s retro vibe of this mate. Listened all the way through this evening and it sounds like a long-lost new wave band that’s been suddenly rediscovered. Cool! Favourite tracks: Ghosted and The World Outside.
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jack-simmons-1/albums
Bandcamp: https://jacksimmonsmusic.bandcamp.com/

"When I play a dope melody, anything less than the best is a felony." - Robert Matthew Van Winkle

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2022, 06:50:30 PM »
@man made material - You are a natural songwriting talent, from what I know of you and your stuff, it's all done with the "That's what I want, and that's what I'm going to get, not sure how to do it" but by golly you do it well.

Some superb ideas, you have a habit of making me hit the Like button, as I have done with the new album.