Tape It: recording app for songwriters

• 4 Replies

tcwalther

• Busker
« on: May 09, 2022, 10:24:57 AM »
Dear Songwriter Forum,

Two friends and I created an iPhone recording app called Tape It after we were frustrated with using Voice Memos, and I'd love to get your feedback on it. We know so many musicians who use their phone to record their songwriting sessions, and I'm certain that many here do that, too. With Tape It, we put a lot of energy on making it easier to organise and find recordings, and added many small touches that help in the creative process:

- you can mark sections in a recording, both while and after you record, which is very useful for long recordings
- you can attach text and photo notes to a recording so you can remember your pedal settings or the chord progression you just scribbled on a pizza box
- the app is a fully featured media player: it keeps on playing in the background, so you can review your ideas on your commute, in your car or on your couch
- you can mark recordings as favourites or organise them into mixtapes. And there's an automatic instrument detection that helps you stay on top when your list of recordings gets super long.

We also managed to significantly improve the audio quality by turning your phone into a stereo recorder. We combine two microphones in your phone to do that, so it's not just a fancy EQ setting. That's a premium feature, the rest of the app is free.

We have a lot of ideas of features that we want to build in the future. We list them our roadmap at roadmap.tape.it.

I'd be super happy if some of you tried the app and gave me feedback on what you like and dislike about it. We're building this specifically for musicians, and it would be fantastic to get your input :-).

You can download Tape It on the app store.

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2022, 11:06:44 AM »
@tcwalther Great idea.  I use Voice Memos a lot for recording ideas.  I've downloaded it so will give it a try and post some feedback.
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2022, 09:15:20 AM »
@tcwalther Terrific idea. Unfortunately my phone is Android based so no dice here, but to be able to record song ideas in a jiffy is good. I've been known to use my camera to record ideas for guitar riffs, but this would be better I think :)

tcwalther

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2022, 10:37:11 AM »
Thanks for the compliments.

@PeteS let me know how you like it. Do you have any feedback for me?
@ChrisPrice yeah, it will take a while before we start building an Android app. For now it's iOS only. Maybe time to get a phone from the fruit company? :D

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2022, 07:16:20 PM »
Hi @tcwalther, I have tried it and I am using it.  But for what I do I can't see it adds anything to the voice memos app.  I can see it has other features, I just don't need them.  I just hit record, play and sing, press stop.  That's pretty much it.
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial