Eric Clapton's guitar

• 3 Replies

Cameron Fielding

• Busker
« on: January 24, 2012, 10:25:49 PM »
Does any keen-eared Cream fan know -

...... what guitar Eric Clapton was using when he recorded the song "Badge" in 1969 with Cream?

:)

It is particularly noticeable in the bridge at 1:08, when he does a brief solo.

I know in various subsequent images he is holding was seems to be a Strat, but the sound in the original recording does not say Strat to me.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 10:29:32 PM by Cameron Fielding »

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 10:58:00 PM »
69 was when he made the switch to the strat, before that he was mainly on gibson; es-335, les paul and SG.
But that cool swirling sound that the guitar makes is nothing to do with the guitar used I think: It sounds distinctly like a leslie cabinet. Running my epiphone les paul through my leslie can give something like that sound

Cameron Fielding

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 11:12:53 PM »
69 was when he made the switch to the strat, before that he was mainly on gibson; es-335, les paul and SG.
But that cool swirling sound that the guitar makes is nothing to do with the guitar used I think: It sounds distinctly like a leslie cabinet. Running my epiphone les paul through my leslie can give something like that sound

Cheers mate.

I do think that sound is fantastic.

estreet

• Solo Gig
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 05:06:18 AM »
Yep it's a leslie cab.

The rotating speakers and horns produce the 'doppler' effect where the pitch of a sound changes with it's relative position to the listener. The same effect that makes a police or ambulance siren appear to flatten in pitch as it passes you.
Youth & enthusiasm are no match for age and treachery.