konalavadome

Malachi (Housey, poppy remix! Yeah!🤪🤷🏼‍♂️)

• 14 Replies

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« on: May 06, 2022, 12:23:13 AM »
Hi guys
For funsies I decided to experiment and try and turn one of my old, folky, story songs into a “Poppy, House adjacent track! "Why???" U ask....well, I was bored and I actually like a bit of EDM every now and then....don't worry, I know I'm not reinventing the wheel here...the loops are generic and repetitive, BUT, I have done my best to make the arrangement as interesting as possible using various tricks I've learned. As for the song itself, well, I've had to really shorten the lyrics of the first verse from my original recording, so there's not as much background in the story, that was a tough challenge, I've also had to tweak the structure a little bit to suit this style of track better....anyway, sorry, I'm waffling....how does it sound? Mix OK? Story OK? Melody?
My good friend Shevaun is singing with me. She's fab!

Thanks as always for your time and for checking it out.😁

https://soundcloud.com/leo-b-5/malachi-house-mix?utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

Lyrics
She knocks upstairs on my window
Just like when we were kids
Eight years gone in a moment
Didn't think we'd meet again
Then suddenly her face fell
As she stepped off the branch
Knew then I should’ve sent the letter
I showed her what was wrong...

And quickly told my tale
Of driving on black ice
A stubborn tree and a miracle
A dead man brought to life..

Chorus
Please don't worry I know I should've said
But I made it back from the dead
I'm the king of the second chance
I know I'm a lucky man...yes I am

(Female) Malachi...sorry I....

Verse 2.
We ate our chips by the river
The salmon were climbing the falls
She told me all about Australia
Winced and said divorced
I tried to keep my cool then
I wasn't expecting that
And all of the feelings I had before
All came rushing back

And she looked beautiful
Our laughter filled the night
And all the stars up above us
Appeared to shoot on sight

(Female) Malachi...what a night...feels good to be back home....all this time...some things will never change....all this time

Chorus 2
For all these years a secret I kept
I never told you how I felt
But now I'm the king of the second chance
I can't let this moment pass
For all these years I had a regret
Never told you how I felt
But now I'm the king of the second chance
I know I'm a lucky man
I won't let this moment pass with you.

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2022, 12:27:53 AM »
If anyone’s interested the original track is here. 😄👍🏻
https://soundcloud.com/leo-b-5/malachi-1?in=leo-b-5/sets/leo-work/s-ItQbVIaeiiX&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

The original first verse lyric is…

Got a call from an old friend
Said she was back in town
Well I hadn’t seen her in forever
I told her to come around
She knocked upstairs on the window
Just like when we were kids
And there she sat on the willow
I laughed and let her in

I held her tight for a little while
A tear was in her eye
Eight years gone in a moment
Didn’t think we’d reunite…….

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2022, 08:36:29 AM »
That's an interesting experiment, may be on for a future competition 🤔.

I thought it works really well, you took a really good song and made it way more contemporary.  Nothing wrong with the original at all, I really like it, but this remix sounds so fresh.  Don't be offended, I think I prefer the remix 😳

Great job on both Leo.
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2022, 09:22:19 AM »
@LostBoy

Hey ! Leo

Yeah, why not - This works really well. It's an interesting experiment to try and it's a great success - It's amazing how different a song can sound with a different treatment. Love the vocal work on this one but I always do  :)

Great upbeat number from you - Keep em coming man  :)

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2022, 05:41:02 PM »
@LostBoy - Leo, I love the original, I haven’t listened to the edm version yet, but sure am going to listen. Boom tish boom tish etc.

I’m be back soon Man…

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2022, 08:38:51 PM »
Ooh I remember this one @LostBoy ... Great vibe to this - the dance version really works.. Shevaun is indeed fab - you make a great team.. Love her voice!

So this is catchy as hell. I love the original though.. a bit more to be honest but that's not surprising at all.

Nice work again Leo!

K

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2022, 01:05:32 PM »
Yo Leo.

I like a bit of dance on occasion too,though other than collabs,I haven't participated!

It all work well for me,great vox and it bounces along. I'd like a bit more bottom end/kick,those subs really make an edm track.

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2022, 11:36:22 PM »
Hey Leo, I remember the original (and good to revisit it tonight).  For me the remix is an interesting experiment but the original wins hands down.  You've definitely got the Italian house vibe going on, but I thought this treatment is at odds with those great lyrics, the story and the emotion of the first draft.  Good to try stuff though!  Just hard to improve when the original was so good...
It's all too beautiful.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2022, 01:32:55 PM »
@LostBoy

Hi Leo, brilliant vocals as expected! Nice idea to take a song and give it a totally different treatment. I don't mind a bit of EDM, this ticked all the boxes.

Cheers

Jamie

man made material

• Solo Gig
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2022, 06:16:11 PM »
@LostBoy smashed another one outta the park! This lyric: Please don't worry I know I should've said But I made it back from the dead I'm the king of the second chance… just works so well with the euphoric dance bed… vocals are as always superb, I do prefer your remix, but I also really Like the first verse in your original… any chance of a re-remix using the acoustic first verse, then drop the Ibiza bomb of your remix? Probably a silly idea, love the remix as it is, great great job!❤️
Sound formed in a vacuum may seem a waste of time...

man made material

• Solo Gig
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2022, 06:17:35 PM »
Btw ‘house adjacent’ is a brilliant remix name!😂👌
Sound formed in a vacuum may seem a waste of time...

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2022, 12:30:32 PM »
@LostBoy - hi I do remember the title but you achieved just what you set out to deliver. Modern dance pop. - off to Majorca??
Cool
:-)
neil
songwriter of no repute..

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2022, 05:08:16 PM »
As good as anything out there mate..just needs a bit more bottom I think. fab song and your singing is up there with the best.
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2022, 07:56:14 PM »
Very clever reimagining, and I too remember the more delicate original. It almost sounded like a theme track to a Disney movie to me, very polished and catchy with mass appeal I am sure.

Yeah, maybe I’d get the bass driving a bit more, but the overall dynamics of this is just fab. I also envy all these fab female vocalists you keep coming up with. You don’t keep them all up in your attic do you, then only let them out occasionally for food if they sing!  ;)

Great stuff anyway.  ;D
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2022, 07:22:17 PM »
@LostBoy - Leo … i have the original on my playlist, so I know that one… this is really cool. Would be great as an encore live, if you played the original unplugged near the beginning of the set.

Produced and delivered with usual high standard.

How about a rap overlay on the outro?