Lower Your Shoulders (Ashes for Dreams)

• 28 Replies

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2022, 07:53:17 PM »
Superb stuff.

I thought the vocals really stole the show again...which I might have said before...I seem to be repeating myself a lot these days...both in my reviews and in everyday life too.

Sorry it took me so long to get around to commenting...I think it's about a fortnight since I first caught this on Soundcloud...and I loved it straight away.

I also think the "lower your shoulders" line is such a perceptive and thought-provoking observation.

It's a really fabulous song.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2022, 07:57:11 PM »
Ps I had to laugh early on when I saw this posted on the forum...because this song was at the top of the "Recent Posts" thread and CowParsleyMans "Big Knickers" was the next one down...so when I glanced down at the screen as I was stopped at some traffic lights, it looked like somebody had posted a song entitled "Lower your big knickers" which made it difficult for me to pull away from the lights when they changed to green.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 06:56:46 AM by PaulAds »
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Unclenny

• Solo Gig
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2022, 11:59:51 PM »
You two make amazing music together!

This song moves so well....great vocals, as usual.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?band

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2022, 08:10:52 AM »
That's great. most enjoyable but also very interesting, too. I love the development through different phases. It retains the interest and never gets boring. When I hear a big kick drum start I always think "festival!" and I think your music played live would be great at an open air festival during a hot summer's evening. I hope this does get a live airing somewhere, it would be a shame to keep something so exciting and full of life only in the digital realm.

Derek
West Country Country Boy

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2022, 08:12:10 PM »
I love this track. We're supposed to come up with crits and suggestions, but this is fine as it is for me. Great vocals. A very memorable song. I could imagine this going down really well in a live situation. :)

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2022, 02:17:19 PM »
@ChrisPrice why thank you - ah, live... wouldn't that be fab.. the complication of our living thousands of miles from each other makes that an impossibility... Well that and JB playing nearly every instrument!! Appreciate your comments.

@delb0y thanks a mill.. indeed as above, not possible but it sure would be fab! Yeah and I do love that kick!

@Unclenny - thanks so much Steve :) !

@PaulAds - thank you!! I now have the title for the next song!! Watch this space! And thanks for the great comments... I'm not sure where "lower your shoulders" came from - I think I might have made it up in the writing of this one... not sure... or maybe I heard it somewhere? Don't think so - really glad it worked, as I did wonder at one point would people go "huh?"... Thanks for your lovely comments!

@ProfessorFalken - thanks so much.. I've just heard your song - no intimidation needed! Really appreciate your taking the time to listen and comment.

@adamfarr - you ask a good question. I really don't know how it's taken us this long considering I'm really a folkie and well, @Jambrains is too (ha!!) but rock has been the cornerstone of AFD from the beginning although I think definitely over the years there's much more gentle songs making their way in... Thanks a mill for liking it and your great comments.. I think you're right as well - this style feels great...

Thank you all!

Karen

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2022, 10:44:27 AM »
@MonnoDB - Just listening, like the kick, all superb as always Karen, some nice chords progressions. Great arrangement.

Very impressive.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2022, 05:00:10 PM »
Blimey..what a professional sound, loved the change at 1.30 and the delicate bridge, impossible to crit this song my friend, it's terrific.
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2022, 08:20:33 PM »
A bit late to comment, due to my recent absence once again, but at least I am still in the right month.

I loved the instrumental range on this from the deep bass drum up to higher pitched string plucking - then the lovely vocals sitting perfectly in the middle. There’s a little complexity in the chorus that takes it well out of formulaic territory. Very nice tune indeed, melody wise. Slightly on the more gentle side for you two, but I’d definitely vote for hearing more in this vein as this type of style and vibe seems to me to be naturally in your DNA.

Very cool.
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2022, 08:46:06 PM »
Hola @MonnoDB
How had I not seen this song? Sorry, my confusion is beyond me. I think it's one of the best songs I've heard from you, if not the best, it has it all, all good. I really enjoyed the sound, arrangement, voices and story. great piece!!!

and big kiss

Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2022, 08:51:33 PM »
Everything you two do is wonderful, truly. This is one of my favorites of yours. This has such a great beat.

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2022, 10:16:50 PM »
Hey @CaliaMoko - hope you're well - lovely to hear from you and what great comments, Thank you! :)

@moraamarolaloba - no worries.. it's hard to keep track, right? Thank you so much for your lovely comments.. Delighted you like it!

Hey @MichaelA - thanks a mill! Great to see you posting (love your new one!)... delighted you like this style.. I defo loved doing it! Can't beat a bit of folk-rock! The next one is even gentler actually.. can never tell what's round the corner!

@shadowfax - thank you sir! High praise indeed from your good self!

@cowparsleyman - hey there! Great to hear from you - thanks for checking it out and for those lovely comments!

Thanks all! Chuffed indeed here..

K

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2022, 09:54:06 AM »
@Ashes for Dreams @Jambrains
Hi team, long time no listen but pleased I did.
Clever soundscape for your distinctive vocals.
I’m not sure where you come from, Ireland maybe? but I love hearing
your accent, the same way that you can hear Biffy’s.
Anyway I digress m, interesting chords in the chorus give it a different vibe, and I love the key changes towards the end:-)
Top notch vocals and harmonies.
Two small thought to consider: title I think you should use the last line in the chorus.  ‘sweep all your demons away’
And vocals, I think in some areas there a bit low in the mix? Towards the end you do a multi part harmony which sounds great volume wise.
Really enjoyed it, and keep up the good work
:-)
Neil
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 09:56:36 AM by Neil C »
songwriter of no repute..

atreu73

• Busker
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2022, 11:14:05 AM »
Nice song and good performance. Your voice harmonies are smooth. The chord progression smart. The orchestration full of surprises. Well done.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 11:18:39 AM by atreu73 »