Lower Your Shoulders (Ashes for Dreams)

• 28 Replies

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« on: May 04, 2022, 08:55:40 PM »
Hi all!

Happy May - summer's here (in theory)! Hope all are well..

It's been a while but myself and @Jambrains have been busy of late ... A new one from us.. kinda folky rocky we think, which we haven't done before (surprisingly!)... This one has been hanging around for a while but took off over the last few weeks.. As always, an absolute pleasure working with JB... a blast and a half!

As always, all comments, crits, nits, anything are gratefully received before we tweak, as we inevitably will!

K

It’ll take time, maybe it should
I’d own your pain if I could
You’d do the same I know you would
There’s no right way to feel the hurt
You’ll find your path, you’re not the first
To think it’s something you deserve
Give yourself a break
Let me give while you take, darlin' please

Lower your shoulders
I meant what I told you
Just let me hold you
And sweep all your demons away
I’m brave and I’m bold
And your life will unfold
If you trust me to hold you

I saw you standing to the side
Like you had something to hide
And I was mesmerised
I’m not sure why I’m drawn to you
You seem so closed, but open too
It’s in your eyes I see your truth
Let your feelings out
In a whisper or a shout, darlin' please

Lower your shoulders
I meant what I told you
Just let me hold you
I’m brave and I’m bold

There’s no healing without feeling
However pleasing to box away the pain
Escape takes many shapes
But when you return the loss remains

Lower your shoulders
I meant what I told you
Just let me hold you
I’m brave and I’m bold

Bankie

• Solo Gig
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2022, 11:11:54 PM »
That was very interesting, and enjoyable too. Wonderful chord progressions - the Cm-Bb-B modulation reminds me of a Queensryche song (from the time they were good, not the more recent pap). Keeping a song developing through its entirety is a weakness of many songs in the amateur realm, but not on this track - definitely didn't get bored at any point. I usually like to find something to pick on and suggest for improvement, but not this time. I was too busy just enjoying it :)

Maya Clars

• Solo Gig
  • Follow me on Instagram (@mayaclars)
    • mayaclars.com
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2022, 06:53:29 PM »
At the beginning the drums sounds interesting with bass background.
Great vocal work. Original, non-trivial transitions between the keys.  Beautiful bridge.
I really like it!

Maya

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2022, 11:53:51 PM »
Hi guys, I loved the unpredictability of the chorus…I had no clue where it was going which is always nice…Beautifully sung and recorded as always….I’m not sure I’ve ever heard a long delay on a vocal of yours Karen!?😆🤪👍🏻 What’s next a guest rapper??😜😆

Excellent lyrics!👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

The only thing I wasn’t crazy about is the chord you use after the key change on “Just let me hold you…etc”. I don’t doubt that the chord is a legit option😄👍🏻….but to my ear at least (after 4 listens) it just isn’t as pleasant sounding as the previous choruses on those same lines in the key before. Just my opinion of course and to be taken with a grain of salt.

Great to hear new stuff from you both.😄👍🏻

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2022, 08:46:11 AM »
Another great track Karen.  I love the sudden drop off into the mid 8 and the drum pattern to build it back up is great.  Plenty to like in here.
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2022, 09:16:43 AM »
This is such a fabulously put together track guys. That big powerful kick drives the whole song along and I love the mandolin before the rest of the instruments kick in. It's got a great build and dynamics to it as well, with very well thought out use of space. The lyrics are really well though out too. My favorite lines are "I’m not sure why I’m drawn to you, You seem so closed, but open too"

Another superb track of which you both should be very proud  :)

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2022, 12:08:42 PM »
Yo Karen and Johan.

Man,I love this.

Starts of like we are going to get a dose of Copperhead road stylee,then morphs slickly into your very own combined trademark sound.

The general feel of the song is a little more 'up' than usual,yet still mines that ever present deep vein of melancholy defined by Karen's vocal style.

Miles better to my ears than what I hear on the radio. Gonna play the shit out of this one.   8)

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2022, 08:53:08 PM »
Thanks all for the listens!

Hey @Bankie - thanks for that - comments most appreciated. Not familiar with Queensryche - must check them out! Many thanks..

@Maya Clars - thanks a mill for the great and considered comments!

@LostBoy - guest rapper? No @Jambrains has volunteered :) !! Thanks a mill - hmmm re the chord.. you're right it's different but to me, not in a bad way.. I'll listen more though. Thanks for taking the time for all those listens and for your notes.. Much appreciated.

@PeteS - thanks so much... Yeah I gotta agree re the arrangement and build back up.. Really appreciate the comments..

@pompeyjazz thanks a mill! That's funny that you should pick out that line cos I fretted about it a bit, the contradiction and all but it fought to stay !! So I'm really pleased that you mentioned it.. You're very kind..

@Skub too kind sir... such great comments.. Delighted you enjoyed it - agree with the contrast in arrangement and lyric / delivery... and really happy it worked for you!

Thanks again all.. chuffed!

K

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2022, 11:19:32 PM »
I really liked everything about this.  It has a kind of folk feel but combined with a Britpop swagger, that works a treat.  The title itself is intriguing and a great way to deliver that 'you've got a friend' message but in a non-cliched, fresh way.  Interesting and slightly unpredictable melodies too.  Right up there with your best... possibly my all time fave of yours (although there's some stiff competition).
It's all too beautiful.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2022, 01:53:12 PM »
@MonnoDB

Hi Karen and JB, loved the chord progressions. Nice guitar and (mandolin?) sounds. The drums sounded really good to me too. Trademark Karen vocals, excellent as usual, and I liked the change of pace near the end when it changed down.

Top class

Jamie

man made material

• Solo Gig
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2022, 06:00:34 PM »
@MonnoDB @Jambrains  Wow! This starts with an epic kick, I’m ready to join the march! Let’s take this town!😁 there’s far more to this song though, it’s far more complex than just a rallying march though has the same uplifting feel, really cleverly done… I think the melody in the verses is beautiful too, your pipes are sounding in fine fettle as well Karen!👌❤️
Sound formed in a vacuum may seem a waste of time...

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2022, 10:28:19 AM »
Hi Karen/JB,

Hope you're good.
I'm in my umpteenth attempt at resurrecting my musical mojo - so here we go...

Another belting write; so much in well under 4 minutes.
The songs really does move around a lot whilst remaining a coherent piece.
Loving the production on the drum.
Usual top notch vocal.

I get the Copperhead Road reference, and maybe even a short blast of Faith at one point.
Bankie had me listening out for the Queensryche reference. You really need to check out Operation: Mindcrime - one of the greatest albums ever.

Digger

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2022, 09:16:03 PM »
Hey @digger72 - lovely to see you (I'm hoping this means there's some thing new from you on the way!!).. Thanks for those lovely comments. Interesting refs - listened to some of the Queensryche album - agree it's fab (JB would laugh at me saying that - I would have run a mile before he lured me into the dark side :) )

@man made material - thanks so much.. Agree that kick is something else!! Lovely comments - chuffed!

@Jamie thanks a million - you're too kind, sir!

@PaulyX - whoa thanks! Such great comments... yeah it's funny we've never done folky really although they all start out like that really :) ! Thanks so much..

Thanks all!

K

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2022, 07:50:26 AM »
I have to ask why haven't you been this direction before?! You both seem very at home here. And I am a sucker for a good mandolin.

"Lower your shoulders" is one of those interesting non-obvious (to me at least) turns of phrase which made me want to understand more and then in context I totally got it. Clever and good for a title.

Big (Jambrains) arrangement as ever - that vocal delay is epic. There is a digital pulse sound that appears around 1'32" which I didn't think was totally in line with the folk vibe - perhaps a real triangle / cowbell etc. would be better?

But it's a triumph and I am wanting to hear more of this style.

ProfessorFalken

• Busker
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2022, 10:54:26 AM »
Yeah, really good. I'm not really a folky rock type person but that chord progression in the chorus is really magical. Vocals and production top draw. I'm new to the forum and this is literally the first tune I've listened to so I'm quite intimidated about uploading my own music!