Simply Delicious

• 15 Replies

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« on: April 26, 2022, 12:53:38 PM »
Hi friends, some of you might remember my little project where I'm trying to write a song for each of a random row of books I found.
This one is "Simply Delicious" - I guess it must be a cookery book or something.

Of all the books in the project, I found this the hardest title to get to grips with.  At first I wrote an icky love song that turned out to be way too twee and made me want to vomit.  Maybe I'm just too cynical.  So then I thought I'd try twisting it around and adding some negativity to the mix.  Normally I try and stick to positive songs, but with this title I felt I needed something darker to stop it being too syrupy.  So I thought about who do I feel deserves a bit of spite, and wrote a song for them.  I won't say who it is for, but the Brits can probably guess, and let's just say I wanted to finish it before May 5th, because I suspect/hope it won't be needed for long after that.  :-)

I'm not totally pleased with it but glad it is done.  Gloves off comments very welcome.  Cheers!
Pauly

Lyrics:

You made a lot of promises - I guess you just forgot.
The milk of human kindness curdled on your watch.
Now that you've been rumbled, sticky fingers in the tin,
All your cookies crumble, and your 'friends' begin to sing

It's going to be simply delicious when you're gone

Should I feel bad that I feel good that you feel bad?
It's understood that schadenfreude is an indiscretion.
But now that you have bent the rules well I will too, not suffer fools
who always thought that they were the exception
So get behind us, get thee gone, and we’ll get on and right the wrongs
You’ve scattered in the carnage of your wake.
Though you leave a bitter taste there is no doubt when you’re replaced
We will hold a banquet and drink to your disgrace.

It's going to be simply delicious when you're gone.
It's all too beautiful.

Bankie

• Solo Gig
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2022, 01:23:08 PM »
Nice on the acoustic riff, and a very nice guitar sound too. Good lyrics, and song length is about right. I especially liked the ending - I've said before that I like the creativity of ending a song, and this is really good.

The guitar panned to the left that comes in at 2:12 really jarred me though. The bassy sound unbalanced everything and completely distracted me (listening on a good set of headphones). I also think the chorus deserves more gusto and overlaid vocals. It would also have made sense to the content - like it's everyone joining in with the same sentiment.

Otherwise though, I enjoyed it and it's a nice tidy, well-made track.

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2022, 01:34:53 PM »
Hola @PaulyX

I like the guitar in the intro, then the voice comes in great. I can guess who it is, although I already know that each one will imagine from the way they see the...
The song has a teasing tone at times which I like.
Good guitars, those chords welcome the voice very well in that part.
I liked it a lot.
I forgot to mention that the lyrics have very good lines, really good.

Stay well

Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2022, 03:21:53 PM »
@moraamarolaloba and @Bankie - thanks very much for the quick feedback, it's appreciated.
Bankie, yeah you're dead right...that crunch guitar coming in was my attempt to make the final chorus 'pop' but I think I over-egged the pudding.  I've brought it down a few decibels now and made the panning less extreme, so it's still there but hopefully less obtrusive.  Agree too about the final vocals - I'd like to do that, unfortunately just don't have enough friends around to assemble a choir!  But you've nailed exactly the effect I wanted... a kind of celebration of many people at the end.
Thanks guys!
It's all too beautiful.

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2022, 10:04:17 PM »
Nice little song, Pauly. I really like the first verse, the lyrics, melody and the singing and the arrangement/feel, and the first chorus - fine juxtaposition between the two (verse and chorus), and that one line chorus expanded nicely into a Beatles-ish moment. It's a neat way of using the title Simply Delicious, too. The second half of the song lost me a little - I think the layering of the vocals worked against the feel (for me) - although I get why you wanted to do that. Some lovely rhymes in the second half, too, as well, so it's by no means a "no" from me, its just I liked the first half so much. But as for the actual song - great idea, and super lyrics, and some great rhymes and rhythms, and the melody and first chorus really work for me, too.

Derek
West Country Country Boy

Kafla

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2022, 01:11:36 PM »
Great concept writing @PaulyX ❤️

I love the acoustic riff opening - it’s sounds like Depeche Mode from the Ultra period. I like the contrast of the vesrses to the chorus which take off in a different direction….but still as interesting.

The arrangement develops significantly in the 2nd half….it’s whimsical and threatening at the same time…. If that’s possible lol

And the wee flute synth and ending is a little Ogden’s nut gone flake ❤️

Love the lyrics - so very well crafted….yes it will be simply delicious when he’s gone  ✊🏻

Very creative my friend and all pulled together so well 🤩

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2022, 01:39:04 PM »
@PaulyX

Hi mate, brilliant chords and love the variation between the verses and the chorus. Nicely played, structured, sung and produced. What's not to like!

Very nice!

Jamie

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2022, 02:06:09 PM »
Hi @PaulyX I've really enjoyed the creations that you've come up with on your reading list project.

This is fab - Great sixties vibe and I I love the guitar sounds and your dual octave vocals which is a speciality of yours. The lyrics as always are very cleverly crafted and thought out and also not too obvious - The Siegfried Line ending is excellent too

Only one small crit is that maybe the vocals are a bit overpowering on the second chorus - An easy fix

Stellar work Paul and looking forward to the next one - What's next ? "100 Country Household Hints" ?

Excellent  :)

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2022, 08:40:06 PM »
Yo Pauly.

Love those great clanking guitars on this one. It's a cool package for sure. Pure PaulyX.

Keep cooking brother.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2022, 08:52:49 PM »
That riff is brilliant!

Love the lyrics...you're such an intelligent chap. I love your left-field take on things. All the dangerous ass-kissing establishment shills seem to be filling their pockets parroting their agenda-driven shite...but the twilight world of the criminally-underappreciated songwriter is a far better place with fellas like you in it, if you don't mind me saying so.

I particularly loved the image of the curdling milk of human kindness.

As Billy Bragg said "I will leave an extra pint"

Excellent!

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2022, 07:23:47 PM »
@PaulyX Ha - love the idea behind the song - great idea! Some great composition there - interesting progressions as I’d expect…

“The milk of human kindness curdled on your watch” - a brilliant line among brilliant lines..

Love the delivery of that first chorus in particular.. I do like it also when it gets going later but the gentleness of that first one just was lovely.. Great ending also.. clever…

Maya Clars

• Solo Gig
  • Follow me on Instagram (@mayaclars)
    • mayaclars.com
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2022, 07:23:40 PM »
I liked this smooth minor key beginning of the song with the beautiful harmonies.
I would slightly reduce the brightness of the snare, but it's just for my taste, I can be wrong.
Pleasant melody and vocals, interesting outro. It's very interesting to listen to.

Maya

bigFishAndTheSmallPondets

• Open Mic
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2022, 08:40:33 AM »
Hi @PaulyX.

I found the introduction a little surprising. With that drumbeat to start, I thought the song would take off, but it actually starts more quietly and menacingly. I found it a little jarring, which I actually liked, as I feel it reflected the sentiment of the song. Do hope that's a fair observation.

The song is so articulate and witty. "The milk of human kindness curdled on your watch" - such a great line.

The 'simply delicious' chorus really lifts and sweetens. Makes for such a great contrast and gives the song more wit and humour. It sounds cathartic to mock the ex-lover who obviously doesn't know what they're missing.

After 'when you're gone' in the first play of the chorus I can hear a sound that works so well, but I can't tell what it is. A guitar drenched in reverb? That's just a guess. Whatever it is, it sounds so mysterious and works brilliantly.

The song then seems to pick up and become defiant and strong. It sounds as though you are dealing with this difficult situation very robustly.

Such expressive poetry in the music. I don't think I've ever hear the word 'schadenfreude' in a song before. And also the tune is so catchy as well.

Great stuff.

Hi friends, some of you might remember my little project where I'm trying to write a song for each of a random row of books I found.
This one is "Simply Delicious" - I guess it must be a cookery book or something.

Of all the books in the project, I found this the hardest title to get to grips with.  At first I wrote an icky love song that turned out to be way too twee and made me want to vomit.  Maybe I'm just too cynical.  So then I thought I'd try twisting it around and adding some negativity to the mix.  Normally I try and stick to positive songs, but with this title I felt I needed something darker to stop it being too syrupy.  So I thought about who do I feel deserves a bit of spite, and wrote a song for them.  I won't say who it is for, but the Brits can probably guess, and let's just say I wanted to finish it before May 5th, because I suspect/hope it won't be needed for long after that.  :-)

I'm not totally pleased with it but glad it is done.  Gloves off comments very welcome.  Cheers!
Pauly

Lyrics:

You made a lot of promises - I guess you just forgot.
The milk of human kindness curdled on your watch.
Now that you've been rumbled, sticky fingers in the tin,
All your cookies crumble, and your 'friends' begin to sing

It's going to be simply delicious when you're gone

Should I feel bad that I feel good that you feel bad?
It's understood that schadenfreude is an indiscretion.
But now that you have bent the rules well I will too, not suffer fools
who always thought that they were the exception
So get behind us, get thee gone, and we’ll get on and right the wrongs
You’ve scattered in the carnage of your wake.
Though you leave a bitter taste there is no doubt when you’re replaced
We will hold a banquet and drink to your disgrace.

It's going to be simply delicious when you're gone.

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2022, 11:15:41 PM »
Hey friends, at the risk of bumping my track, just wanted to say thanks for all the comments... really useful feedback as ever, especially the tips & perceptions on what ain't quite right.  Thanks for listening.
It's all too beautiful.

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2022, 12:31:44 AM »
Great use of that title Paul mate! Nice catchy chorus! For some reason I could definitely hear Suede singing this in the 90’s.😄👍🏻 I love that you’re doing this fun little project…keeps the hobby interesting and challenging.

I enjoyed the music, you’ve obviously tweaked it since earlier comments because nothing dodgy stood out to me. Sounds great! I love the way you mixed your vocals too. Well done sir….so come on mate, when do we get to the song everyone’s waiting for….The “Karma Sutra”?? 🤪😜😆🤷🏼‍♂️