konalavadome

You’re more than I deserve

• 19 Replies

Kafla

« on: April 15, 2022, 12:30:13 PM »
https://soundcloud.com/andrewcruse/youre-more-than-i-deserve?utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

This song is about having imposter syndrome and been crippled by anxiety that you will be found out and lose everything. It’s about marvelling in the places you have been…. and the love you have… and wondering how the fck did that happen….

It’s also a complete paradox to put a song like this up for critique when you feel like this 😂😂😂😂

You and I went walking through the streets of Tokyo
Caught the bullet train at Shinagawa bound for Kyoto
Who am I to change all the simple ways that fill your heart and soul
Those beautiful ways that are so understated , deftly created

These are the strangest of times
scared to even open my eyes
but I thank the heavens your’e mine

Paddled round the Tyrrhenian Sea had lunch in Elba
Crashing into Napoleons house stole all his treasure
Who am I to pray that you will always stay inside my heart and soul
I pray every day
And if my prayers go unanswered,  I’ll pray much harder

Wherever we will go
Whatever roads and paths we follow
There’s two things that I know
That I will be with you
Through every highway and every sorrow
And I know that it’s true….you’re more than I deserve

Sailing boats and pedalos around Lake Geneva
Sipping on that sunshine wine you know life is so fine
Who am I to ask , it’s not a simple task , to claim your heart and soul
Is it too much to ask
If it’s there for the taking there’s no point in waiting
« Last Edit: April 15, 2022, 06:17:45 PM by kafla »

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2022, 03:36:37 PM »
One of my fav singer/songwriters is Marc Cohen and the album with Walking in Memphis.

Your voice carries the same warm timbre,Andy.

This one envelopes the listener with warm,melodic tones and is an absolute delight for the ears.

Gonna give this a few plays now.   8)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2022, 07:26:50 PM »
This is a wonderful mellow warm vibe @kafla Superb vocals and perfect backing track. I can see what Davy means about "Walking In Memphis" but this is better IMO. I love the subtle accordion when it kicks in. You have some top, top, quality songs Andy and this is no exception. Excellent piece of work :)

Just one point - The start is really abrupt so maybe add a couple of seconds of silence at the beginning as Soundcloud is great at chopping bits off !!

Love it mate

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2022, 06:11:58 AM »
That's a real great song, Kafla. I can't come up with any suggestions - which is a good thing for you, and for the song, as it means it's just...right. Lovely tune and vocals and the arrangement is great, although I always try not to pay too much attention to the arrangement as it's the songs we're about - but I always fail in this regard anyway, and here the arrangement is spot on.

So yes, nothing to suggest, I'm afraid. A lovely listen, great lyrics, and a real nice vibe.

Excellent listen.

Thanks for sharing this one with us all.
Derek
West Country Country Boy

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2022, 05:53:42 PM »
Jimmy Webb writes a song for Neil Diamond and @kafla records it in fine fashion :D
Classic song writing this and it flows like a river.

Paul

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2022, 09:26:57 PM »
Some of those rhymes really caught me: Elba/treasure, unanswered/harder and a couple others, I think. I love those unexpected rhyming pairs! And such a nice mellow sound throughout. I did find myself expecting a "lift" for the chorus, and it surprised me every time when it didn't. Overall, very nice, though. Love the vocals.

Kafla

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2022, 01:18:36 PM »
@Skub means a lot honestly and @pompeyjazz what a lovely review….I will defo bear the silence comment in mind , thank you ❤️

@delb0y nice to meet you mate and I really appreciate the kind words indeed 😎

@Paulski man that would be some combo….Jimmy wrote my favourite lyric of all time…. And I need you more than want you
And I want you for all time 🥰🥰🥰🥰

@CaliaMoko you know I have never really overly worried about rhyming….it’s seems so restrictive (maybe I am too lazy lol)….I prefer words & phrases that sound nice together….I tend to sing gobbledegook and write down the lines I like…..it’s nice you dig them 🥰There is defo a sense of anticlimax in the chorus….the pre chorus ends on C D7 and the chorus drops back to the C….I kind of liked the understated element of it and it matches the mood….but yes I think you are right it doesn’t lift as such🤩

Thank you so much everyone ❤️❤️❤️❤️
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 01:20:20 PM by kafla »

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2022, 03:55:27 PM »
@kafla

Hi Andy, lovely clear backing track with a very mellow tone to your vocal. Can't really add much, it all went pretty well together, a very nice song well performed! I agree with your comments about rhymes in lyrics. I do rhyme in some songs, but there are songs that would become too prosaic if you rhymed the lyrics, so it depends on the song , the style and the sentiment imho.

Cheers

Jamie

Bankie

• Solo Gig
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2022, 10:24:28 PM »
Very nice; you've a very easy voice to listen too and the song flows well. I especially liked the strings - they blended very nicely. Regarding the mix, I felt the right side had a little too much bass. Panning things out is obviously a good thing to do, but the treble/bass feels a little unbalanced because of the instruments you've placed there and could probably have been fixed by some EQing. Could just be my ears though; I'm not a mixing guru. Overall, very enjoyable though.

bigFishAndTheSmallPondets

• Open Mic
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2022, 09:03:39 AM »
That is a truly amazing instrument you possess. Your voice is wonderful. So warm, open and comforting and it's used to really great effect with this song.

Such an emotional declaration of love and devotion. I can hear the fragility, but you manage to express it in a way that I think everyone can relate to, at least to some extent. I think we all question, from time to time, whether we really deserve all that we have.

It's a very beautiful song. Very breezy, which I feel really brings out the fond memories you share with the love of your life.

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2022, 11:50:39 AM »
Hola @kafla

It's the first song that I listen this morning!! Your color reminds me many good artists, it has been a very nice listening. Have a nice dy!

Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2022, 11:59:44 PM »
Lovely song. Great vocal and an arrangement that sets the mood perfectly. No crits from me. Not a lot I can say, this is a great song. I really enjoyed listening. :)

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2022, 10:07:24 AM »
What a touching, well considered, non-cheesy love song. Really liked the line about Napoleon’s treasure in particular. It’s warm and balanced, with great vocals. I didn’t pick up on the ‘imposter syndrome’ message much but that’s fine, I still thought the lyrics were exceptional and got drawn in by all the globe trotting images that accompany the relationship. Super.
It's all too beautiful.

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2022, 11:45:05 PM »
Hi mate,

Another lovely song from you.🤩👍🏻 This one is particularly image rich, which I loved and while I didn’t really pick up on the “imposter syndrome” part of your explanation in the lyric, it didn’t matter at all to me because the message of the song is still crystal clear. It’s a really nice love song. Well done mate!🎶👊🏻🎶😄

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2022, 09:15:01 PM »
Top banana.

As Clint Eastwoods William Munny said to Gene Hackmans Little Bill Daggett before he blew his face off...

"Deserve's got nothing to do with it"

Being in a somewhat reflective and curious frame of mind tonight, I find myself musing about that sort of yo-yo ing "I'm the best/I'm the worst" dichotomy thing that lots of people I know seem to wrestle with.

If she's more than you deserve, then you're a very lucky fella. And if you really think that she's more than you deserve, then she's a very lucky girl.

It's a lovely song too...I just got carried away with the idea behind it :)

I always love your songs.

You don't fancy writing a crock of shit sometime just to mix it up a bit, do you?

:)

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter