Lateral Flow

• 16 Replies

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« on: April 13, 2022, 01:08:16 AM »
Please forgive me for not being around much lately (again!). I’ve just got over Covid. It didn’t hit me as hard as some but recovery has been slow. I still feel knackered, but better than the alternative!!..I’ll stop whining shall I?!! Here’s my latest offering. The subject matter is pretty obvious. It’s about the time before the scientists worked their magic and came up with the vaccines. It’s meant to be enjoyed even if the lyrics are a bit darker than my usual stuff.

Lateral Flow
Words & Music ©2022 Chris Price

A sensation that you can’t see
Takes off like it’s meant to be
A bolt of lightning out of the blue
And it can happen to me and you
No quick fix and no inoculation
Got no pills to stop you getting sick
No matter what you do or what’s your occupation
Get on the case and do it real quick

It’s time for some lateral flow
All about where the pokey stick go
Right in front of you, it’s there on the line...wait a little time

Got it’s hooks into you and me
Gotta feeling that we’ll never be free
Fixing the numbers n cooking the books
Dropping like flies everywhere you look
Following the science and every soundbite
Talking shit and never get it right
World beating, politics speak
hypocritical bubble and squeak

It’s time for some lateral flow
All about where the pokey stick go
Right in front of you, it’s there on the line...wait a little time

One..you feel real sick
Two.. there’s no quick fix
Three..it’s all on the line
Four...this could be your time
Five...it’s time to pray
That we live to see another day
Pray for our brothers, pray for our sisters
who checked out too soon today

Lateral Flow..where the pokey stick go
Talkin’ bout Lateral Flow...where it come from I don’t know
Lateral Flow..where the pokey stick go
We all need some Lateral Flow...where it come from…

On my website (song 43):
http://5ded45f1cd13e.site123.me/

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2022, 02:24:09 AM »
Oh, yeah, frenetic guitar, nice! Love the harmonies. Timely topic. Nice treatment.

Sorry it gotcha! Glad you're getting better.

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2022, 08:01:05 AM »
That's great Chris. Lovely groove and everything sounds just right - guitar and vocals together just rock along a treat. Nothing to add, but I'm always determined to find something...

In this case the phrase "no inoculation" jumped out at me, because I thought, there is, we've most of us had it, and it worked wonders. Then I read your notes and realised that this was written about the time before the vaccines... that made sense, apart from the main thrust of the song which is lateral flow - because I got to wondering if these tests didn't come after the first inoculations? None of which really matters one iota but when I'm thinking about this stuff I've stopped concentrating on the song.

Now this is really deep down nit-picking. I'm having to search for something critical to say, and this is all I could find - so really you've doing a 99.9% perfect job. Oh, I don't know what a pokey stick is, either, or where it fits in (and Google didn't help in the context of this song).

Cheers
Derek
West Country Country Boy

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2022, 12:21:06 PM »
Hola @ChrisPrice
It's such a real, authentic sounding song from back then.
I thought the lyrics were great, this line is wonderful, very special among others.
Very good track!

Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2022, 12:41:57 PM »
That's great Chris. Lovely groove and everything sounds just right - guitar and vocals together just rock along a treat. Nothing to add, but I'm always determined to find something...

In this case the phrase "no inoculation" jumped out at me, because I thought, there is, we've most of us had it, and it worked wonders. Then I read your notes and realised that this was written about the time before the vaccines... that made sense, apart from the main thrust of the song which is lateral flow - because I got to wondering if these tests didn't come after the first inoculations? None of which really matters one iota but when I'm thinking about this stuff I've stopped concentrating on the song.

Now this is really deep down nit-picking. I'm having to search for something critical to say, and this is all I could find - so really you've doing a 99.9% perfect job. Oh, I don't know what a pokey stick is, either, or where it fits in (and Google didn't help in the context of this song).

Cheers
Derek

'Pokey stick'..it's my silly term for the thing you stick up your nose in order to do a lateral flow test. The lyrics aren't perfectly in context but I don't think it matters too much. Thanks for listening and kind words. :)

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2022, 06:04:11 PM »
Hey Chris.

Love this stomping rocker. It grabs the listener by the lapels and yells in their face. No ignoring this one.

Cool guitars throughout,right up my street! Power to yer elbow man.

Kafla

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2022, 06:06:49 PM »
Man this is awesome rock! You record everything so well….it’s like the Rolling Stones have just popped round for a spliff and you just have a jam….

Your vocals in particular are awesome 🤩❤️

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2022, 07:25:06 PM »
Nice up and at em stuff @ChrisPrice and some lovely "Keef" like riffs. I hope that you're feeling better mate. I was a bit confused by the "pokey stick" reference as well but now all is clear  ;D You're a master of this type of song. Really tight playing and a really enjoyable listen

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2022, 03:59:26 PM »
@ChrisPrice

Hi Chris, I listened to this about a week ago and I was sure I'd commented... Senility is creeping up! Anyway, as others commented, it's got a real Stones feel to it  and that's not a criticism. Good idea for a song, and 'pokey stick' explains it perfectly in my mind ;D. Great singing too!

Very good

jamie

Bankie

• Solo Gig
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2022, 09:59:40 PM »
Very tidy; well done. Not many marks for originality music-wise, but it made my foot tap and I did enjoy it. The structure and length are spot-on, and production is pretty decent. Nothing really to find fault with.

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2022, 07:54:47 PM »
Another great track Chris! Sorry, not much more I can say than that on this one. Well done….again!!🤩🍻

Maya Clars

• Solo Gig
  • Follow me on Instagram (@mayaclars)
    • mayaclars.com
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2022, 08:08:19 PM »
Agreeing with you. "It's time for some lateral flow"!
Great song, amazing guitar sound, especially the solo towards the end of the song.
The song uplifts the mood and vive's vitality. I liked it very much.

Maya

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2022, 10:01:29 AM »
Terrific bluesy licks in this Chris.  Agree with the Stones comparisons.  I like the way it doesn't take itself too seriously too ('pokey stick' etc... made me smile).  That ascending start into the solo around 2:18 is a total joy too... and also the unexpected sudden ending is a nice touch.  Keep em coming and hope you are feeling fully recovered now.
It's all too beautiful.

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2022, 12:54:38 AM »
Man this is awesome rock! You record everything so well….it’s like the Rolling Stones have just popped round for a spliff and you just have a jam….

Your vocals in particular are awesome 🤩❤️
Probably the nicest review I ever had!! Really made me smile! Almost made me want to roll another spliff after about 30 years off!! Yes, the Stones are a big influence on me - among others. The song is tongue in cheek but I tried to get that rock n roll vibe which I don't hear so often these days. Thanks to all for kind words. More to come soon. :)

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2022, 12:37:38 PM »
@ChrisPrice
Great riff that Keef would be proud of is a great place to start.
Sharp lyrics.
Lots to like here, thanks for sharing
:-)
neil
songwriter of no repute..