Earthquake

• 19 Replies

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« on: April 03, 2022, 09:10:29 PM »
Ok….quick background on this song….my 4 year old daughter loves the new “Turning red” Disney film….there is a boyband in the film…she likes the songs….the songs however are mediocre at best!  (Although they are Written by Billie Eilish who I like.🤷🏼‍♂️) I decided to show her a REAL boyband!🤦🏼‍♂️😆 100 hours of Backstreet Boy youtube videos later and she’s a HUGE fan!🤦🏼‍♂️🤣🤦🏼‍♂️🤣 (don’t pretend you’re not too!! This forum screams “Boyband!”🤪🤣)
Sooo….anyway…I thought it would be fun and an interesting challenge to pretend that I was on the writing team for The Backstreet Boys “Millenium” album when they were in there prime (around 2000)….my only goal really was to write something catchy enough to get stuck in my daughters head….I am happy to report that I have accomplished my mission, she won’t stop singing it…AND I had a lot of fun putting this all together….I even managed to squeeze in an almighty “Tell me why!!”🤪😆🤷🏼‍♂️

Remember that most Boy band lyrics….especially BSB lyrics are historically naff! Mine aren’t great, I was more concerned with melody, word sounds and flow.👍🏻

Musically I am working mostly with loops on this track….which allowed me to work much faster than usual.

Anyway….all constructive feedback is welcome and thank you for your time.😄

https://soundcloud.com/leo-b-5/earthquake?utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

lyrics.

Spent my nights chasing sparks
some ignite, but not like us
the moment our eyes met
we burst into flame
the years they go by but
I still feel the same

So I couldn’t believe it
came back on an early flight
found him in the bedroom, oh no
it’s an…

Chorus
Earthquake
never gonna be the same
watch the house we made a home
crumble into nothing
heartbreak
loving you a mistake
now the writings on the wall
nothing left but loneliness.

We both had our demons
our reason for scars
our walls on the outside
defending our hearts
ill never forget the first time
you said you love me here in my arms
was that a lie?
I’m so lost inside

Couldn’t believe what I could see
when I came home last night in our bed
i never dreamed that you would cheat
girl we had everything….

Bridge.
You want my forgiveness
but I can’t get past this no
hurts so bad
crushed in the rubble of us
tell me why.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2022, 02:49:29 PM »
An interesting challenge @LostBoy and you seem to have hit the nail on the head Leo. I played this one to a friend as an example of some of the songs that were posted on the forum and they were absolutely knocked out by the quality and professionalism. I thought it was absolutely great and using loops is no big deal, just a part of the songwriters toolkit these days - If it's out there then why not use it. Top quality tune Leo

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2022, 04:40:38 PM »
Politically incorrect as I am, I must confess that I used to call them "The Backdoor Boys" which I am slightly ashamed of.

From what I remember of them...which was only as long as the time it took me to reach the remote control or "off" button, I don't recall them being anywhere near as good as this. Perhaps I judged them too harshly. Who knows...I just felt like all that stuff was just a continuation of the impressionable teenage girl pocket money shakedown that pop music has always been. Having looked at them again today, it looks like there was probably a lot more to them than I realised...but I suppose that's the way it goes...

Your vocals sound so good and convincing that gives whatever you're singing a lot of authority and gravitas. The lyrics are sound anyway!

Loops and what-have-you...why not? It's the old grey whistle test, isn't it :)

If I could do something that sounds as good as this...I'd be proud to play it to people...rather than being embarrassed to play my stuff beyond these virtual for (um) walls.

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2022, 09:40:22 AM »
@LostBoy Miserable failure Leo, it's way too good to be compared to Backstreet boys!  The tell me why and vocal layers are great!

A girl in a band I was in back then liked the backstreet boys so we tried a cover of Larger than Life.  Unsurprisingly it never saw the light of day 🤣

Good work!
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2022, 01:40:32 PM »
@LostBoy

Hi Leo, I have a a pathological hate of boy bands >:(. It's the whole constructed thing and when they dance in unison I feel like vomiting :o. I'm glad you didn't do a video of you dancing with your mates ;). Right, now I've got that off my chest! Brilliant vocals and a catchy melody, I'd rather listen to you any day mate!

Cheers

Jamie

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2022, 03:32:08 PM »
I seem to be in the minority, but I did enjoy watching boy bands and any groups who had cool harmonies and choreography. I love listening to the sounds and watching the artwork. I didn't even always know what the words were.

I think this one is great and I really, really, really want to learn to work with loops like this. Or maybe samples, like Native Instruments. So I can post something awesome like this one.

I think the words are good. Nice images. And it all fits together really well. I especially like the way you sang "Earth. Quake."

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2022, 06:50:57 PM »
Hola  @LostBoy

hahaha You have rescued your daughter from becoming addicted to the mediocre!!! Well you did it!!!

I think it's a good song, it is really catchy, I love the rhythm as well as the sound and the arrangement and the voices...
The breaks enhance the different parts that appear afterwards, very good job!!!

Stay well

Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2022, 05:03:13 PM »
@pompeyjazz @PaulAds @moraamarolaloba @PeteS @Jamie @CaliaMoko Thank you very much for listening guys….yeah, I don’t really have any issue using loops…I don’t have many songs without a loop of some sort in them…it saves me a lot of time and all that really matters is the song you end up with.😄👍🏻 I’m glad you liked this track! Thanks again.

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2022, 10:36:50 PM »
Perfect use of loops as you are the star of the show Leo, not the backing track. Who cares!

Great melody, harmonies and lead vox. No wonder your daughter liked it, it’s universally infectious. Lovely stuff 👍
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Kafla

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2022, 01:41:57 PM »
Just perfect pop Leo….I reckon you would sneeze in tune 😃

Great arrangement - perfect dynamics that build…..you know I could hear this representing the UK at Eurovision….I mean that as a compliment btw….it’s chart worthy , ear wormy hooky….

I bow to your greatness lol….seriously man you are class !

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2022, 08:47:50 PM »
Yo Leo.

This is a lovely,catchy pop song and I know we all do it,but I don't care much for labels,this is just a good track.

Your voice is a million miles away from the bland,processed vocals I hear from most BBs. Mind you I don't listen long,so readily admit I may not be an expert.   ;D

A pleasure to listen Leo and I hope darling daughter appreciated the work. 

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2022, 12:08:50 AM »
@MichaelA Thank you Michael.😄🎶👊🏻🎶
@kafla Aww…thanks man, you are giving me waaay too much credit…I’ll need to buy larger hats!!😆 Thanks very much though, I really appreciate the support.😄🎶👊🏻🎶
@Skub Thank you for checking it out Davy, I appreciate it mate.😄🎶👊🏻🎶

Bankie

• Solo Gig
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2022, 10:38:03 PM »
A cool experiment, executed very well. I only have obvious stuff to say that you already know such as "it's catchy", etc. I totally appreciate this song for what it is, but I also had a quick listen to some of your other stuff, which I preferred. What a talented chap :)

bigFishAndTheSmallPondets

• Open Mic
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2022, 08:53:05 AM »
I think a lot of people regard perfect pop music for a superstar boy band as being trite. However, if you actually try to do it yourself it's only then that you realise it's harder than it looks. Coming up with a tune so spellbinding requires genuine talent and this is a perfect example.

The BSB would have been privileged to have had you as a writer. You have surpassed the goal of trying to imitate the sound of a boy band. I feel the melody has real emotional depth. You can really hear the tragedy in it. It's almost operatic.

I'm very impressed with the vocal performance. It sounds like a difficult one to sing with your voice fluttering over a wide range of notes but, I have to say, you made it sound effortless.

Fantastic.

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2022, 11:10:36 PM »
@Bankie @bigFishAndTheSmallPondets Wow! Thanks very much guys. What a confidence boost! I appreciate you checking it out and commenting.😄👍🏻👍🏻