Kill the Mood (New Single)

• 2 Replies

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« on: March 11, 2022, 12:29:42 AM »
A lot of you will know I've been writing for a band for the past few years. Now - finally - the first single of the new album has just come out... this one. Kill The Mood.

The song is about a couple who have been together a while and who have got in a bit of a rutt. While she tries to keep the romance going, he's too tired from working and, though he doesn't want to hurt her, ends up doing so anyway.

It's gone through many changes since I wrote the original lyrics (man, if I knew how much songs can change in production I'd have quit before I started!)

https://open.spotify.com/track/4h7XnQw54ulRb2eNHWMp9E?si=6824aa0589274b82&fbclid=IwAR0LRqb7HxRIUbVO8QpVtAhcr4Y4pQZkR7AAHQ5izwRZQ0SXDhNngziLZtI&nd=1

KILL THE MOOD

You light the candles, dim the lights and smile
Ol’ Blue Eyes serenading softly in the dark
You take my hand; your eyes speak of seduction
There are no walls around your heart

I try to find the energy to hold you
But there’s something holding me at bay
Another man is casting my shadow
And he wants to take my place
What am I supposed to say?
I'm too tired for this today

(You)
Whatever you do
(I)
I just kill the mood
(You)
You’re making your move
(I)
But I’ll just kill the mood

And I feel this line between us
Is building slowly up from the ground
There's no rhyme and there's no reason
Why the wall won't tumble down

You kiss me slowly and my heart should be pounding
Isn't love supposed to hit you in this way?
We became this thing I took for granted
There's no pleasure in the game
What am I supposed to say?
I'm too tired for this today
I'm a fool and you're my shame

(You)
Whatever you do
(I)
I just kill the mood
(You)
You’re making your move
(I)
But I’ll just kill the mood

(Turn on the lights, turn off the music)
I break your heart, baby
(Faking a smile just doesn't do it)
I just can't help on hurting you
(Turn on the lights, turn off the music)
You look away but I catch the pain
(Tears in your eyes - what am I doing?)
I try to reach out to you
Too late - I've killed the mood

INSTRUMENTAL

Whatever I do
I will kill the mood
You’re making your move
But I just kill the mood

(You)
Whatever you do
(I)
I just kill the mood
(You)
You’re making your move
(I)
But I will, I will kill the mood

Learia

• Busker
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2022, 02:28:29 PM »
When I read the lyrics, I was expecting a soft country-type song, and I still think that country song will be a better vibe for these lyrics.
The lyrics are very well written, they are exotic and creative. Just the line' I'm a fool and you're my shame' sounds very good but lyric-wise I think that it should be something else in place of 'fool'.

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2022, 10:49:08 AM »
When I read the lyrics, I was expecting a soft country-type song, and I still think that country song will be a better vibe for these lyrics.
The lyrics are very well written, they are exotic and creative. Just the line' I'm a fool and you're my shame' sounds very good but lyric-wise I think that it should be something else in place of 'fool'.
Thanks.

The lyrics were written to the music the band sent me and they're no country outfit. :P

These were the first lyrics that I wrote specifically for them (it was our second collaboration but previously they took lyrics I'd already written to fit their music and I just played around with those to make them fit better.

The line "I'm a fool and you're my shame" is fine as it is. The song is about a couple who are in a long term relationship but the daily nine-to-five grind has worn them down somewhat. He works hard and is tired. She's trying to stir up the romance. Inside he wants to please her but he's too tired. By the time he can summon up the energy to try to please her, it's too late (he's killed the mood). This line is him cursing himself for not trying. He's a fool and ashamed of his behaviour.