konalavadome

Vocal Delay, delay, delay only for specific words....

• 2 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« on: March 04, 2022, 02:19:20 PM »
it's heard very often at the end of a verse or a line, there's a super hooky word that repeats.

This is called a "Vocal Throw" and can be achieved in various ways, here are a few.

But before that, decide on how you want it to sound, clean, distorted, gettting more distorted with each echo? Then pick the right effect plugin , that you know that will deliver it.

SoundToys EchoBoy is a great allrounder.

Then decide how often you want the repeat, once per bar? 2x?

Do you want it to sync to the metronome?

There are few ways to set it up.

1. Duplicate the track, chop out the piece you want to apply the echo to, plonk the echo on the track, bingo...This is quite quick but can be CPU expensive, it also allows the same echo to appear later on in the song, but don't milk it, one is probably enough.

2. Do the same as above but don't duplicate the track, just carefully chop the bit you want the echo on, so it's a seperate Event/object, then drop the echo plugin on that bit, you might experience issues of the echo being cut short due to the proxity of the next vocal starting, so it's not my first choice.

3. Create an fx bus/aux bus, pop the echo plugin on it, 100% wet, set to the correct time and send the vocal track to the echo send using automation on the send level, so you only send the vocal to the fx bus, when you want it, the automation lane will look proibably like a shark fin, nowt, until the word comes along, then the echo buss needs the signal from the vocal track, then it doesn't. This is probably the easiest and most controllable.

It might a good idea to create another fx buss with the same echo plugin for 1/4 note, 1/8 note etc, so you can try it out using the same preset, but with different timings, then it's sure to sound the same, just longer or shorter.

Hope this helps

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2022, 09:52:33 AM »
@cowparsleyman

This is such a great trick to fill some space in a track between phrases

Option 3 is my own personal “go to”

I have also found that it is sometimes easier to not use a delay plugin at all

DAWs make it so easy to cut out the section of vocal that you want to repeat - so you can literally copy and paste just that section multiple times to create exactly the repeat you want

This method allows you to treat each repeat individually with clip effects (or put each repeat on a different track). You can even move the repeats around to different note values/volumes for each repeat without having to faff with delay times, feedback values etc.
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2022, 08:28:49 AM »
@Boydie - For me it depends on how I want it to sound, if I want a degradation using a BBD then I might use the send method, I often use the way you describe, it really is easy and a very lean way to do throws.