Tips on being af beginner

• 4 Replies

Guybrush831

• Busker
« on: February 14, 2022, 11:34:54 PM »
Hey guys,

I am new to the forum - I've struggled with "having fun" with songwriting. Music is clearly my passion and I enjoy listening to it and I love performing my favourite tunes.
I recently read a book which speaks about internal resistance against certain tasks and there was a point which really rings true to me.

I don't feel I've ever allowed myself to be a complete beginner, with no expectations, when it comes to writing my own songs. I've never created a setting where the purpose was not to judge what I have written. I have gone to open mic night, I've even released music but I now feel that these settings is placing "the bar to high" if that makes sense. It has been no fun at all.
To me it's not fun sitting alone, sweating over a song to then go perform it to strangers with a "put a smile on and plow through" mindset as if I'm auditioning for something - again I hope this makes sense:-)

My question is again - in which way can I instead be a total beginner, share a rough draft of a phrase, have some fun and enjoy music?
Which tools would you recommend? Can I record a single line in garageband? Post it on soundcloud? Are the better outlets? Or what advice would you give to at complete beginner?

All the best:-)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 11:37:15 PM by Guybrush831 »

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2022, 03:29:01 AM »
The answer for me was to take a songwriting class. The one I took was 6 weeks, one lesson a week with assignments. I haven't done research lately to find out where to find such a thing these days. The one I took is long gone. It was taught by Pat Pattison, so if you ever see any kind of beginning class by him, check it out. I learned a variety of tools to develop songwriting skills, which was very helpful. You could look around locally to see if there are any songwriting workshops available.

That's one idea. I'm sure there are more.

Guybrush831

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2022, 08:56:03 AM »
Thank you so much for your advice. I have also thought of using this forum actually to post small works in progress:-)

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2022, 10:08:12 PM »
Hey Guy, big welcome to the forum.  Your post resonated with me... I felt that way for a loooong time too... really wanting to make some music but kinda not finding a way into it and it all felt frustrating and pointless for ages.  I'm not skilled enough musically (and probably too timid) to just audition and join a band or anything... I had a couple of bands over the years formed with close friends but we all ended up in different countries so they mostly fizzled (although we still collaborate a bit remotely).  Then about a decade ago I discovered GarageBand on my Mac that allowed me to start piecing songs together by myself, and then another big step was finding this forum actually.  I remember being dead nervous posting my first song here about 5 years ago... but I didn't get laughed out of town like I expected to... in fact I got constructive and supportive comments... it gave me confidence and more motivation to write more stuff, as I knew there'd be at least a dozen or so friendly listeners here.  So I hope you get as much from this place as I have.  Anyway I'm probably not answering your question - my suggestions would be 1) absolutely, post small works in progress... one of the boards is called Feedback on Works in Progress and is meant just for that.  It doesn't get as much traffic as the Finished Songs board but I for one will try and keep an eye out for your stuff there.  And 2) collaborate on something.  It can be so much fun bouncing ideas off others and there are some really generous people on this forum (and brilliant musicians) who will help you out.  Not sure what kinda stuff you wanna make but if we're not polar opposites in taste I'd be up for a collab with you sometime later this year if you like (NB I'm not generous or a brilliant musician though...).  OK, just my thoughts, but once again welcome.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 10:37:13 PM by PaulyX »
It's all too beautiful.

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2022, 03:19:12 PM »
My advice would be to just write and write and write. It´s an art form that you develop over many years, no-one is ever the finished product. You don´t have to publish everything you write for feedback either. I have many songs that have never seen the light of day for various reasons, mostly because I didn´t think they were up to standard. It doesn´t matter. The more you write the more you´ll improve.

As Paul said, post on here in the Works in Progress section. You´ll get solid, constructive feedback.