konalavadome

Paris or Rome

• 8 Replies

Wicked Deeds

« on: February 11, 2022, 02:11:42 PM »
For Marie who continues to inspire me to write beautiful songs.  This marks our latest venture in buying a beautiful rural home together.  The deer come to visit when we least expect them  and it is simply heaven!

https://soundcloud.com/wicked-deeds/paris-or-rome-master

Paris or Rome

Two years since we first met; a  string of lullabies.
Beams of light, through broken glass still flicker in our eyes.
We moved to the country, seeking Paris or Rome.
I’m in love with this place, like the smile on your face,
this is home.

Sunlight in the morning, wild deer come to play.
They look, they
know we’re watching through the rhythm of the day.

The sounds of the traffic, their bumpers of chrome
so far from this peace, this delightful release,
this is home.

Her eyes are like like a summer’s day:
A firestorm of stars.

I’m in love with this place
Like the small on your face,
This is home.

Written by Paul Vasey February 2022

https://soundcloud.com/wicked-deeds/paris-or-rome-master
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 06:57:50 PM by Wicked Deeds »

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2022, 02:57:16 AM »
Quiet, relaxing, heartfelt. My favorite line: "this is home". I might have used that for the title, even. Lovely one, Paul.

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2022, 12:16:13 PM »
Thank you @Melusine2, your comments are very much appreciated.

Hey Vicki @CaliaMoko,  I too was going to call this track "this is home" but unfortunately I have several songs with the title 'home'. and so, I  decided to embrace the phrase "Paris or Rome". the message is simply that Marie and I  intended to find a home to live together that would equal the beauty of these two iconic cities and we have certainly done so.  :) 

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2022, 03:17:32 PM »
Ooh…this is brilliant.

Lovely guitar work and a sumptuous vocal…I don’t know if the sort of thing we do around here gets any better than this…and why would it need to?

Sounds like you’ve wandered into a fairytale…good for you, buddy!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2022, 03:56:23 PM »
Yeah, this is excellent. I love the guitar picking and fabulously suited for your vocals. So glad to hear that you are settled. I guess that you don't miss the road noise on your recordings  :) I too had some deer visit me this year, unfortunately it was on a main road and I was in my car at the time. Anyway, no harm done but it did make me jump. Your songwriting is always of a consistently high standard Paul and I always enjoy listening to your work. Quality stuff

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2022, 07:40:49 PM »
@PaulAds, i sometimes think that a big production is the only way to go as it is often more attractive to listeners than a single instrument/vocal. However you restore my faith. I belive the essential ingredients: the chordal harmony, vocal melody and lyrics have to be right or the short—comings of a composition  will be evident in a stripped back production. These are understated productions and I enjoy showcasing them very much.   :)

@pompeyjazz, those awful road recordings have really spoiled some of the work that I otherwise love. I'm pleased you noticed that this one is as I intended it to be.

I encounter deer several times a week on my way to and from work. They are lovely to observe but I have to drive with caution. It's so good to see them at home on my days off, away from danger.  I'm delighted that you enjoy listening. Lyrically, I'm always trying to catch my observations of life, to enhance the main message of a song. The deer are perfect to help express harmony in my relationship with Marie.

Thank you

Paul
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 08:46:07 PM by Wicked Deeds »

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2022, 10:32:25 PM »
Hey Paul, I was listening to this on my stroll to work this week, alongside a rural canal path... it was a lovely soundtrack to that.  It's a beautiful track, really simple delicate backing and all the better for it.  Lyrics paint an idyllic and serene picture... really relaxing and pure (we need a bit more of that in the world eh).  The sentiment reminded me a bit of the CSNY song "Our House" (I think Graham Nash wrote that about his life with Joni Mitchell in Laurel Canyon?) - musically they are very different but I like the way both use touching domestic everyday images. to conjure up something magical  You put it in "Works in Progress" although it sounds pretty finished... if you are going to edit it more the only thing I'd say is I noticed a few "lip smacks" etc on the vocal... probably because the vocal is so intimate and close to the mic.  Skub taught me to edit that stuff out once on a collab (trimming out the silences between the words) and I found it cleaned things up even more.  You're already polishing a diamond if you do any more to this one though... and please don't add too much to it... as you say the simplicity of the production is ace.  Tremendous work.
It's all too beautiful.

Stuart Scholes

• Busker
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2022, 07:54:54 AM »
Really nice job, well done. Thank you for sharing.