konalavadome

Mastering plugins

• 7 Replies

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« on: January 29, 2022, 04:01:46 PM »
I did an upgrade on my old Mac from os Yosemite to Catalina,mostly because all the browsers were getting cranky on an unsupported platform,all that side of thing went fine,but I lost two of my favourite end of line plugins,a compressor and a limiter that pompy had given me years ago. Also Logic Pro X now takes about 3 or 4 forced quits before it will deign to open,but I doubt that is solvable,I likely have to live with it. I'm doing no more updates!

The main ballache is the loss of the plugins and trying to find some that will give me the same fairly consistent results I've been used to.

I'm using an F6 EQ,a Logic in house limiter,then a Waves Infected Mushroom and finally another limiter to catch any strays.

Problem is,I can't get anywhere near the volume,the finished tracks are quieter,but trying for more just causes clipping.

I'm kinda at the stage I wish I hadn't bothered with the upgrade. All I want is good tools to do the job,I've no real interest in the spanners themselves,if you get me!

Anyways,any advice from you tech-heads is more than welcome.   8)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2022, 04:34:25 PM »
Jeez, a Waves infected mushroom Davy ? I can give you links to the old stuff that I sent you if that's any help  :)

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2022, 04:58:01 PM »
Hi Davy. I always use Thomas Mundt's free "LoudMax" on the final mix.

It's really simple...I think that's the main attraction for me...
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2022, 08:27:54 PM »
Jeez, a Waves infected mushroom Davy ? I can give you links to the old stuff that I sent you if that's any help  :)

@pompeyjazz You not a fan of the IM John?

Ta for the offer,I had the old stuff still,but it wouldn't play with the update,unfortunately.

@PaulAds Cheers Paul,I'll check that one out. 

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2022, 12:05:02 PM »
@Skub - I am sure you will find some excellent free/cheap plugins to make the final mix “louder” - BUT, before pulling the trigger on a single solution I would suggest pausing to think about exactly what you are trying to achieve

Broadly speaking, the trade off is being “louder” V “dynamic range”

Ie if you are at the point where turning things up will cause clipping, then any plugin to fix this will reduce your peaks (the louder bits) to allow you to turn everything else up to make the “whole” sound louder (compressing / limiting)

Whilst this is good from a “louder is better” perspective (eg when comparing with others and commercial releases) you will be losing dynamic range - which may serve the song better depending on what you want to convey, the genre etc.

I would therefore suggest that you MAY be better off revisiting your mixing - eg compression on individual tracks, using EQ to take away lots of unneeded frequencies (and energy) from individual tracks etc.

A cleaner mix will get better results from your existing mastering tools

I know it is a real pain having your current workflow disrupted (it happened to me when I had to change DAW) - but I would try to see the opportunities to review and improve your processes

It is clear you don’t want to get in to the “techy” aspects of mastering - but I think keeping the “theoretical” parts in mind (loud v dynamic) will help you choose the right tool and make the right decisions to support your song
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2022, 12:53:32 PM »
Hi Paul,thanks for the reply man,hope all is good with your bad self.   8)

I recall from years ago you preferring premastered songs to be around -9db,so that's always what I've aimed for before doing the final tweaks. I'm definitely not looking for a track rammed to the limit with no dynamics at all,so I get your point on that. That just wears out my ears and make me want to turn off.

All I aim for is to have my tracks on a uniform level,volume wise,but retain some punch. Compression has always been a hit and miss thing with me,I know I ought to make better use of the tool,but it makes me feel like I'm painting with my feet,sometimes.  ::)

I'd never even considered compression on each individual tracks! With vocals and bass,I try to make the recording/playing level as uniform as possible,then using vocal/bass riders to tidy things up.

You make a good point on seeing the disruption as an opportunity to experiment and improve,maybe I need to change my mindset a little and embrace options,rather than piss and moan about what can't be changed!

Many thanks for your input.   :)

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2022, 11:08:05 PM »
@Skub - Davy … in my humble opinion get the mix perfect and the mastering will be much easier,  I have a load of mastering plugins and strategies and as Has been said before a light touch here and there is often all you need, I recommend light use of the waves l3 limiter a truly brilliant mastering limiter, btw I compAred it to a weiss @£550 and i preferred the waves … loudness is important but keeping your phones  volume the same helps a lot so you don’t get fooled by the louder is better illusion.

I also swear by the townhouse buss compressor just brilliant on the 2buss…

Hope this helps