Couldn't Happen Here

• 14 Replies

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« on: January 24, 2022, 06:16:40 PM »
Took me months to get around to this one...but I sat down this afternoon and determined to write the lyrics and get it done. While I was thinking of ideas for backing vocals...I thought that cartoon foreboding sound would fit in ok (at risk of sounding a bit silly) and be at odds with the subject matter nicely.

Any thoughts/comments welcome  :)

Couldn’t Happen Here

Got a finger on our pulses
Got our knackers in a vice
Got a jackboot on our windpipes
In case you have to tell us twice

We watched your credibilty
Slowly disappear
Now we see you promising
It definitely couldn’t happen here

With shortages of carrots
All you’ve got’s the stick
You can beat them to submission
That’s Realpolitik

The writing’s on the wall
But there’s no need to fear
As we spiral to destruction
You’re pretty sure it couldn’t happen here

Got our hands over our ears
Got a clothes peg on our nose
We could see where this was heading
Through eyes tightly closed

A radioactive wasteland
Makes quite a souvenir
But it’s not much consolation
For what you figured couldn’t happen here

It could..and if somebody doesn't dial down the current/permanent foreign-policy insanity...it very well might.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 07:56:39 PM by PaulAds »
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Bostonfan2

• Solo Gig
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 11:04:23 PM »
Love the lyrics and the overall vibe of the song! Drums are thumping nicely
and the guitar & bass sounding real good. Vocals are sung quite well, if I had
one nit it would be to move the guitar off the main vocal to give the vox more
clarity, but thats just personal preference. Really dig the song, well done Paul!

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2022, 03:05:12 PM »
Love it Paul, great guitar and drums as ever.  I think the mix is good as well, I know what BostonFan2 means but it worked for me.  Has a great catchy chorus too.  I can imagine a room full of people singing along with you by the end.  No criticisms from me.
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

irwin

• Solo Gig
    • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCoYFKSWTAI&list=PLWHZTIkxOCWkm6lSQEDem0DQqTMSAoLVe
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2022, 03:19:47 PM »
Nice uptempo, busy, and keeping one's interest. I like the chorus a lot. The song is not long and that's a good thing. Glad I had the chance to have a listen. Sounds good my friend.
Need your music on iTunes, Spotify, Amazon, etc? Click DistroKid Link Below and Save 7%:
https://distrokid.com/vip/seven/2528627

https://open.spotify.com/artist/7nwjMIqpi8461amydZmWUC

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2022, 05:35:01 PM »
@PaulAds

Hi Paul, fab sounding drums and the bass isn't far behind. Nice tight lyric well sung and the chorus end part is particularly nice. Trademark style and quality!

Cheers

Jamie

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2022, 06:08:31 PM »
Hola @PaulAds

Your song has such a dynamic pulse, very positive, the music is debauchery, laughing so as not to cry. I love the arrangement and the sound.
I think it's a great song and a caricature-free portrait of society.
Me ha gustado mucho!!

Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2022, 06:43:27 PM »
Fabulous to hear another one from you @PaulAds. Those first two lines "Got a finger on our pulses - Got our knackers in a vice" just set the scene for the whole song - No holds barred and wonderful minor chord progression with great riffs and up and at em lyrics. It's the sort of real music that is sadly lacking these days due to the stuff that is spewed out from the ether. Good on you Paul for reminding us there is genuinely good music out there but these days, you just have to look a bit harder  :)

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2022, 10:21:38 PM »
Yeah this is super - a great mix of righteous anger and humour. Love the rhythm and pacing and that ‘cartoon’ melody in the BVs as you put it is a delight. Great lyrics -thought it was about a drift towards a totalitarian state until the ‘radioactive wasteland’ line, which made me think it might be about the Ukraine situation or summat (don’t tell me... the ambiguousness is part of the charm...). This style really suits your voice.
It's all too beautiful.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2022, 12:15:24 AM »
I love it, Paul. So upbeat and catchy to listen to. And lyrics that are definitely a cut above the average "out there".

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2022, 12:44:36 AM »
It’s really great Paul mate! Might be my fave of yours. That chorus is so catchy and I LOVE the backing vocals! My fave lines are “with shortages of carrots, all you’ve got’s the stick!” that’s really fab writing man. I doth my cap to you sir! Bloody good guitar work aswell.🤩🎶🎶👊🏻🎶🎶

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2022, 08:41:35 PM »
Yo Paul.

You inject so much passion and venom into your songs,this one yells in my face while I stand rigid,not daring to wipe off the spittle in case I miss something.

The song tells me you care passionately about your lyric content and by proxy you convince the listener utterly.

Anyway,looking at your cloud comments if it's good enough for Ashley Ledford it's good enough for me.   8)

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2022, 11:51:45 AM »
Amazing bit of punch there @PaulAds. It’s like a punky version of the best pub rock invented for our modern times. The drum beat is super bouncy and the biting guitar riffing take you on a 100 mph roller coaster that, before you know it, mean it’s all over!

I agree with the sentiment of the song too, but there seems to be some irony in there, it being set to such a joyous racket (if you ignore the bitter lyrics).

Well sung, well played - perfect little package that it is. Is also great to hear something new from you - you definitely sound like you’ve recharged your batteries 👍
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2022, 05:00:31 PM »
Hey @PaulAds, the guitars are soooooo cool.  I love the rhythm of this song.  You are the real deal my friend.  Your songwriting is excellent!  What a chorus too!  You're flying.

Paul

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2022, 12:04:24 AM »
Nice one Paul. I can hear an element of early Paul Weller in this one, though the guitars are more interesting, likewise the vox. No crits from me at all. This is right up my street..a great song. :)

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2022, 08:57:37 PM »
Fab lyrics @PaulAds - great punk-rocky sound to go with them and the spat-out vocal! Drums (again) really great.. I'm like your drum groupie :)!

Really love hearing new music from you - it's been too long.. hope they keep coming...

K