konalavadome

(Twenty) 22 songwriting challenge - 22

• 21 Replies

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« on: January 20, 2022, 04:02:46 PM »
Hi everyone,I trust this finds you all well.

The last 18 months or so,I've not had the inclination,or time to invest much in any music whatsoever,so John's idea of a challenge to attempt a kickstart seemed like a good one and here we are.

I fully realise I've not been here to listen and review songs,so I'm not expecting you good folk to fall over yourselves to take a listen. For me it's more of a chance to try to lift myself from the dreary,mundane circle of hospitals and care homes,with all it entails. It has all but sucked the life from me.

Anyway,enough pissing and moaning,this track is for all of you and all of me,wishing us all a year to remember for good reasons.  8)

Take care,you fine folk.

https://soundcloud.com/skub1955/twenty-twenty-two/s-m3Pk7jqv6ac?si=e5cbf248bd5c4771a7b5468425f0efa7&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 05:39:22 PM »
Hola @Skub

I'm glad to see you here. I really liked your work, I think it's a great lifesaver!!! Good guitars and good solo. I really like the sound and also the lyric.
I think it's a great song. Me too I wish it would be a good year..... Why not?

Muy buen trabajo

Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2022, 07:49:32 PM »
Hi Davy

Great song and wonderful guitar work...you're such a super player!

I'm so pleased you were able to pull this one out of the bag for us...it might even spur me on to get mine started :)

Great positivity in the lyrics too...but geez, man...when that guitar kicks in again...drool...

Love it!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 07:57:10 PM »
Yo Davy @Skub Firstly, how wonderful to see you back on the forum. I understand how what you are going through is draining to say the least. This is a lovely mellow positive upbeat number which I really enjoyed. Sweet vocals and how I have missed that wonderful guitar playing.

Welcome back Davy. You have been sorely missed

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2022, 01:13:29 AM »
I'm not surprised to see all the comments on the guitar playing--my favorite part. Carried me away. Love it. It's so great to hear your music again.

Vicki

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2022, 09:12:22 AM »
Wonderful song
And great to hear from you again

So sorry to hear about your last dreadful 18 months
I hope those sorrows are behind you now.
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2022, 06:05:49 PM »
Well the first thing I must concur with is that it is bleedin' marvellous to have a Skub song back on the boards.  :)
It's a really warm, positive song to return with too.
It presents a smorgasbord of awesome guitar touches to choose from.  I liked the harmonica too.  Also the layered vocals, especially in the section just after the 'party' sound effects.  And structurally it is interesting too - with the guitars and vocals taking turns, but not in a predictable verse/chorus/solo way... there was something almost 'prog' about the way it is structured... in that the structure is more about the ways it ebbs and flows, rather than the way it repeats (does that make any sense at all?!).
Anyway Davy sorry you've had a tough time, I really hope 22 will be better for ya and you'll have more time and inspiration for belters like this one.

It's all too beautiful.

Maya Clars

• Solo Gig
  • Follow me on Instagram (@mayaclars)
    • mayaclars.com
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2022, 08:48:11 PM »
A very nice song that uplifts you. I also hope that 22 will be better than the previous ones.
We can do it! Thank you for the song.

Maya

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2022, 01:29:26 PM »
That was about bloody time you got your sorry arse back to the forum, I've missed you!! <3
And sooo good to hear some new stuff from you.
Anyway, this has all your trademarks incl some fab guitars, is that a baritone? Strong melody, crisp mix, a great solo what more can one as for?
Only thing I did not like was the vox processing in the first chorus that felt a little uncalled for but other than that, top drawer stuff.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2022, 01:17:57 PM »
@Skub - Aaaah, so good to hear your voice again Davy, love the lofi touch in the prechr and the Start out of phase stuf, really like your phrasing of you solos, and the space you give the song, so good to hear a song that has oodle of solos, supposed to be unfashionable, but not to me, I dig every one, love the slide, also the BV's just after.

Just class.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2022, 05:24:16 PM »
@Skub

Hi Davy, sorry to hear about your personal issues, obviously a burden you've carried with you for quite a while. Hopefully the sentiments in your song signal a new phase of hope for you ( and all of us). Great guitar playing and some lovely guitar tones. Great stuff as ever, Good to hear from you again (though I've been away for quite a bit myself).

Cheers

Jamie

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2022, 09:25:19 AM »
I'm so glad you've come out of, what sounds like a very depressing situation Davy because this song is so good and so uplifting :)
The guitar sounds wonderful as do your vocals and the lyrics say it all...all that we've all been hoping for, for 2022  :-*
I haven't been around much myself, so thanks to John for posting this challenge and giving us kick start  :)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 11:43:06 AM by crystalsuzy »

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2022, 11:58:18 AM »
Fabulous guitars with great clarity @Skub and a really positive song too. You sound like you’ve been doing this for a lifetime, ha! 😉

The vocal harmonies towards the end bring a real warmth to the whole thing - which all in all is very sincere. The more edgy explosive guitars at the end made me wonder if hope for the future is a tenuous hope - maybe just me, that.

Really smashing to hear one of your again, as it’s been a while. Hopefully there’ll be more soon! 👏
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2022, 04:53:30 PM »
@skub,

Just what I expected, melodic songwriting supported by a lovely blend of guitars. 

I used to listen to a band called Shakespeare Alabama and this my friend is not unlike their excellent brand of music. 

Lovely solo to play this one out!  It's great to hear from you again after so long away from the forum.

Sorry for the delay in posting a review, I've recently been recovering from surgery and have been in the middle of a house move.

Best wishes,

Paul
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 07:46:02 PM by Wicked Deeds »

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2022, 12:10:27 AM »
I really like this. Great guitars - all crystal clear. Nice vocals with great sentiments - we need a bit of that just now. Excellent track :)