konalavadome

The Litigators

• 14 Replies

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« on: January 15, 2022, 08:17:27 AM »
Hi all, hope y'all good.

Posting "The Litigators" for gloves-off feedback.  It's the second one from my project where I'm writing songs based on the titles of a random row of books.  I thought I'd make this about those dodgy lawyers who ring you up and ask if you've had an accident etc. 

I seem to have a dodgy cockney living inside of me who emerges every 10 songs or so... he's back in this one.

Production-wise I wanted to keep it very bassline & drums driven, with other instruments being mixed quite low to keep them feeling like "cheeky touches".  The bass seems to sound radically different depending on speakers though so let me know if it works on yours.

Lyrics (and glossary for the non-Brits / non-cockneys) below.  Thanks all, have a great weekend.

Good morning to you sunshine, we're so glad you took the call
We'd like to jog your memory about that little fall
That you may have had last summer outside your neighbour's residence
So what if you were bladdered?  If there was a trip hazard, we can claim negligence

We're Times New Roman soldiers - the writ is in the post
No win no fee! Just loss of dignity, and your conscience may be toast
Coz we're the litigators

How about that little shunt in your motor causing delayed onset whiplash?
Imagine the symptoms, and all of the income - let us turn your smash into cash
Have you had an accident at work?  Playing Jenga with the boxes till you ran out of luck
It doesn't matter you were being a berk - coz all the bosses they don't give a fork-lift truck

We'll get what's due to you, no need to engage the Plod
You know what they say, extortion doesn't pay but SMALL CLAIMS, BIG WAD
We're the litigators

We'll get a deal for every squeaky wheel

That's right fella, we're the litigators, proudly standing up for the little guy, while as a consequence forcing up the insurance premiums of all the other little guys.  Oi!  Cease and desist.

Cockney Glossary
Bladdered = drunk
The Plod = the Police
Wad = a roll of banknotes
Berk = idiot

« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 08:21:27 AM by PaulyX »
It's all too beautiful.

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2022, 10:55:52 AM »
Hola @PaulyX

It's the first song I've heard today and I've had a great time listening to. I love the rhythm, the drums and the bass are great!!! It has hook and the lyrics, so acid and natural... Very good job, I've enjoyed it a lot and you've also put the dance on my feet and shoulders.

Me ha encantado

Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2022, 01:39:13 PM »
nice song performance and production
very clever
and even i appreciate the glossary.

Well Done!
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2022, 05:42:35 PM »
Hey @PaulyX - this is very clever and completely sucked me right in from the first beats/notes … bit of a Madness feel to it… star is the phrasing / vocal delivery and that bass is superb!

Loved it!

K

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2022, 07:39:19 PM »
@PaulyX - Lovely to hear from you again pauly, really enjoyed this, right from the off, dig the ska groove, nice bass sound. I bet you were smiling when you tracked the LVox. Aaahh a vibe solo wonderful.

I can hear some fun BV's in there somewhere. Pulled the sax off nicely.

Top song Centurwian.

Brilliant.

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2022, 10:25:20 AM »
You're on a roll @PaulyX, this one has all of the ingredients that Is admire in songwtiting: smart lyrics, cool harmony and the greatest challenge of all all melody. “Smash into cash# absolute quality! Ypu're a fine songwriter.

Paul

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2022, 03:53:53 PM »
@PaulyX

Hi, great lyric, loved it! Definitely has a 'Madness' feel to it. The arrangement and instrumentation were all very apt for the style.

Good work!

Cheers

jamie

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2022, 02:54:09 AM »
Hi PaulX,

I love this track! It reminds me a bit of 'The Specials', who I love :) Love the lyrics and the backing track is perfect. As others have said, it has a madness about it that really carries it to the next level  ::) Very cool indeed  8)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2022, 06:26:45 PM »
Ah ! This is clever stuff @PaulyX and I'm kinda fond of your cockney geezer alter ego. Love the theme and you certainly have a way with words.

The musical arrangement is clever too, it's a mash up of ska, soul and upbeat funk - Love the little brass stabs and the vibraphone - Plus that loopy bass is particularly fab.

Clever stuff and enjoying listening to your new output plus your back catalogue

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2022, 09:48:15 PM »
Yo Pauly. I happened to be listening to that collab we did a while back and man,it's as fresh as ever,the whole concept of your song just rocked.

https://soundcloud.com/skub1955/project-paulyx-v4?si=f1aab494b22e4c269327840c25c9a43b&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

Master at work!

This is as cute and irresistible as a bouncy puppy. Resistance is futile,this relentlessly clever song will wear down even the most advanced sourpuss.

The Madness vibe is present and correct and I can easily visualise the wide boi law abusers delivering their wisdom.

Yeah,I dig.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2022, 01:57:58 PM »
yes...this is brilliant!

Lovely bouncy feel and the vocal delivers the excellent witty lyric perfectly.

Great stuff, Paul
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Maya Clars

• Solo Gig
  • Follow me on Instagram (@mayaclars)
    • mayaclars.com
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2022, 08:40:59 PM »
The contrabass in my headphones has a deep sound which's good.
The combination of short saxophone sounds with the vocals is very interesting.
Positive and energetic melody sounds attractive!

Maya

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2022, 12:11:25 PM »
HI @Maya Clars @pompeyjazz @PaulAds @MonnoDB @cowparsleyman @Skub @crystalsuzy @Jamie @Wicked Deeds @moraamarolaloba @rightly - big Sunday thanks for the listens here and kind comments... yeah it definitely owes quite a lot to those Nutty Boys from Camden...
(& Davy, I had no idea you'd also posted our "Pirate Software" collaboration and it had got all those listens and comments!  Wow, that's the most listens I've ever got anywhere for anything... thanks mate.  You did all the good bits as you know... hope you'll be up for another collab sometime.)
It's all too beautiful.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2022, 12:37:59 PM »
@paulyx - a pleasure your songs are always entertaining, elizabeths mother and a few others are firmly pinned to playlist

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2022, 01:50:51 PM »
Hey, it has been a while has it not? Or maybe I've missed you posts? Anyway, glad I found this one :-)
I know you said you mixed everything but bass/drums low but I still can't help wanting the more of the guitars but then I'm a guitar plyer so I may be biased :-)
Anyway, really nice drive to this one, kind of a happy vibe to it, very engaging.
On my K712 with Sonarworks the bass sound "right".
Oi, well done!