A House in the High Hills

• 4 Replies

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« on: May 29, 2022, 05:43:08 PM »
HI,
OK so I'm about 4,000 miles outside my comfort zone on this one... but you're a friendly bunch.
This video is an acoustic demo for another one of my 'song for each book title on a random bookshelf' project.  That project was all about forcing myself to do new stuff, so this is my first ever YouTube video.   I've also never done an open mic or anything... never played my songs solo in front of anyone in fact... so it's all new. I'd appreciate any comments at all... on the song, or tips on delivery, or open mic suggestions if you do that stuff... and quite possibly you'll want to tell me to tidy my room.  :)
As for the song itself, for some reason the book title suggested the theme of running away... but realising you've run out of time to do so.  It's about not having the guts to put your plan into action.  If I do record it properly, I don't envisage it having much more than the acoustic guitar probably, as I want it to be a bit sad.

Thanks guys - gonna tidy my room now.

Paul

Lyrics:

A plume of smoke on the horizon
Green meets the grey above the landfill
I can't stay here in the city -I'll build a house in the high hills

I packed my bag 10 years ago
Tomorrow and me made such bold plans
Tomorrow is a lover who'll betray you - she'll leave you for a younger man

And the dog that I won't keep
Looks at me just counting sheep in my mind
On his time

When the going got tough, the tough got rattled
The movers and the shakers all stood still
It can't end here in the city
I need a house in the high hills

It's all too beautiful.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2022, 06:32:32 PM »
Hi @PaulyX - Well, this is great and well done for embracing the new Tech - Making a YouTube video of yourself is a pretty daunting thing to do if you haven't done it before. I found that when I started practicing to do some live stuff a few months ago I that I had never actually played my songs all of the way through, due to the nature of recording and also had to re-hash some of them for live performances. YouTube is great for when you're practicing as you can see where you are and what you need to work on.

I think that this number would work perfectly well with just vocals and acoustic just as you have in the video. It suits the mood of the subject which is fairly melancholy. Great to see you doing your thang - Cool  8)

Whiteorange

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2022, 09:23:47 PM »
I enjoyed this a lot. The intimacy of you playing live in front of a camera works on several different levels. If I heard this at an open mic I would immediately stop whatever I was doing and listen. I think you should just go out there and do it, if that's what you feel you should do. You have the chops, that's for sure.

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2022, 02:05:11 AM »
Yeah, well done! I had one stab recently at doing the live solo thing on camera and no-one's gonna get to see that!! Not an easy thing to do but it works really well here. A great song too. I enjoyed it. :)

Wicked deeds

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2022, 11:19:44 AM »
@PaulyX,

There's always an element of magic evident in a live performance that is often missing in a pristine studio recording. You have a lovely voice. You'll find your way in the live arena. As tempting as it is, try not to let your vocal compete should you use an  inadequate PA. Choose your performances wisely so that you may be heard. Try to be natural, just as you are in this performance.  Be happy when people are drawn towards your performance. Convincing 1 person, is a worthwhile gig.

Aside from the above, this is a fine song. Some lovely progressions are demonstrated and it's welcome to hear the contrast between chords that are allowed to sing and those that are a little more muted.

We should embrace acoustic performances here on the forum, live or pre recorded (Perhaps something to consider) Lovely to see and hear you play.

Paul
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 01:02:37 PM by Wicked deeds »