Deer In The Headlights

• 6 Replies

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« on: December 30, 2021, 11:58:07 PM »
Hi everyone,

This is NOT a good song!😆🤷🏼‍♂️ I’ve been in a writing slump for a little while now and this is simply me doing “leg day” at the gymn…just getting the songwriting reps in….determined to FINISH the best of the mediocre ideas I’ve had in the last few months….I’ve rolled it in as much glitter as I could find (and with two young daughters I’m lucky I found any!!🤪🤦🏼‍♂️) and this is what came out….it’s not all bad…I mean I love writing cheesy 80’s style stuff and I do like the song idea itself….why do guys propose in public if they’re not 100% sure she’s gonna say yes???😱🤣🤷🏼‍♂️ The chorus is not catchy enough to be a good 80’s track though….but I do love a sax solo…🤪…anyway….I can let go of it now and hopefully get back on track.

All feedback welcome! Cheers for listening.

https://soundcloud.com/leo-b-5/deer-in-the-headlights?si=537af1f7895e442da7983e0e44e561fe&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

Lyrics

She’s the apple of my iPhone
Got a pocket full of memories made
Never loved someone like this before
Tonight is the night, a surprise I can’t wait
She looks up at the jumbotron
Soon it’s gonna be halftime
And then right in front of everyone
I’m gonna show her how I feel inside

I reach into my pocket as Adele sings
I get down on one knee and see

Chorus.
She’s a deer in the headlights
And I can’t turn this car around
She turns and runs into the crowd
Oh she’s a deer in the headlights
And I wish I could take it back
Save us both from the heart attack.

I’m frozen in the moment
The camera lingers on my face
I hear laughter in the stadium
I cannot breathe I’ve gotta leave this place

I feel like such a fool, cos on the big screen
Becoming a fail meme…I see…

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 11:47:16 AM »
Sorry…I think I’ve missed a couple of your songs this year…I’ve been MIA a few times this year.

First off…what a super singer you are…there isn’t a song you’ve sang that couldn’t have been worth listening to just for the vocals alone.

I’ve been a bit up and down with writing too…we have to plough onwards and keep going…you never know what we might turn up with.

This is lovely. It might not be a full-on slice of overblown 80s saccharine-drenched pocket-money-mugging flagrant opportunism…thankfully…but it’s much sweeter because of its introspection and grace.

You’re a real talent…and I hope you get as much inspiration as you can handle in 2022
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 11:51:09 AM »
@LostBoy I should start by saying I am really not a fan of 80s style music, however, I think you've been a bit hard on yourself.  The chorus is good, but I know what you mean, the 2 lines that lead into the first 2 choruses (are they a pre if the words are different?  no idea ;D) reallky work, the delivery is great and so you do expect something that is a bit more 'up'.  As I say though, the chorus as it is works.  For what it's worth, on those 2 lines before the chorus, I prefer the first time as on the second you have added more synth and I think that removes a little of the drama and anticipation.

Oh, and The Apple of my iPhone  ;D. Brilliant! 
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2022, 10:52:49 AM »
@PaulAds @PeteS Thanks very much for the compliments chaps and for the great feedback. I appreciate it.😄

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2022, 01:38:32 PM »
@LostBoy - Leo, i tend to agree with @PeteS - it's perfectly fine as a song, no nits or crits at all, in fact as a "Meh"  it's way better than most low 20's chart position songs that were around at that time. Talking of which... I went out with Hazell Dean's niece, she kept giving me signed photos, but I kept flinging them in the bin, I was in to west coast jazz at the time ...Mrs Dean would have given (and should have given) here vocal chords for this song.

I just have this image of deer inthe headlights as a road kill, my Dad hit a wild pony on exmoor in the 70's and it was alright eventually, but the memory endures.

I never tire of listening to your work

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2022, 07:02:17 PM »
'She’s the apple of my iPhone' What a great opening line! And what a great production this is. I can't possibly criticise this because it's so well crafted and the vocals are everything I come to expect. Great song, really enjoyed it. :)

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2022, 07:30:43 PM »
Hi Leo, first up thanks for teaching me the word jumbotron!  I thought this was a cool track... tragi-comic lyrics that are quirky in the context of the emotionally charged music, that made me smile a lot.  As usual, your voice sounds pristine... dang you're a good singer.  Some lovely 80s touches like the synth drums.  I would have to argue with you when you say it isn't a good song... thought the chorus was pretty hooky without being overblown.  The fact that this song is one of your cast-offs says a lot about the quality of your output dude. Great work.
It's all too beautiful.