Moving to a different DAW...

• 6 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« on: December 06, 2021, 01:31:02 PM »
As many of you might know I've been using Magix Samplitude Pro X suite for many years, it's really clean and  clear, but I feel that the upgrade charge are not in line with what is being offered.

So I decided to go for a change, knowing full well I'd have to start again...

I decided on Presonus Sphere, a Black Friday deal. (Cubase was too busy, Pro Tools doesn't support vst's, don't fancy Ableton or FL Studio, Reaper is good but has lots of stuff I don't need)

So after a week, here's my thoughts....

PROS
Midi manipulation
Audio routing is excellent
One to many relationship between tracks and channels
External device handling, although control surface customisaiton is limited if one selects a pre determined model such as Mackie HUI/MCU
Automation seems well featured.
Good F1 help
Lots of resource online
Updates are included in the subscription
No bloatware, I have the VSTi's I need, don't want a load more
Has EBU128 loudness metering
Nice configuration options
Like the Focus for controlling plugins (Global/local)
CONS
Can't delete a channel, unless a track is deleted
Audio engine is quieter than SAM, and not as clear, Stereo sound stage just doesn't sound as detailed/wide (I really miss it from SAM)
Arturia V Collection 8 doesn't work!!!!
Tools seem to be a bit busy
No meter against the fader in the track lane
Struggles with performance, SAM was WAYYYYY better at coping with lots of plugins and VSTis (I have 48gb RAM)

Conclusion
Overall an excellent DAW
I have to re learn terminology
Be patient Rich....I feel like I felt when I went from Junior school to Seniors...

...But I can see the potential (would I go back to SAM? only if there was a show stopper function such as performance or quality of audio)

Anyway, thought you might be interested, anyone else made a similar migration? I'd love to hear from you.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2021, 08:24:10 AM »
Got V Collection 8 working now...

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2021, 11:12:12 AM »
Yikes!

That’s a lot to chew over.

I went from Garageband (apple’s almost cartoon-like free DAW that’s really quite powerful) up to Logic Pro…but it was too fiddly and complicated for a simple fella like me, so when the inevitable happened and they tried to stiff me for another £199 to get the newer “updated” version…I went back to GB and I haven’t looked forward since  ::)

During my absence from the forum…I tried Studio One (I loved one of the internal drumkits) but couldn’t get away with it. I also tried Traktion which I liked, but again found myself hankering for the familiarity of GarageBand, despite its limitations.

Of course, there’s a world of difference between your capabilities and mine with this stuff…but I’d be in way over my head trying to do anything like what you’re doing.

Having said that…I have been consciously trying to improve my recordings…funnily enough, I’ve found that the biggest factor in getting my stuff sounding better is just to actually play and sing it all better and with more care than I used to do. Sometimes I find I have to alter the song I thought I’d written in order to make a better recording…whether that’s ditching an overblown bassline or the wrong guitar sound…or simply a lousy vocal…I think that’s more likely to ruin what I’m trying to do.

I’d love to have your knowledge…but I’d be like the tramp who nicked a Savile Row suit and then wondered why he still failed the job interview.

A bit rambling that…sorry…but YES…I have tried to learn a new DAW and found it really confusing and somewhat infuriating!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2021, 09:56:59 PM »
oh shame you're not getting Cubase
that way we could throw brilliant projects at each other
"too busy"?! I don't know how. It's the only one I know well, sort of.

good luck with your new DAW!
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2021, 07:44:57 PM »
So what do you reckon about the Arturia V collection @cowparsleyman There's a helluva lot there. Just wondering if you've made any interesting discoveries as I've barely scratched the surface of it

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2021, 08:19:58 PM »
So great to hear from you all, I got a warm friendly feeling, thanks.

@pompeyjazz - Interesting discoveries, yes I have CZ has some lovely basses, and erasure tones, CS80 pads, mattix12 some huge sounds, dx7 80’s pop, the b3 is just sublime use the mod wheel for automate the leslie speed…sem is also great for human league…early depech, buchla easel fantastic for random stuff…i also like the wurli, i found the aas lounge lizard a better rhodes, the piano v is good for pop but not much else (i use VI true keys - 3 cracking pianos for £75)

@rightly - shame man, but i need things simple …

@PaulAds - blimey you have been busy, you’re completely right of course about the quality of the tracking everything else is sooo much easier.

It’s only practice Paul…I’ve only heard good production from youse….

@
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 08:27:55 PM by cowparsleyman »