PC with Reaper or Mac with Logic?

• 4 Replies

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« on: November 09, 2021, 05:21:48 PM »
Who recommends what? PC with Reaper (or other DAW) or Mac with Logic? I need to decide. I've never used a Mac but Logic has been recommended to me more than once recently, and I'm not happy with my current computer, so I'm trying to decide what to do. I do have someone who will teach me Logic.

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2021, 06:47:19 PM »
@CaliaMoko, I've only used Logic and not PC based DAWS (for perhaps 15 years) so can't comment on the latter. However, despite the expense associated with a Mac set up, I would simply say go for Logic. You will not be dissapointed!  It's easy to use and the results are fantastic. You could quite easily produce your music using Logic alone, without the need for additional and at times expensive software additions/plugins.

Good luck with your decision.

Paul

Paul
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 10:21:16 PM by Wicked Deeds »

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2021, 09:03:42 PM »
Thanks, Paul @Wicked Deeds . Another vote in favor of the Mac. So far it's unanimous.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2021, 07:47:31 AM »
I am the other side of the fence and have no experience with using a Mac or Logic for music production

I would personally recommend Presonus Studio One as a DAW (which is what I switched to)

One of the reasons is that Studio One is available on both PC and Mac, which enables you to “decouple” the software from the platform

I certainly don’t know enough about Logic to not recommend it and have heard good things so would definitely take @Wicked Deeds advice

Most DAWs pretty much do the same thing so as with any other software I would consider what features are most important to you and then do a compare and contrast

I do favour “buying good, buying once” - so compare and contrast the “big boys” - StudioOne, Logic, ProTools, Cubase, Sonar etc. (not all are available for all platforms)
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2021, 11:42:15 AM »
@CaliaMoko - I'm with @Boydie I've never used a Mac so I can't comment on those.

If you are in the market to buy a new machine, which you would were you to plump for a Mac and Logic, then you would be in the market too for a rather tasty windows based pc. Unless you will be using your pc for mobile stuff too, there's some merit in buying a desktop, it's easier to expand, and usually cheaper, they normally have more ports for more screens and more USB connections. On my laptop I'm out of RAM and Disk slots, where I wouldn't be on a desktop, something to bear in mind. I never make any music outside of my Studio.

As for a DAW Studio One is very good, but it all come down to how far you want to go, how easy you want it to be and what you want to do with it.

I know you are a reader, so a decent in built score/staff feature might be useful to you.

For example I like Magix Samplitude pro X5 suite, but it's a pig to learn, and is not perfect, but it does what others don't, you can apply auxes and plugins to individual slices of a tracks recording, which the music I make is perfect, AND it has an incredible broadcast quality audio engine

After all you can't hear if a track has been created on Logic or Cubase.

Wishing you all the best with your searching, looking forward to what you decide