konalavadome

A Matter of Time - New from Echo Dogs

• 16 Replies

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« on: October 17, 2021, 10:03:19 PM »
Hey everyone,

We're being a little slow with songs this year, other stuff getting in the way!

Anyway, here is A Matter of Time.  Is it finished?  It is as finished as it's going to be until I re-record everything for an album early in the new year.

It's had an interesting journey, I wrote the music a while ago but it didn't feel quite right.  So some months later, we sat down, took it apart and rebuilt it.  From the original it has a very different feel, I replaced the previous intro with a picky guitar and an airy yet bassy feel.  The vocals have more reverb at the start to accentuate the airy feel.  From there I built it up into a bigger rock song.  It moved from not making the next album to being near the top of the list.

I hope you like it.

There are times when I get low
Nothing works, go with the flow 
But you can’t command the mind
To make, things be sublime 

It’s just a matter of time

My mind plays up, hits the go slow
Always feel I’m on the verge
Like the tip, of an iceberg

Chorus
Wrongly punished for a crime
Before the Prozac starts to shine
Until the stars align
And everything’s just fine
It’s just a matter 
Just a matter, matter, matter, matter, matter of time

It’s not something I can control
No voice of reason in my head
So easy to be, misread

Mid 8
But it’s not a game for me
No easy switch to set me free
No it’s not a game for me
Nothing more than a silent plea
Always feels the same for me
Like it won’t ever leave me be
No it’s not a game to me
Can’t just flip 180 degrees 

Chorus
Until the stars align

Until the stars align
It’s just a matter 
Just a matter, matter, matter, matter, matter of time

New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2021, 09:58:52 AM »
Yes, I enjoyed this @PeteS Nice build to the song over the first couple of verses and good use of light and shade. The indie guitars work really well. M8 mixes it up a bit and I like what you did there vocally, not following an obvious melody. Strong track and a great one for your new album

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 01:18:28 PM »
Hola @PeteS

Cómo estás?

I like the atmosphere that surrounds the song, the guitar does a very good job here. I think the lyrics define a "general" situation very well. How difficult it all seems today.
Good track!!

Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2021, 03:38:30 PM »
Another hopeful song on the forum
I did one recently too

It's certainly a good song
there's a lot to like about it
I do think, though fine as it is,  it'd be better with backing vocals with just a  little harmonising.

well done!
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2021, 07:11:54 PM »
@PeteS - Nice to hear you again...I like the segue from WTWP, works completely as a follow on album

Intro
The verb works very well, super width and depth, the snare cross stick in the intro sounds a bit lame, superb vocal arrangement, 

Chorus
Maybe have a some bits of the chorus lyric as a Harmony Vocal (HVox) in chorus to thicken and add contrast, (as you have on the end of the verse, works very well), oohs might also work, although more cheesey.

Bridge
Could have a keyboard or a cheap farfisa organ in here, pumping semi quavers

Chorus after the Bridge
The vocal sounds like it's changed either in EQ or has a phasing issue,

All in all A great song

Hope this helps Pete

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2021, 08:13:40 PM »
@pompeyjazz Hi John, glad you liked it!

@moraamarolaloba Hi Mora, i am well thanks, I did learn a reasonable amount of Spanish when I bought an apartment down near Gibraltar but, in truth, there were too many brits, Germans, Irish and Eastern Europeans so didn’t get to use it.   Thanks for listening and appreciating it!

@rightly You are so right about the BVs.  Earlier versions had some on that I didn’t like but I am still looking at that for when I re-record it. 

@cowparsleyman Hi Rich, I’m glad you liked it!  The intro took me a while to get this far and I still think I will improve it when I give it another go. I really wanted that bassy, airy, reverby feel.  As for the side stick that will probably change as I did the drums without Neil’s input  :o but the point was to build from no drums, side stick then full drums.  I’ll let him have a play with it. 
Hvox I know will enhance it and have tried some things but nothing I really liked at this stage. 
The Bridge I’m not so sure about but I’ll take a look
The last Chorus should be identical to the earlier one, I agree that something sounds off.   I’ll fix it for the final album version.   
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2021, 05:21:36 PM »
Hi Pete - great chorus and love those singing guitars. The drums really hit hard and it's really engaging and stirring. It builds perfectly and doesn't hang around on any particular vibe which works really well.

I think the only question is over the vocal processing or recording - just a bit phasey or distorted probably.

One small thing, I would try to find a different way of phrasing "an iceberg" - AN ice BERG sounds a bit unnatural to me (though I appreciate the image!).

The rhyme scheme was challenging and you pulled it off without cheese. Other great lyics - flip 180 degrees.

Cool song and it sounds like my type of album. 

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2021, 05:47:17 PM »
Hi @PeteS

Great to hear a new one from you! Very catchy song this. Love the guitar in the intro. Chorus is really great - I do agree with the others that BVs in the chorus would really work and agree also that it could take some oohs (or actually aahs!) Partic in the last chorus.

The phrasing on ‘an iceberg’ also caught my ear - I would just run straight into it and not worry about dragging out the words to the end of that line. But then my phrasing is a little nuts at the best of times so perhaps ignore that 😁!

Have listened a bunch of times as I write this and I suspect I’ll still be humming it later this evening.

Nice work!

K

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2021, 07:45:43 PM »
Great song this. I like the way it gradually builds. I can imagine this really coming alive at a gig. It has that kind of anthemic feel to it. With that in mind, I think it could do with a really crunchy guitar driving it harder. Really enjoyed this  :)

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2021, 02:23:28 PM »
@adamfarr Hi Adam, thanks for listening.  A couple of people have picked up on the vocals.  Having looked closer at it, it was caused by the way I used the reverb on the mid 8.  That is out from the rest of the track that surrounds it.  I'll fix it when I re-sing it for the album.  The iceberg line has troubled us as well so we might re-write that line for the final version.

@MonnoDB Hi Karen, I hope you are still humming it  ;D. All points made are ones we'll look closely at.  Thanks.

@ChrisPrice Hi Chris, A more crunchy guitar  :o. I'll see what I can do!

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2021, 10:05:18 PM »
Hello mate,

Nice work on this one, it’s never too late to save a song eh?👍🏻 The chorus has a great lift to it….I do hear backing vocals on the “matter of time” even if they were a couple of layers of the same melody I think it would add a good texture to the track. Us bloody vocalists are always looking for more opportunities to hog the track though, so feel free to ignore.😆😊🤷🏼‍♂️
It’s no biggie at all, but it feels like it could finish at 4 mins? Again, just my thoughts, I listened twice….you however listened a hundred times, so u know better than me.😄👍🏻

Great job man.😄🎶👊🏻🎶

Theatreman

• Busker
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2021, 09:11:01 AM »
I love the guitar and backing vocals on this. Has an ominous presence to the production. I enjoyed the song a lot.

4Below

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2021, 01:34:05 PM »
I really like the 80s vibe on this.. in fact if you are re -recording this that's something i would embellish with a bit more of synthy sound ? just a suggestion if you are open to such things. All in all a good track (I also have a track called matter of time which is what inclined me to click on your post) Very Cure esque which is no bad thing in my eyes (or ears) Nice one !

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2021, 07:55:48 PM »
@Lostboy - There are vocal layers there but not enough and not high enough in the mix so that's one for the final version.  As for ending earlier, I was concerned that there was one to many Matter of times in there so again, I'll look at it.  Thanks!

@Theatreman - Thanks!

@4Below - I'm not sure I get the 80's vibe but i do get a few Cure comments on some of my songs so maybe that's it.  I am open to a synthy sound so I'll have a play around with it.  Thanks!  Did you leave and come back?  I'm sure I've seen more than 2 posts from you?

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2021, 11:41:37 AM »
Hi Pete,

Cool song.

Heavier than pop rock, but not quite straight out rock. Made me think of Big Country.
Very nice intro and the pre chorus builds nicely into the chorus.
Catchy indeed.

Digger