konalavadome

Burning (Star XD)

• 15 Replies

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« on: October 17, 2021, 07:52:26 PM »
Hi all, we're well on our way to another album's worth of material. This Reggae track, Burning is the first one to undergo a more complete mix and to be mastered so hopefully it's album ready. Here is the completed track. Hope that you enjoy  :)

Burning – Full of desire
Burning – Don't quench the fire

Long long road to freedom
Brothers sisters make your choice
Just peace love and understanding
Reach out to the world and start the fire

Bad men – Breathing fire
Hold on – To your desire

Fight for your principles
Fight for your rights
Don't let them drag you down
Not going underground

Fire rising from the ground
Times are changing, common ground

Burning – Full of desire
Burning – Don't quench the fire

Live for a better life for all of the world
Seek truth and justice – Stand by your word
Better tomorrow – It starts today
Keep up the fight – Don't stand in your way

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2021, 01:09:23 PM »
Hola @pompeyjazz

I love this fusion of reggae with those sounds of happy times. I really liked the song, the duet works very well although I think the voices of you 2 could have a little more volume in some parts, maybe it's just a matter of equalization, otherwise very good work and good lyrics!!!

Happy to see you back here!!!!

Stay well

Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 03:30:45 PM »
good ol' pompeyjazz with a brand new palette!

the man who will not be stopped with his intrepid delight in exploring every genre (mostly)

let's not go didgeridoos or bagpipes, plz.

lovely, hopeful song and well mixed as usual
the obvious association came up, Joe Strummer n' gang.

you've probably got the chops to pull this off live with nothing but an acoustic guitar to back you up.

Good to hear from you!
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 09:57:49 AM »
John, there is no doubt this is very polished, great reggae feel, the production is superb as ever.  However, for me, I wanted more of a hook to sing along with. 
Sorry  :(
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2021, 02:56:37 PM »
@moraamarolaloba @rightly @PeteS

Thanks so much guys, don't worry Rightly, no bagpipes and didgeridoos coming your way any time soon !!

An interesting point on how music can be so subjective as a couple of people said to me that they thought that this song had a strong hook yet you obviously didn't Pete. Just goes to show how we all interpret our music in different ways.

Thanks once again all  :)

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2021, 09:31:55 PM »
@pompeyjazz  Hi John, that is an interesting point.  For my sins I had to drive my son, Ben, from Poole to Stansted today and we ended up discussing this very topic.   He likes metal generally but played me a couple of tracks by a band called perfect circle.  A supergroup apparently with members from the pixies, nine inch nails and more importantly for Ben, Tool vocalist Maynard James Keenan. 

We started talking about changing time sigs in a song (one for @cowparsleyman) but ended up linking it to hooks and making songs memorable.  He played a song called Judith.  He loved it, but I thought it wasn’t memorable and tbf it just passed me by.  Proving the point that a hook is often in the ear of the beholder.   
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2021, 12:12:03 PM »
Huge guitars and production! I am just not a fan of slow reggae so not my thing, but I can appreciate the quality!

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2021, 10:17:12 PM »
Well that was fun! I’ve not heard a reggae track on here before. It sounded great! U sound lovely together. Great job on the production John. Do you use splice to get the musical skeleton of your song?…(forgive me if you’re playing everything..😱🤦🏼‍♂️😊) it’s just, I’ve just joined them and the content is crazy and sooo inspiring! Plus being able to manipulate everything with melodyne makes loops even more useful.

Anyway, great job as always and good luck with your new album. I’m only 40 mins away from you so shall have to come and watch u gig?!🤩🤩

Bostonfan2

• Solo Gig
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2021, 11:40:34 PM »
John your versatility amazes me and is quite inspiring. very cool Reggae groove,
love the lead bits thrown in and the production . you both sound real good as well!
well done my friend!

Theatreman

• Busker
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2021, 09:05:02 AM »
Great track. Love the slick and spacious production, and the loping reggae groove. Like the vocals too, but I wonder whether the vocals need a bit more presence in the mix?

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2021, 08:11:38 PM »
A big thank you for all of the feedback on this latest number. It really is appreciated. To answer your question Leo @LostBoy , No, I haven't tried splice although I have looked at some videos and it looks pretty impressive. I had a quick check back on this track and found that the only samples I used were for the horns. I do use loopcloud for samples but tend to spend ages browsing through sample libraries, often not finding anything suitable. I have although written tracks where a loop or a sample was the initial inspiration and then played the sample live with maybe a slight variation so I treat samples just as another part of the songwriter toolkit. Let's face it, you could choose 20 or so samples for a song but the skill is arranging them, pitching them, constructing a song structure and then developing a melody line and finding lyrics. Fascinating stuff. Ps, I'm in France, so probably not 40 minutes away, unless of course you are travelling in your private jet  ;D

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2021, 01:59:12 AM »
@pompeyjazz You're more daring than me. You cover a lot of different styles and you always do it so well. This is no exception. If I'm honest, I've got a bit reggae'd out over the years but I make a definite exception this. A great track. :)

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2021, 10:15:53 AM »
A lovely intro. Excellent production. All the @pompeyjazz trademarks are here. Underpinned by those lovely unexpected chords. This is melodic and has a very strong structure. It has never been a genre that I have been tempted to tackle but it clearly demonstrates your own influences. Many contrasts throughout. Well done to both of you.

Paul

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2021, 11:52:38 AM »
Hi PJ,

Don't give up on the bagpipes just yet :D
It's A Long Way To The Top (Ac/Dc) - awesome use of the pipes.

I digress.
Love the dreamy quality of that middle section, the way the notes are sustained.
Cool outro too.
Whole song has a great, chilled out vibe.

Digger