konalavadome

Iridium (Does it Chug? mix) Heavy metal by CPM

• 14 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« on: October 17, 2021, 04:51:21 PM »
For those of you that know winning HipHop on the Wheel of Genre, was a turning point for me, the only other genre I would have winced nearly as much would have been metal,...never liked it , never played it...

I have no idea, but I didn't want it to be boring, so there a 6/8 and a 7/4 section, with drum and Grt polyrhtymns and all that stuff.

Gloves off as usual (Studded please)

If anyone wants to try putting some screechy metal vocals on just pm me…

..and yes that is an archtop at the end, why not, I bet all those metal guitarists go home after a long night screeching and thrashing and plug in their Gibson archtop into a plummy acoustic amp and spend the night watching Midsomer murders with a cup of Horlicks...

« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 06:50:33 PM by cowparsleyman »

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 06:57:19 PM »
Hola @cowparsleyman

Happy to see you!!! The park is almost empty...

I like the atmosphere that the guitars from the beginning give the track.

,,,Maybe about 1'15 the track lacks another sound to appear that surprises and gives way to the following guitars introducing the solo at 1'50,
I love the 2'40 part!

Stay well

Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2021, 07:44:37 PM »
Blimey @cowparsleyman You have been on a journey Rich. The different time signatures and conflicting rhythms worked a treat. I was expecting to hear a big Deep death metal vocal. Love the way that you are pushing the boundaries of experimentation with each composition

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2021, 04:00:20 PM »
Hi @cowparsleyman

thrillin'
quite sophisticated (for me)
I'm tempted to PM you to offer vocals
I'd have to write something in the appropriate genre.

if I succeeded it'd be as unconvincing as when Prince would get political in his genius efforts. Would be as fun too.

the exit part is really nice too
well executed!

yeah the genre generally is a bit ridiculous, the vocalists often growl their way through the music, with their thoughts far from their little hometown in the provinces (I think they only dine on pizza. lol.)

Good on 'yer, buddy!
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

5 guys named Lars

• Solo Gig
    • 5 Guys Named Lars- Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2021, 11:14:04 AM »
LET THERE BE ROCK!!!!!!!  Over the smell of lubricant & leather , you can almost taste the amount of work thats gone into this  @cowparsleyman . :D . I doff my permawig to the gigantic guitar sound which constrasts nicely with the soft picking guitar. Captured the sound marvellously. Great fun.   

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2021, 09:49:34 AM »
Hi Rich, Definitely a metal vibe coming through but it does need those screamy vocals to bring it to life a bit more.  The different time signatures work surprisingly well, so well it takes a while to go, hey, something's changed!

Good work.
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2021, 08:20:59 PM »
Thanks for all that risked their ears listening to this…

@PeteS - you know Pete, I’m in agreement, it sounds more like a demo every time I hear it,  might take on @rightly s offer, but it might even try myself, why not …. A metalhead at work loves it and says it’s better without vox, he’s probably right! Would Ben be up for it?

@5 guys named Lars - Maybe one of you guys could sing something terrible and low enough to sink the mersey tunnel…Danish Metal….well could be a genre sprouting here, thanks for your kind wørds, it was very fast to do, 2 weeks all in. These different genres reveal how they are constructed , and this is pretty simple honestly (but not the drums- they were tricky), 2 drop D guitars, bass that sometimes follows the guitars, a sort of related clean/chorus gts picked and subtlety in and out of key, the big thing in this was riddum…counting , helped to mute most of the tracks whilst tracking the guitars…
Thanks for listening, take this to your local air guitar night and ROCK ON dude.

@rightly - Sophisticated, well man your smoking the wrong thing…it’s far from that, just a giggle really and an unfinished giggle at that, but feel free to hoik over your ideas.
Why not try one yourself….thanks for you kind words.

@pompeyjazz - thanks Johnno, yeah I think it needs something else, watch this space….la la la la la (5 gits named La)

@moraamarolaloba - Hi Mora, I know why the park is nearly empty…it this song! Do you fancy a crack at putting some vocals on this, might suit you mora?
I’m not surprised you like the 2:40 part…

Thanks again, I’m off now to eat some gravel

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2021, 05:08:59 PM »
A nice bit of Heavy Maiden as Alan Partridge used to say.

I have about three metal albums and I'm usually more on the punk side than the prog side but I can appreciate the atmospheres and skill behind this - the time sig change is amazing and sounds effortless.

Really liked the guitar tones on the lead guitars. I will say the chuggy guitar felt as if it had so much of the highs removed that it lacked a bit of character (may be deliberate to get out of the way of the lead parts); and to me the kick drum sounded a bit lost.

But it's a real piece of art and I am dead impressed again by your ability to get into a new genre.

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2021, 07:49:43 PM »
Wow, this is powerful with some really interesting timing. I can't sing this style else I'd be tempted to give it a go. So said, I really like this. I'd be interested to hear it with a vocal but it's pretty strong as it is. :)

Bostonfan2

• Solo Gig
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2021, 03:32:24 AM »
Wow, I think it's great. So creative, and filled with emotion in the playing.
really like the melodic lead work. this definitely needs a vocal!!

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2021, 07:29:54 PM »
Hi CP,

Well, I am a metalhead, so definitely up my street.
Lots of nice changes. I think it works very well as an instrumental. Got a late 80s feel to it - which is a good thing as that for me is when the best metal/rock/thrash albums were being turned out.
Especially liked the first half of the track.

Digger

Melusine2

• Open Mic
    • Crowdfunding Melusine Web Page
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2021, 08:00:47 PM »
Where is the metal lyrical singer 😁, interesting and close the " genre", like the lead guitar at 2’10. I like the development of it rather than the guitar riff of the beginning  🙂

Maya Clars

• Solo Gig
  • Follow me on Instagram (@mayaclars)
    • mayaclars.com
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2021, 10:21:27 PM »
Excellent heavy start, good bass, the sound from 1:26 is just so energetic! Wonderful performance! Amazing teamwork of musicians.
The song has 3 different melodies which has a whole atmosphere in it. It turned out interesting!
That's great

Maya

man made material

• Solo Gig
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2021, 05:22:46 PM »
@cowparsleyman  cripes Rich! What’s been going on while I’ve been away??! Metal?… is this a genre challenge or something? whatever brought it about, it’s brilliantly done… those drums are epic and there’s really well observed intricacies of the Genre, I wouldn’t know where to start with those time signatures… soo clever. Amazing playing too… I can imagine Metallica’s James Hetfield snarling over this… awesome job mate!👌
Sound formed in a vacuum may seem a waste of time...

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2021, 01:22:02 PM »
@adamfarr - Heavy Maiden indeed. Will never trouble the airwaves around Norwich (sighs of Norwichal relief), all my albums are vinyl, so good on yer for have metal ones, You are too kind by a long chalk, the lead guitar tones are actually the same guitar (a Yamaha SG1000) but put through 2 different Amp Sims, IK Multimedia's Amplitude 5 ENGL powerball, the other is a Diezel VH4 from Plugin Alliance, with differing Two Notes Wall Of Sound IR. I didn't purposefully EQ the Hi's down, I regret now not putting a couple more tracks down to thicken it even more, (I probably tried it and binned the idea).

@ChrisPrice and @Melusine2  - You're right of course it would be much better with a vocalist, watch this space.

@Maya Clars - Thanks for the review Maya, I appreciate your comments, to me it does sound like 3 different songs rather than a coherent piece, but It kind of works.

@man made material - I know Dude, it was a bit of a punt, a broken toe when trying to get a beer from the fridge in the dark...not clever at all, your'e too kind, it was just counting and thinking "What would they do" - didn't take long, some of my giggling when I was tracking this was due to how revealing this genre is, apart from the counting which is no different to any Classical piece, it's rather easy, easier infact than country picking, or my nemesis Ragtime, can never get that nailed.

@digger72 - Blimey have you been on the "Sauce"? I'm especially pleased that You like it, being a metalhead n'all really has made my day, I wouldn't have a clue where it's pitched, but I'm so glad you dig it digger.

...Now I'll get my coat