Throw It All Away (Ashes for Dreams)

• 20 Replies

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2021, 07:44:24 PM »
Hi Karen/JB,

Awesometastic.
Felt much longer than 3 minutes - but in a good way. So much in such a short space of time.

The opening bass and delays on the vocal set a great mood which builds so well into the chorus.
When it opened I was thinking this could be like a modern incarnation of Shakespeare's Sister, or maybe Alanis, but it developed into much more during the chorus. Can't quite describe it; I was thinking slightly proggy, or maybe late 60s Beatles in the way it built the melody upwards.
Loved how it then dropped back into the verse.

I always say it, but great stuff.

Production is fantastic.

Digger

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2021, 08:51:18 PM »
@bigFishAndTheSmallPondets you describe the lyric very well actually.. yes that's the M8 indeed.. and yes that's exactly where I was going with it..soul searching and then a decision point, although I don't actually say what the decision is  ;D Thanks so much for the critical listen and for your comments. Much appreciated..

@Melusine2 - merci beaucoup! You're very kind!

@5 guys named Lars Word! :) yes that bass <3 !! Thanks a mill for that!

@digger72 - what a lovely review! Delighted you like it! Thanks so much...

Thanks all :)

K

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2021, 12:47:55 PM »
Hi Karen - really like the modern feel to this one, quite different from some of your and JB's rocky soundscapes - the beginning sounds almost Billy Eilish-ish. (In fact I liked it less when the piano (sorry) came in around 45" - I think I would have kept it more electronic).

Love the song concept - I think it works so well that the chorus doesn't answer the question. The bridge section basically gives us the answer but the we go back to a chorus where we really don't know if our protagonist will pull the (figurative) trigger or keep trying to make the best of it.

Really great, thought-provoking and engaging.

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2021, 05:02:20 PM »
LOVE IT!!!
what a great production.........I thoroughly enjoyed this.
What a great collaboration..........
Good stuff!
                         -Tom
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2021, 12:26:41 PM »
@IronKnee thanks so much! Much appreciated!

Thanks @adamfarr. Noted re piano - Billy Eiishish, eh? I do love what JB did here - it was such fun to do! Yeah I kinda do but don’t answer the q in the m8… it’s interesting to hear interpretations… I (obviously) know what the choice was… 🙃🙂. And I’ve had that ‘what do you do if perfection disappoints’ hanging around for ages - actually I’m sure I have just like that on one of my (many many) discarded / unfinished songs!  Thanks so much for the critical listen and your comments!

Thanks again all - delighted with the feedback.

K

man made material

• Solo Gig
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2021, 06:53:40 AM »
@MonnoDB this is so dramatic! Love the build and chorus, your voice sounds great (as usual) in this, there’s power yet vulnerability too. The production is excellent and cleverly moves me through tension, fear and frames the hopelessness of your predicament, which is so eloquently written. A beautiful aching song by you and @Jambrains  ❤️👌
Sound formed in a vacuum may seem a waste of time...