back and in a better place

• 9 Replies

4Below

« on: October 27, 2021, 01:22:53 PM »
Hello (again) Some of you may remember me from a while back (Andyb) but I left the group, in fact I left social media all together, kind of cut myself of from it, I felt I just needed a break from it - I don't know how you other musicians feel about it but I find the lack of support from so called friends or family so stressful (and disappointing) So I just left, shut it all down, and got back to doing what I love, which is writing songs. Just for some background I started off doing the whole Royal Blood type thing writing and recording (and occasionally performing) my music exclusively on a bass guitar - I managed 3 EPS with this approach but did think it held me back from creating the music I wanted so released another EP which was a tribute to grunge music and was guitar heavy - not really considering myself a guitarist I had a steep learning curve and and I STILL don't consider myself a guitarist. This has now led me to working on an acoustic EP as the opportunities to play and support other artists are greater if I'm able to turn up with a guitar and do a little solo spot and not all of my back catalogue was easily transferred to an acoustic setting. Which brings me to this track, I wrote it for my wife (its her birthday tomorrow) its is unashamedly a love song with a little humour in it - purposely under produced with some choral backing vocals I am particularly proud of - I hope you enjoy it

https://soundcloud.com/user-214476590/blind-love?si=16067463bd484e1dbb8495eecfea5595

Theatreman

• Busker
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 02:12:27 PM »
Brilliant! Really enjoyed it. Great energy with a driving beat, unashamedly optimistic lyrics and a lovely spare production. Sounds really commercial to me (but, hey, what do I know?). Liked the guitar work too. I also empathised with your taking a break from social media and all that due to lack of support - know the feeling! Sometimes it's really tough to keep believing and doing what you're doing. Keep writing, though! It's REALLY good!

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 08:15:54 PM »
Good to see you back Andy. Can relate to your social media experiences, and friends and family, well you are very lucky if you get any feedback there. I like the upbeat happy vibe of this one and very catchy. Interesting to hear what you are doing in your live environment. Good luck  :)

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 09:58:31 AM »
Hi Andy, I knew you'd been here before, I asked you about that when you responded to my song.  I can also empathise with your experience on social media and friends and family.  My best friend didn't listen to my album just assuming he wouldn't like it, that hurt a lot.  Social media as a nobody is just so difficult as well.  In the end I guess we have to realise we do this mainly for our own enjoyment and for my part I generally love it, especially sharing experiences and music with everyone on here!

Anyway on to the song, I love it!  You're definitely doing well on guitar! I really like the section where it's just vocals and drums, really emphasises the point.  A couple of production points, the start is a little abrupt, just the way it is on soundcloud but I always leave a second or so of silence before to allow the listener to hear the first note properly. At 2:15 something jumped out at me on first listen and I can't unhear it on subsequent listens.  The vocal resumes and the distorted guitar stops but it feels like it stops in the wrong place.  It continues over 'Baby we' but mot 'know what'. Feels like it should either have stopped slightly earlier or have rung and faded. 

Anyway, great song and good to have you back.
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2021, 01:50:16 AM »
This is an awesome song. Great intro and love the way it builds. Really nice production and, all in all, a very memorable track. There's something anthemic about this. It would work really well live. Especially later on when the instruments drop out. Great stuff. :)

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2021, 09:16:22 AM »
Welcome back

lovely song
she must be delighted
(but I'll say this, I've written lovesongs for ladies before, the initial response was invariably confusion lmao)

Your song is a powerhouse, very positive.
Production is top drawer!
I can't criticise this in any way.
Well done.
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2021, 10:06:47 AM »
There are shades of Del Amitri here - never a bad thing. An engaging song which is catch from beginning to end. Welcome back to the world of music.

Paul

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2021, 12:07:23 PM »
Hey Andyb - nice to hear you again, this one has a cool drive and feel. Love the breakdown section and the BVs - actually they could have been even more prominent for me.

Guitar work suits the song and I think you shouldn't be not a guitarist anymore...

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2021, 01:06:46 PM »
Hola @4Below
welcome back to this balloon !! :)
I have read your text and I understand it perfectly.
As for the song, I love it !!! Very good job, your wife will be very happy !!!! If this is your new way, go ahead, the guitar is a faithful companion, it never disappoints, right?
Very good track!!!
Please, can you put lyrics!

Stay well
Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

4Below

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2021, 03:19:59 PM »
thanks for all the kind words everyone I've not really figured out how to reply to you all individually so I will try and cover it all in this message. For those that queried a few wee niggles in the production I have absolutely no problem with that often they are a result of my own short comings as a studio engineer, performer or producer and I am aware of them but sometimes you just cant fix everything post so let it slide but with the best will in the world I've never been one to go back again and again to get things perfect once I'm done with it I'm done with it and tend to just put it behind me and move on to the next project. I'll still get relatively few Spotify plays regardless of whether I fix these wee niggles or not ! Thanks @adamfarr for the kind words re my guitar playing. Paul @Wicked Deeds I actually went to see Del Amitri a couple weeks ago, great band and definitely an influence of mine back in the 90s, you are not the first person to make that comparison and I have no problem with that. To all of you who commented it means a lot as we are such fragile souls looking for justification in our work. I never left the music world I just left the social side of it as it all got a bit overwhelming still churning out the songs as much as ever - Ive got a lot to post on here that I completed during my break - thanks again