konalavadome

Brave New World

• 15 Replies

Wicked Deeds

« on: August 20, 2021, 05:29:26 PM »
Brave New World. 

After losing my Mam a couple of months ago, I couldn't concentrate enough to write and also struggled to read anything that I could recall.  Then suddenly, two songs arrived as I began to process recent events:  'Dress Rehearsal' and 'Brave New World".  I was fortunate when Mylene agreed to share the vocal for this song.  Her wonderful voice, skilfully delivers a stream of thoughts, culminating in a beautiful message to my Mam  "I pray she'll stand beside me when it rains.  Over all terrain, may her love remain.  When the chips are down, may you be around, in this brave new world, this brave new world we've found."  Thank you Mylene.  For my beautiful Mam Margaret!

https://soundcloud.com/pvasey1/brave-new-world-with-mylene

Brave New world

The summer sun will fall upon the rose tree in the grave-yard.
We’ll think about you often now you’re gone.

Long ago, it must have been,
before Covid masks and empty pubs,
once, we all were free.

The world was young.
We fell in love. I left my home and family
to chase  the stars above.

Hotel rooms in Durham town were cancelled over night.
Catastrophe meets chaos with delight.
I left the north, so sure that I’d return to see her face.
My mother passed this summertime, with dignity and grace.

Here we are, on the other side.
Our future is uncertain, still
we’ll walk the line with pride.

We owe it to her memory.
Happiness can still be found
though never accidentally.

I left the north, so sure that I’d return to see her face.
My mother passed this summertime, with dignity and grace.………
Such dignity and grace

I pray she’ll stand beside me when it rains.
Over all terrain, may her love remain.

When the chips are down may you be around.
In this brave new world, this brave new world we’ve found.

Written by Paul Vasey 2021

https://soundcloud.com/pvasey1/brave-new-world-with-mylene

« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 05:37:48 PM by Wicked Deeds »

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2021, 05:37:41 PM »
very well produced this one.
and quite touching
I'll give it another listen later
Always a pleasure to hear new material from you
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2021, 05:45:42 PM »
Hi @Wicked Deeds . Sorry for your loss.. but her appearance in this song is a lovely tribute. The words are beautiful - very strong lyrically indeed. I think it was a very wise choice to bring in Mylene to sing this with you - her delicate and beautiful vocal suit the mood so well.. The gentle arrangement also a fine fit for the song.

Wonderful!

K

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2021, 01:06:23 PM »
Hola @Wicked Deeds

It is a wonderful song, full of poetry as well as memories and emotions that Mylene's voice enhances with her beautiful voice.
I am very sorry for your pain and I hope that little by little, through your songs and thoughts, you will be able to turn that sorrow into a beautiful flower that inhabits your heart.

Have a nice Domingo!!

Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2021, 06:32:37 PM »
Hi Paul.........a very interesting tribute. The music and lyrics capture, very well, the title's ominous future. Love the hope that is layered into the lyric.
Good production..........very enjoyable.
                                                                     -T
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2021, 08:10:07 PM »
@rightly my friend.  I hope you are well an thank you so much for your review.  I've recently began to write again.  This is on elf two fully produced songs that I've taken time to develop.  However I've continued to record a number of new guitar vocal songs that I might just go on to embellish.

@moraamarolaloba,  I couldn't let my Mam go without writing and producing something the was really well developed.  It's exactly what my Mam deserves.  She was always so optimistic and loving. I owed her an uplifting and positive send off.  I'll always keep her in my heart!  thank you.

@Mono DB, so pleased that you enjoyed the lyrics and and recognise this as a "lovely tribute."  Mylene's voice is in a different class and I am so happy to have collaborated with her to present this song.

@IonKnee,  It is indeed a song of hope.  Thank you very much for listening and reviewing.

Paul

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2021, 11:12:37 PM »
It’s a lovely song Paul, you both sound so lovely on it. I hope that writing it has helped you cope with everything. Well done my friend.😄

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2021, 02:22:15 AM »
Ah, another duet. I love duets. And this one is so sentimental and touching. The production and vocals are so appropriate.

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2021, 10:00:15 AM »
@LostBoy, at Leo, thank you my friend. I've handled my mam's passing really well. I needed to say goodbye in song and hopefully a special one at that. Having said that, I was at the theatre watching 'Amélie' yesterday and during the interval, I was looking through old photographs on my smart phone. My Mam made an appearance in one of those photographs and I couldn't help reflect on how she loved musicals yet no one ever took her to see one. It was heartbreaking. Just when you think you've got over something.....

Paul

@CaliaMoko thank you so much.

Paul
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 04:31:54 PM by Wicked Deeds »

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2021, 01:35:57 PM »
Hi Paul,

Sorry to hear of your loss. Hope you're well.

When the song started I was thinking hints of End of the Innocence by Don Henley - but it was nothing like it as the song progressed.
Nice interplay between the vocals.
Thought the song and lyrics captured a reflective mood very well.

Digger

Doezer

• Busker
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2021, 04:04:05 PM »
nice tune. i like the duet approach. theres an 80s feel to those voices and the way they combine - i dont know why
slightly Prefab Sprout-esque the voice combination. (what better compliment could you ever receive than that eh? ;)

at the beginning i thought your voice was a little low it seemed to come through more as te song went on.
nice arrangennet and musicianship - but maybe the mixing could be that bit clearer or something

lyrics beautiful and heartfelt. overall a real nice tune..
i hope it has helped a little with grieving - its a great gift to be able to write something and just  send it out, into the ether

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2021, 10:55:27 AM »
@digger72, I am indeed well and hope that you are too. I wish that I had written Don Henleys 'Boys of Summer` the guitar playing is exquisite. Thank you for your review.

@Doezer thanks for listening my friend. I thought that perhaps Mylene  would disguise the Prefab Sprout influence. Though as you say, it' s a great compliment. It is a great gift to send out into the ether.

Thank you

Paul

Maya Clars

• Solo Gig
  • Follow me on Instagram (@mayaclars)
    • mayaclars.com
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2021, 09:23:16 AM »
It's very beautiful, especially the chorus where you sing together! Love the sound of your voices! Beautiful melody, charming vibe!

Maya

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2021, 09:52:24 PM »
@Maya Clars, thank you so much for your lovely,positive comments. It means a great deal to me as I regard you as one of the best songwriters to frequent this forum.

Paul 😃
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 09:54:35 PM by Wicked Deeds »

5 guys named Lars

• Solo Gig
    • 5 Guys Named Lars- Soundcloud
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2021, 07:47:39 AM »
So sorry to hear about your mum @Wicked Deeds . Lovely song & your two voices mesh together nicely..
Heartfelt lyrics without the syrup & the production is very tasteful with such a difficult subject. Well done to the both of you.  :)