Sold On You

• 12 Replies

jacksimmons

• Solo Gig
    • Jack Simmons Music Facebook Page
« on: August 03, 2021, 04:08:06 PM »
Hello all. It's been a long time since I last posted a song, but I've been recording a lot. I am trying to have as much fun as possible and not worry so much. And in that vein I've made some indie-punk/indie pop songs with my sister Jess. A lot of you guys will know Jess from my old musical project but I've got her singing some more 'grounded' stuff here.

This is a pretty simple guitar, drums, vox and bass track. I was inspired by Green Day and the Buzzcocks so it's a bit of a departure from the soft rock stuff I was making last year.

As always, all feedback is very much appreciated!

We have good days in the rain
Don't need sun outside
We have good days all the same
Don't need to sun outside, no

Have you ever loved someone more than a fad?
Ever pinched in a nerve that you didn't know you had?
Seen a lip that you shouldn't have?
Oh no

I'm sold on you
I'm bit by the bug they talk about
I'm sold on you
You're one they made it easy to adore
You make it easier than before

We spend our days trading smiles
We are the other side
No we don't switch the news on
We are the other side now

Have you ever felt the thing that makes you come alive?
Ever hit by a thing that you never thought to try?
Seen a face and taken to the sky?

I'm sold on you
I'm sold on you
You're the one they made it easy to adore

We have good days in the rain
Don't need sun outside
We have good days all the same
Don't need sun outside, no

Have you ever loved someone more than a fad?
Ever pinched in a nerve that you didn't know you had?
Seen a lip that you shouldn't have?
Oh no

I'm sold on you
And I'm sold on you
Sold on you
I'm struck with the bolt that I hoped for
I'm sold on you

« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 06:39:57 PM by jacksimmons »
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jack-simmons-1/albums
Bandcamp: https://jacksimmonsmusic.bandcamp.com/

"When I play a dope melody, anything less than the best is a felony." - Robert Matthew Van Winkle

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2021, 09:40:00 PM »
Woop woop! 🥳🏆 This is really fantastic mate…might be my fave of yours actually. You have a great voice mate, but damn, Jess smashed this! Its such a pretty melody and the way she sings “I’m sold on you” is ear candy at its best! Plus, it’s hard to sing fast songs anyway, but then u add a line like  “we spend our days trading smiles”, which would have been a slight red flag for me cos when I just SAY it…I stumble a bit….Jess however managed to make it flow beautifully. So big respect!👏🏻🎶👏🏻🎶🤩

The mix and music is fab mate! The song is gloriously upbeat and catchy. I loved every second! Well done to you both. I can’t wait to hear more!🤩🎶👊🏻🎶

Btw…what “musical” project were you talking about?? I LOVE musicals!!!😱🤦🏼‍♂️😊👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Also…Im sorry mate, I realised I never answered your question about me and midi…normally, yes I use a lot of midi and “session” guitar apps or vsts…to build up my tracks…however just on the last few tracks I’ve put out…inc “August Rain”, I’ve paid people on “fiverr” anything from £30 up to £50 to do a piano or guitar tracks for me….arranging and creating the music for my songs has always been my least fave and most time consuming part of the S W process.
On “August Rain” I used “Darcy” the session drummer on my GarageBand app….and EZ Bass, plus a synth from “SynthMaster player”. 😊👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2021, 11:40:15 AM »
this is a lot of fun
and sounds so effortless
lovely voice
nice to hear from you again
I like this new direction you're taking.
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2021, 12:06:33 PM »
Hola @jacksimmons

I really like the strength of the song, the style, the arrangement, the sound and the lyrics. Very good one!!
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2021, 04:59:35 PM »
Awesome Jack!  I love it.  I liked you earlier stuff but this is much more my sort of thing.  The composition and production is excellent as is Jess's voice.  Only think you might try is hardening the guitars slightly, somewhere between the razor buzz of the Buzzcocks and the punk of Green Day.

Love it though!
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2021, 10:54:36 PM »
Hey Jack, it's a delight to hear you exploring this different genre. Definitely channelled 90s indie for me... bands like The Cranberries or The Cardigans... that was a marvellous era.  It's a lovely piece of sunshine pop-punk - all the better for the (relatively) simple production, which fits the vibe... the percussion is well judged, your sis has got a great voice like you and delivers it really well, and the lyrics deliver the familiar 'I'm in love with you' message but in a new way without any cliche.  Hope you do some more in this vein.
It's all too beautiful.

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2021, 11:55:17 AM »
Hi Jack/Jess,

Great stuff.
Captures that late 70s vibe, but sounds fresh and modern.
Sort of Cranberries doing punk.
Not quite as raw sounding as those 70s punk tracks, but captures the energy well.

Digger

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2021, 03:25:01 PM »
Hey @jacksimmons - this is fab! Jam packed with lovely ear-wormy melodies… enough for two songs I reckon :-). Really great lyrics and some lovely and in some places, quirky phrasing which I love.

I haven’t heard Jess sing before - her voice is pure and perfect for this - beautifully delivered. Arrangement is great - I agree a little more bite to the guitars in places wouldn’t go amiss but not necessary all the same.

Sounds like you achieved the having fun bit too - love that snippet in the outro!!

Absolutely fab!

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2021, 12:11:33 PM »
@Jack Simmons
Love the energy here and Jess can sing.
Sounds like a lost indie hit.
The only thing I'm unsure about is the sound of the vocals, I'm not sure if its the room or fx, to my ears the sound just doesn't do her vocals or the tune justice, they sound a bit lame. Just played Growing Pains and you can hear the contrast..
:-)
neil 
songwriter of no repute..

jacksimmons

• Solo Gig
    • Jack Simmons Music Facebook Page
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2021, 10:42:51 AM »
Woop woop! 🥳🏆 This is really fantastic mate…might be my fave of yours actually. You have a great voice mate, but damn, Jess smashed this! Its such a pretty melody and the way she sings “I’m sold on you” is ear candy at its best! Plus, it’s hard to sing fast songs anyway, but then u add a line like  “we spend our days trading smiles”, which would have been a slight red flag for me cos when I just SAY it…I stumble a bit….Jess however managed to make it flow beautifully. So big respect!👏🏻🎶👏🏻🎶🤩
The mix and music is fab mate! The song is gloriously upbeat and catchy. I loved every second! Well done to you both. I can’t wait to hear more!🤩🎶👊🏻🎶
Btw…what “musical” project were you talking about?? I LOVE musicals!!!😱🤦🏼‍♂️😊👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
Thanks for the comments man, I'm glad you liked the tune!
The musical was something I was working on a while ago - I think three years ago. It was a sci fi musical about a girl who woke up from a coma to find the Earth had been assimilated into an alien empire. It was a lot of fun to do but I never finished it - I bit off more than I could chew I think haha

Cheers @LostBoy

this is a lot of fun
and sounds so effortless
lovely voice
nice to hear from you again
I like this new direction you're taking.

Cheers @rightly - it's good to be back. Seems a little quiet around here atm but I put that down to life opening up after Covid. Thanks for listening mate

Hola @jacksimmons
I really like the strength of the song, the style, the arrangement, the sound and the lyrics. Very good one!!

Thanks @moraamarolaloba - chuffed you liked the tune

Awesome Jack!  I love it.  I liked you earlier stuff but this is much more my sort of thing.  The composition and production is excellent as is Jess's voice.  Only think you might try is hardening the guitars slightly, somewhere between the razor buzz of the Buzzcocks and the punk of Green Day.
Love it though!

Thanks @PeteS - think you are right about the guitars. I think in my head Green Day's classic guitar sound was a lot toppy than it actually is. Went back and listened to Dookie and it's all mid! I'll be having a play around for sure.

Hey Jack, it's a delight to hear you exploring this different genre. Definitely channelled 90s indie for me... bands like The Cranberries or The Cardigans... that was a marvellous era.  It's a lovely piece of sunshine pop-punk - all the better for the (relatively) simple production, which fits the vibe... the percussion is well judged, your sis has got a great voice like you and delivers it really well, and the lyrics deliver the familiar 'I'm in love with you' message but in a new way without any cliche.  Hope you do some more in this vein.

Cheers @PaulyX for lsiteniong. Glad you enjoyed the tune. I think I'll be doing some more punk-ish stuff in the future. It's a lot of fun. And I think it lets you get away with a bit more production-wise which is always a bonus. I have to say I haven't really listened to The Cranberries or the Cardigans, perhaps I should. I know my sister likes the Cranberries a lot. Anyway - thanks my man.

Great stuff.
Captures that late 70s vibe, but sounds fresh and modern.
Sort of Cranberries doing punk.
Not quite as raw sounding as those 70s punk tracks, but captures the energy well.

Thank you very much @digger72 - this made me buzz a bit because I think that's exactly the sound I was after. 70s punk inspired, a bit indie, but modern sounding. tbh I think for one dude in a bedroom studio it's actually super hard to get the 'raw' sound anyway. A lot of credit to those early punks

Hey @jacksimmons - this is fab! Jam packed with lovely ear-wormy melodies… enough for two songs I reckon :-). Really great lyrics and some lovely and in some places, quirky phrasing which I love.
I haven’t heard Jess sing before - her voice is pure and perfect for this - beautifully delivered. Arrangement is great - I agree a little more bite to the guitars in places wouldn’t go amiss but not necessary all the same.
Sounds like you achieved the having fun bit too - love that snippet in the outro!!
Absolutely fab!

haha I am glad you liked the little snippet at the end @MonnoDB I've been sprinkling them in to some of my new stuff. I always have a ton of fun recording with my Dad and/or sister and just didn't want to get rid of every outtake. Some of them are gold. Thank you for listening. Thanks for liking it as well. And yeah I am revisiting this a bit to tweak with the guitar/vocal balance - I think you're right about more bite.

@Jack Simmons
Love the energy here and Jess can sing.
Sounds like a lost indie hit.
The only thing I'm unsure about is the sound of the vocals, I'm not sure if its the room or fx, to my ears the sound just doesn't do her vocals or the tune justice, they sound a bit lame. Just played Growing Pains and you can hear the contrast..

Cheers @Neil C ! I have been back and forthing over the nitty gritty of the vocal a lot. Any idea what it could do with? I have since brought it up a little and added some top end to help it cut through the guitars a little bit. If it's an EQ/balance thing, easy to fix, if it's a performance thing that is a little harder but can still be sorted.

Cheers for the feedback everyone! Invaluable as ever!

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jack-simmons-1/albums
Bandcamp: https://jacksimmonsmusic.bandcamp.com/

"When I play a dope melody, anything less than the best is a felony." - Robert Matthew Van Winkle

hariad

• Busker
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2021, 10:57:52 PM »
Your sister has such a cool voice, I'd love to hear her cover a Kate Bush song! Enjoyed this listen :)

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2021, 01:08:42 AM »
Bloody hell..this is great!! A classy, tuneful voice like that shouldn't work on something so punchy but it most certainly does. It's powerful as hell and yet really melodic at the same time. Absolutely no crits here. A terrific song. :)

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2021, 09:26:04 PM »
@jacksimmons A cracking song. Can't really add anything to what anyone else as said. Simply great.