konalavadome

What Drives You? Version 2

• 10 Replies

moptop

• Busker
« on: July 08, 2021, 03:37:26 AM »
Hello all,

this is my first post here, thanks for having me.  Just thought I'd throw this one out there to break the ice.  Appreciate any feedback and comments! Lyrics are below and also on the SC page.

All the best and thanks again,
Moptop

https://soundcloud.com/user-296202890/doms-what-drives-you-5

What Drives You?
Words by Steve Lundgren
Music and Musical Performances by
Dominick B. Giarraputo
Copyright © 2021

CHORUS
What Drives You?
What Drives You?
Climb out of bed
And chase your day
What Drives You?
What Drives You?
Feels like you're shot
From a cannon today

VS 1
Coffee in one hand
Keys in the other
Head out on the road
Ready for another
Barely get to work
They send you out right away
Looks like it's going to be
One of those days

CHORUS
What Drives You?
What Drives You?
Climb out of bed
And chase your day
What Drives You?
What Drives You?
Feels like you're shot
From a cannon today

VS 2
You get to your first stop
Hmm, just in time
Customer is pleased
Who's next in line?
So much to do
Try to catch my breath
Running at this pace
Is gonna be my death

CHORUS
What Drives You?
What Drives You?
Climb out of bed
And chase your day

What Drives You?
What Drives You?
Feels like you're shot
From a cannon today

BRIDGE
Amid the chaos given
Pause by the day
Blue skies and cornfields
Along the way
Pass office buildings
With their captives inside
You're free to run
On this open road ride

VS 3
Day is winding down
Just two stops to go
Been a hero all day
And they tell you so
Back at the shop
War stories to tell
Details about your day
From heaven to hell

CHORUS
What Drives You?
What Drives You?
Climb out of bed
And chase your day
What Drives You?
What Drives You?
Feels like you're shot
From a cannon today

Repeat chorus

Take care!

Moptop

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 10:42:43 AM »
Hola @moptop

It is such a catchy and joyful song, I have nothing to criticize here, I will just let myself be carried away by the rhythm. It has made me remember when I was younger getting out of bed thinking what adventures will happen to me this day..
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

moptop

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 01:05:32 PM »
Thanks Mora,

I appreciate your kind words.  Yes, it does have a happier feel than version #1.

Take care!

Moptop

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2021, 02:09:13 PM »
Hi @moptop, I hate saying it reminds me of this or that because this is your original sound, but.....a definite feel of Belle and Sebastian.  It's a happy poppy sort of number, makes you tap your foot and want to sing along so that's good.  It's well put together and sounds pretty polished.  Personally, I think I prefer v1 as it's more rocky although the vocals need tidying up and a slight over use of sound effects!  I guess it depends what direction you are heading in.  I listened to a few more of your songs and I think v2 does fit better with those as a whole catalogue of work.

A great first post!
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2021, 07:27:44 PM »
Hey Moptop, massive welcome to the forum, I hope you dig it here.  I enjoyed your track - to me it had a warm, charming, jaunty, old-school feel - it put me in mind of bands like Gerry and the Pacemakers.  If you want suggestions, I found the vocal a little hard to pick out sometimes - maybe shift the lead vocal take up a little bit in the mix above the BVs.  Lyrically I liked the positivity and familiarity of it... I guess anyone who works in sales or an office will identify with it (well that was my interpretation of it anyway).
It's all too beautiful.

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2021, 11:40:52 PM »
@moptop  Glad to see you posting stuff here Dominick. A wonderful song in a style which I've grown to love by listening to you on the other forum. The guys here will love what you do and this is a great example. You'll get some constructive criticism too but that's what these places are for. Keep em comin' bro!! I love it. :)

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2021, 07:04:55 AM »
I believe I've commented on this elsewhare.............however, it's worth pointing out again that this is great.
Love the vibe. You are very consistent..............great job. Thanks!
                           -Tom
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

man made material

• Solo Gig
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2021, 08:55:38 AM »
Hey @moptop  by your monicker I was expecting something in a sixties Beatles vibe and this has it in spades! A really fun jaunty piece, tells the story of working on the open roads really well, I would say that the vocals could do with being given a bit more punch to stand out a bit, but, that was fun! And welcome to the forum!
Sound formed in a vacuum may seem a waste of time...

moptop

• Busker
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2021, 01:12:24 AM »
Hey @moptop  by your monicker I was expecting something in a sixties Beatles vibe and this has it in spades! A really fun jaunty piece, tells the story of working on the open roads really well, I would say that the vocals could do with being given a bit more punch to stand out a bit, but, that was fun! And welcome to the forum!

Thanks MMM, appreciate the kind words. Yeah, I'm very much a fan of the 60's pop era.

I believe I've commented on this elsewhare.............however, it's worth pointing out again that this is great.
Love the vibe. You are very consistent..............great job. Thanks!
                           -Tom

Thank Tom, good to see you on this site! 

Hey Moptop, massive welcome to the forum, I hope you dig it here.  I enjoyed your track - to me it had a warm, charming, jaunty, old-school feel - it put me in mind of bands like Gerry and the Pacemakers.  If you want suggestions, I found the vocal a little hard to pick out sometimes - maybe shift the lead vocal take up a little bit in the mix above the BVs.  Lyrically I liked the positivity and familiarity of it... I guess anyone who works in sales or an office will identify with it (well that was my interpretation of it anyway).

Chris,
yes thanks very much for the tip about this site. I'll try my best not to disappoint anyone here!

Hey Pauly,
thanks for the welcome.  Well I can't take the credit on the lyrics but the arrangement and melody idea is mine.  You have a good ear as you are not the only one who has said the vocals are weak in some spots.

Hi @moptop, I hate saying it reminds me of this or that because this is your original sound, but.....a definite feel of Belle and Sebastian.  It's a happy poppy sort of number, makes you tap your foot and want to sing along so that's good.  It's well put together and sounds pretty polished.  Personally, I think I prefer v1 as it's more rocky although the vocals need tidying up and a slight over use of sound effects!  I guess it depends what direction you are heading in.  I listened to a few more of your songs and I think v2 does fit better with those as a whole catalogue of work.

A great first post!

Pete, thanks for the kudo's on the my first post here.  I am not familiar with Belle and Sebastian unless you are talking about John Sebastian? The Belle name doesn't ring a bell though . (sorry LOL)  Thanks for the listen of some of my other songs. Yes, V1 is more of a rocker and that's actually the version that we picked to use as the challenge song.

Thanks to everyone for your kind comments and the warm welcomes.  I've been a little slow on getting back here and I do apologize for that but hopefully I'll get to spend more time here in near future as I am looking forward to hearing others pieces posted here.
Moptop
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 01:16:53 AM by moptop »
Take care!

Moptop

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2021, 05:08:01 AM »
Ah - @moptop - now where have I heard this style before? :D
Nice poppy 60's vibe going on here - very catchy melody.
Not sure I get the hook though - the question is never answered and could be set up better IMO.
Lyrics aside, I love the music and your vocal shines as usual.

Welcome BTW :D
Paul

jamesh

• Open Mic
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2021, 06:03:09 PM »
Hi there

A nice positive vibe. I'm hearing some Beautiful South in this track. I feel like a key change somewhere might lift things a bit though.

Thanks

James