Whirlwind Romance/Ashes for Dreams (Headline Challenge)

• 20 Replies

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2021, 11:24:59 PM »
Hey Paul, thought the contrast on this one was great - the foot-tapping major key melodies behind some lyrics that are gob-smackingly chilling in places (the charcoal and bone line in particular made me go 'wow' and have a little shudder).  I liked the way the vocals give the instrumentation plenty of space too ... not too many words crammed in, especially the way the first verse takes its time to arrive, so we're firmly in the mood of the melody by the time the words show up to pull the rug out from under it.  I don't know much about the bombing of Dredsen (or about the war at all really...) and find your songs educate me on a lot of topics as well as being a great listen.
It's all too beautiful.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2021, 04:47:38 AM »
I absolutely love the piano! I wonder how it would work to use the bass line to give it an ominous undertone?

I really like how you always write songs with substance!

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2021, 07:18:08 AM »
Awesome. Love the piano playing. Great sound you have here. That bass line you have there is particularly tasty. I like the lyrics and melody line a lot.
Good, good stuff!!
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2021, 08:58:51 PM »
Hi Paul,

First up, Dresden. Beautiful city - worth anyone visiting. Simply amazing how it was rebuilt after the bombing. Love the place. Word of caution - avoid Easter, unless you like church bells waking you up at 4am. I was staying in a hotel right next to the church in the Alt town. Jeez, it was deafening.
Katja has just moved back there.

Slaughterhouse Five - really intriguing book. A bit odd - but a good read.

Digger

Bostonfan2

• Solo Gig
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2021, 10:57:49 PM »
Great job Paul! Man Love the bass in this, Piano as well. Your vocals
always shine, Great melody that holds it all together :)

The Holographic Rodeo

• Open Mic
  • Singer/songwriter & home-recorder
    • Bandcamp site containing my latest EP and previous 2019 album
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2021, 11:48:21 AM »
I thought the production and mix was excellent here. The intro maybe a little long although I did enjoy the piano. Vocals a bit pitchy in place though I may have listened to the wrong version as you mentioned you fixed things up a bit on the Soundcloud one. Very clever lyrics!